Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 09:30 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
A balloon popping - I don't like even being around them.
That's interesting! I mean, I'm sorry you feel that way, but it is kinda interesting.

Are you saying you don't even like being around balloons because you fear them popping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 09:32 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I recently got over my fear of using a navigation system. People have been encouraging me to use them for years. I refused and used paper. Stupid and unsafe.

I watched the Uber driving a few times and decided to get a cell phone holder. I guess I was just ready. I have seen people use navigation devices before. Weird. Anyone wake up and get over a phobia?

I would think this is more of a preference than a phobia. Everyone has the fear of getting into a car accident.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:45 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
I have a fear of putting on shoes I haven't worn in awhile that there will be gross bugs in them.

Just recently this fear has transferred to gloves as well. There's a moment of tension when putting on my gardening gloves and then relief when nothing is in there.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:12 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
For some reason, I have a hard time stepping on cracks in the sidewalk. I guess it goes back to the old "step on a crack, break your mother's back" chant of my childhood. It's irrational, but when I walk down a sidewalk, I'm subconsciously always breaking stride to avoid cracks.

I hate grates in the sidewalk, too. I used to be scared as a child of "something" down there waiting to reach out and grab me. Too many horror movies, I guess. I still won't walk over them.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:26 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
I don't have any phobias (that I know of), but I know someone who is petrified of birds.
He thinks they are going to poop on him.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:56 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I hate clothes tags. I can't even eat if one is in my field of view. I've had this phobia since I was 3. I'm 25 now.

I have Asperger's Syndrome, diagnosed in 1998 when I was 5.

I had some other odd fears when I was young. Vacuum cleaners, around age 3-4. Volvos, age 6-11. And one that actually made sense, airbags. I got scared of airbags around age 5 when I saw in the news where they were hurting and killing children. I got over my fear of the bags themselves around age 11 but couldn't say the word "airbag" until I was 14.
Yup. My autistic 14 yea old will destroy anything with a tag still in it. Absolutely cannot tolerate them; even if they are not in HIS clothing. Same with loose threads. He calls them “holes” & anything with a hole will be annihilated. He can rip denim in two with his bare hands.

Gets extreme anxiety when I use the vacuum as well. He can’t answer as to why but he has screamed: “You going to suck up the whole world?!”

Old 08-26-2018, 02:07 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
not as much a phobia as a "nails on a blackboard" revulsion - I can't stand when two forks have their tines stuck together. Can't stand the sight, sound, or feel of when you have to separate them.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I don’t like mice or rats. We got a rat in our garage last winter and I was skeeved out. DH rat trapped it, and I DID NOT WANT TO GO OUT AND LOOK AT IT, even though it was quite dead. I had lefts a pair of workshoes in the garage, and I was afraid of rat droppings being in them, and I asked DH to donate them. (Yes, I would not even touch them.)

I used to hate to smash bugs or spiders, but no longer. I use a rolled up magazine or newspaper to whack them dead. I don’t want them in my house, but I am no longer squeamish about squashing them dead.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:33 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I would think this is more of a preference than a phobia. Everyone has the fear of getting into a car accident.
No, it is a fear but I do not think it is silly anymore. It was acting weird at one spot. It is so hilly that I only saw sky. I could not see the ground. I was scared.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:34 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I have a fear of putting on shoes I haven't worn in awhile that there will be gross bugs in them.

Just recently this fear has transferred to gloves as well. There's a moment of tension when putting on my gardening gloves and then relief when nothing is in there.
Really? That is a strange fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology