Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 02:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times

Advertisements

It sounds like disharmony or acrimony or lack of appreciation for his personality - all with his wife with whom he is separating (divorcing?) - has made him feel unappreciated as a person and feeling that he prefers not to relate to people for a while at this point, due to what he has been through with his wife......or been through with additional people due to the stress in his marriage and life's responsibilities and obligations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 04:21 PM

405 posts, read 257,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgeonman View Post
I want to retire to a cabin out in the woods with only a big, shaggy dog for company.

Going into town to run errands and coming across other people while hiking around in the woods would be enough social interaction.

It's a major hobby of mine looking at small remote places to buy on Landwatch.com and it's become more of a 'need' as I get closer to retirement.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:43 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
A year of no human interaction is impractical however I understand what the OP is coming from.

Human interaction is largely insufferable due to the lack of courtesy and mindfulness of the average American. Most folks just couldn't care less and are perfectly fine with inconveniencing others.

Humans annoys me, they get on my nerves. You go to the mall and half of them are morbidly obese or tatted up. You go to the grocery store and they block sections with their shopping cart or shelves you want to access. You checkout and they take forever because they bought so much crap.

You go to the movie or on a plane and there is a crying baby waiting for you. You call customer service and you get put on hold for 40 minutes. You visit a local or chain business and you get rude service.

You go out to the club or bars and there are people starting fights and acting like trash.

There is no escaping human idiocy in this world and I don't blame all the people who live in secluded areas.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:47 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
It's just your inner "anti-social introvert" child speaking up.

I could easily live exactly as you envision, and would be more than happy extending the year.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
...I don't want to go into the woods...off grid...into a mountain...underground

I want to live alone...and have little to no interaction with live humans
oh I will watch tv...movies...listen to radio...but I can turn that off and on when ever
I will read...play guitar...do some writing...find some other solo fun activities or hobbies
But I don't want to talk or interact with anyone
I want to be left alone...I think a year will do it

I am a spouse and parent...however...and have a full time job...family...friends...

what is wrong with me
I fantasize and dream about this a lot
When I was working, with kids in and out if the house, and demands made on me, I wished for the same thing. You just desire space for yourself, where a job, housework, kids’s and spouse’s demands and fatigue are not dogging you every waking hour.

I still wish for days of no demands, and I’m retired!

Try to find some alone time every week, if you can. Say no to some demands, and be kind to yourself.

I’ve just read that any contact with the natural world can add to relaxation. So, give yourself a walk in a natural area, or a seat in a park, and just be for a little while. Give a small gift of just being to yourself every day or two.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:53 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
When I was a kid, the woman in a family that was close friends with us, had the same idea. She wanted to take a leave of a few months, away from her husband and three children. But I guess she liked her freedom so much, she never came back and left them all heartbroken. If any of them ever saw her or heard a word from her again, I wasn't aware of it. Be careful about what you want, because it might burn some bridges that can never be rebuilt.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:32 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
There are different degrees of social isolation.

You can very easily turn off your TV and computer, and even stop paying for a TV and internet subscription.

It quickly starts to get trickier and much less comfortable after that. You can sell your home and live on the streets.

You can quit your job and live in the woods off of freshwater and trapped squirrels.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:37 PM

192 posts, read 186,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
Mr. E. Think carefully before you take that plunge. I got totally seduced by all those Youtube videos. At 60, I sold my house, built a camper trailer complete with solar, fridge, water tank, etc, etc. Yes, I loved the six months I was out there and would have liked to do more, but it wasn't six months of blissful weather alongside a lake. There were very hot days in the desert, tornadoes in Texas, high winds and rain. Yes there were some idyllic days in the forest too.
Thanks for the great reply! I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll respond here and that's it.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but I'm glad you were able to get re-established. That's no small feat at our age! (I'm 52.) It really isn't the life for everyone... even those who think they want it. The camper trailer route you took is a hard one and not one I would ever want. Out of all the options I've researched, it would have to be a tiny house or not at all. (Gotta have the shower, toilet, A/C, and the feel of a quality built home, not a flimsy RV or camper. (Those things take a beating, even on smooth roads, because they're really not that well made and are known for having a lot of problems, even when brand new. Not to mention the massive depreciation!)

Quote:
It was a bit of work to re-establish when I came back to the real world, but found a job, rented a house and realize how lucky I am to have ac and running water again. You know that of all the people who are seduced by the dream, very few stay doing it. The Youtube videos paint a glossy picture. Bob Wells makes a hundred grand a year, plus, promoting the lifestyle and numerous elderly (mostly women) find themselves stranded in the desert when their ancient vehicles bite the dust. Very few others make any money producing videos too - it's pretty saturated and Youtube is more cautious about monetizing videos (even after you have the required 1000 subscribers) now, so it becomes people e-begging on Patreon.
Excellent points. And, while I wouldn't go top of the line vehicle-wise, an ancient vehicle is out of the question. Since this would be a long term, even permanent, choice for me, a reliable vehicle that is well maintained is a must.

As for the YouTube videos, I agree with you. Most of the people are there to make a living, not film their experiences out of the kindness of their hearts! I'm not into e-begging! At 52, I'm wiser in life experience than the Millennial Idealists on YouTube. I see right through the acting, fake YouTube personalities, and their hype. Besides, YouTube is definitely NOT how I plan to make a living online. I have multiple other possibilities in mind that include the only one thing I've ever wanted to do for a living - write. I have no, zero, zip, zilch, nada desire to be in front of the camera, especially today in a world of vicious social media barbarism.

Quote:
So consider well before making the major change. Hey do you want to buy an awesome little self contained trailer?
The changes I'm talking about won't be drastic for me. I already live in a 445 sq. ft. efficiency apartment, but the rent goes up considerably every year. (Built in '72 and still has a cutting board built into the mustard yellow countertop! (I covered it peel and stick vinyl tiles from Home Depot.) My rent? $915/mo. Ridiculous! Also, I own at least 80% less than most people, so even 445 sq. ft is overkill for me. Moving into a tiny house (saving now to build it mortgage free) would put that $915 to better use - living instead of existing.

Unfortunately, I think I'll pass on the trailer, my friend! Unless you're just completely over the whole ordeal, it sounds like that little trailer would still make a great way to get away for a weekend... or even a contingency plan if anything unexpected were to happen. Best wishes to you!

Old 08-19-2018, 01:41 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I guess I am in the minority here. I don't believe for a second that you really want to be alone for a year because if you did, you'd never take the time to post the desire to be alone on a message board where you have the benefit of receiving and reading dozens of responses from...other people!. We may all be anonymous to you, but this is still interaction with other humans, albeit on-line.
Internet and TV are different though, they don't really count much as OP specified live human contact. Live contact is contact you don't have much control over, whereas tv and internet can be turned off or perused on your own schedule, skipping over anything you don't like or agree with. Unfortunately it's difficult to do that with actual people.
As an added bonus tv and internet aren't draining the way that people can be.
Right now I still work so am forced to have contact with a lot of people, outside of work my 'contact' is mostly limited to forums, my kids, and a few casual friends. I'm content with that, and after I retire in a few years I'll be quite happy to reduce my live contact with people even more.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:39 PM

386 posts, read 327,294 times
Much easier to amuse myself.
Much easier to be responsible for my actions.
Much easier to be debt free.
Much easier to be efficient with time.
Much easier to be content.
Much easier to acquire serenity.
Live simple and free in solitude.
Avoid the noise.
Avoid the excitement that is being peddled by extroverts and the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology