Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 06:28 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,607,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I don't have any enemies, not in any meaningful sense, but there are three people I would like to outlive. I don't spend much time thinking about them or wishing they would die but I look forward to being in a world where they're no longer spreading their poison.

Some people do make the world a better place by leaving it.
Oh, there are definitely people I would like to outlive, but that's not the question at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 07:14 AM

6,315 posts, read 4,223,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Oh, there are definitely people I would like to outlive, but that's not the question at hand.

Yes it is.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Do people really have enemies? If a relationship or connection with another person isn't working for you, sever the connection. Thus, they are no longer an enemy.

Yes I did at one time due to the extreme abuse, then I let go and trusted that karma will torment him without any help from me.

Last edited by Spuggy; 06-12-2018 at 08:46 AM..

Old 06-12-2018, 08:42 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,499,605 times
We bought a house with land from somene who espoused to be a church-going Catholic but misrepresented what he sold us. He wouldnt compensate us and a legal battle would have been costly. So, we shined it off to being naive and got on with our lives. His son later died of cancer and while I didnt care for the dad, i felt bad that the son passed away leaving behind a young family. But, in the Great Recession, the dad lost quite a bit of money due to bad investments so it was at that point i could say Karma.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:30 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,607,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Yes it is.
Please re-read the original post. It is not about wishing to outlive another person, but about enjoying the death of an enemy's mother, presumably an innocent person.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:22 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,884,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Do people really have enemies? If a relationship or connection with another person isn't working for you, sever the connection. Thus, they are no longer an enemy.
This is what I thought. If you hate someone, why would you even know if their mother died? Just ignore that they exist.

Even if the person is in your family or circle and you do find out this information, I'm not sure why you would waste emotion on them at all. Cut them out emotionally and move on.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,249,333 times
Quote:
There have been people in my life who I felt wronged me in one way or another, and I wouldn't mind seeing their actions come back to bite them in the butt in a way related to those wrongs, but no, I would not feel any pleasure to learn that someone they loved had died. That's just twisted, on several levels.
This is how I feel too. I don’t rejoice when people who have treated me very badly get sick or lose loved ones.

Honestly, I don’t think those would be healthy thoughts.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:25 AM

263 posts, read 234,882 times
It may be taboo to celebrate someone's passing, but there are some people that I won't feel slightly bit bad about when they pass. Some people are just better off gone and that's OK for me. If he made the point od his existance to make yours miserable then peace out mother***.

Just to clarify, my ex-friend bullied me with his friends due to me coming out gay in college. He even went as far as to have undermined my indirect mutual relationships. The school admins and deans were useless. The deceased did not do anything spiteful to me, it is just end of her close relationship with my formal friend that makes me feel better.

I would go as far as send pink flowers with rainbow flags to her gravesite or him with an anonymous card that says something about the people they motivated me to be true to myself of who I am on the inside.
Nah, too crazy and too much work, Karma will just take care of things for me.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:18 AM

61,944 posts, read 87,554,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwman2830 View Post
Because you hated your enemy but his mother did not deserve it. You just deliver pleasure from the fact that it hit him. How sick or normal is that? Is that common among people?
Being happy because someone's mother died - yeah, that's sick.
However, it CAN bring Schadenfreude

Old 06-15-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Please re-read the original post. It is not about wishing to outlive another person, but about enjoying the death of an enemy's mother, presumably an innocent person.

I did, I stand by what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology