Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 06:09 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times

Advertisements

I got stuck in a painful Uber ride that lasted far longer than it should with a flirty and sketchy driver. (Same partner for a long time, have had two kids with him so not dating. Just looking for insight into this behavior.)

The driver was a man of about 5'8, medium build, very skinny legs (got out of the car and was wearing shorts) and generally not a big guy. Yet he went on and on about how he used to be so muscular and big, worked out all the time, tough, etc. He also implied he was a great lover, had a lot of women chasing him, sort of a legend in looks and prowess, etc. This guy was average looking at best.

I found myself wondering "does this ever work? If a guy presents himself in a way that defies what people can actually see with their own eyes, does anyone ever start being hypnotized into believing his version of reality?"

And I realized that women do this too. I have a friend who insists she wears a certain size and is clearly a lot bigger than that. Yet she will go on and on. Maybe someone believes her, but if they do, its only because they are unfamiliar with women's attire.

So what is up with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 06:15 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
He also implied he was a great lover
I can't even imagine a convo with an Uber driver where something like that would be mentioned. Very strange.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I can't even imagine a convo with an Uber driver where something like that would be mentioned. Very strange.
Like I said, it was a painful, long and sketchy ride-- over two hours. Coming back from a conference and the bus we were all supposed to take broke down, so we got Ubers paid for by the company. I had a very long time stuck in this car due to Friday rush hour traffic but wanted desperately to get home. And this guy was not shutting up.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:19 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Yes, it works. It's that kind of attitude that helps guys who look like Steven Tyler and Mick Jagger become legendary rock stars.

Of course, it only works well if you actually have other talents to back up your BS.

Did you dock him on his rating?

Old 08-15-2018, 06:20 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
I got stuck in a painful Uber ride that lasted far longer than it should with a flirty and sketchy driver. (Same partner for a long time, have had two kids with him so not dating. Just looking for insight into this behavior.)

The driver was a man of about 5'8, medium build, very skinny legs (got out of the car and was wearing shorts) and generally not a big guy. Yet he went on and on about how he used to be so muscular and big, worked out all the time, tough, etc. He also implied he was a great lover, had a lot of women chasing him, sort of a legend in looks and prowess, etc. This guy was average looking at best.

I found myself wondering "does this ever work? If a guy presents himself in a way that defies what people can actually see with their own eyes, does anyone ever start being hypnotized into believing his version of reality?"

And I realized that women do this too. I have a friend who insists she wears a certain size and is clearly a lot bigger than that. Yet she will go on and on. Maybe someone believes her, but if they do, its only because they are unfamiliar with women's attire.

So what is up with this?
Sometimes it does, most times it doesn't; depending on the person. Obviously, it didn't work for you.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yes, it works. It's that kind of attitude that helps guys who look like Steven Tyler and Mick Jagger become legendary rock stars.

Of course, it only works well if you actually have other talents to back up your BS.

Did you dock him on his rating?
Yes. He had also asked for a tip, which is a big no no. And wanted me to refuse the ride so I could give him cash for it instead of Uber paying him. There was a lot going on.

I get that confidence can be appealing, but this was delusion.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Sometimes it does, most times it doesn't; depending on the person. Obviously, it didn't work for you.
But how does this work?

If I see an average looking guy who starts to brag about his exceptional physical attributes, and I can clearly see that he doesn't have said attributes, how does that make him appealing to me?

Old 08-15-2018, 06:24 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
But how does this work?

If I see an average looking guy who starts to brag about his exceptional physical attributes, and I can clearly see that he doesn't have said attributes, how does that make him appealing to me?
It works, just not on you.

I'm sure you've seen men you would never be interested in who are married to women who, apparently, found them attractive.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:30 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
But how does this work?

Lol, some guys can be braggadocios. Its quite normal in a lot of men, and women, too. Its no big deal.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It works, just not on you.

I'm sure you've seen men you would never be interested in who are married to women who, apparently, found them attractive.
Its not just about me not finding someone attractive or not. Its this...attempt at hypnosis.

Its like if I insisted the sky was yellow and it was actually blue. Would anyone really be convinced it was yellow?

Or if I said over and over "I am a genius!" and I was clearly not that bright. Would anyone believe me? (Oh wait, I know of an example where that DID work....and we all hear it on the news.)

Its not even an exaggeration. Its a flat out falsehood masquerading as fact. There has to be some kind of implicit agreement that this version of events is actually true. So I am wondering a) who is buying into this and b) how many people does this work on? And c) is there ever a day when someone who bought this line of BS wakes up and says "I don't know why I was taken in by that?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology