Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 01:23 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times

Advertisements

This realization should give you relief. Don't take things too seriously, and know that you have absolutely nothing to lose by trying different things - risk failure. When it's over it's over. Capiche?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 04:06 PM

34 posts, read 21,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Thought about doing any self-directed further study? Maybe you're just feeling set adrift from formal education and its goal-oriented structure.
I think you are correct. I still have to study for a FE exam toward my practicing engineer license, so maybe I should get going on that.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:29 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Years ago, a geology professor who taught an elective science course at my alma mater used to give a lecture on the "miracles" of the Old Testament as examined scientifically.

His concluding subject matter involved the origins of the stone tablets referenced as the Ten Commandments in the Book of Exodus. Apparently a suitable natural rock formation (flagstone?) is found in the area.

But he would append that point by pointing out that the real "miracle" was the development of a "code of responsibility" in any emerging civilization.

And that was sufficient for most of us; find yourself a positive role -- and relish it!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-27-2018 at 05:10 PM..

Old 10-01-2018, 02:34 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
You are correct I am misinformed
His grandmother ms Dunham -raised him (like me) since 10 years old -she was a bank vp -but not fabulously wealthy white elite -as portrayed by many -not so much
The Dunham’s did ok but definitely not super rich -
So I am not the only victim out there
Maybe like obama More than I think
But no question about it we built it —him and me
We definitely were not just white and lucky
He also never said that, at least not as you and many others interpreted it... but that’s way off topic here, so I’ll leave it alone.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:16 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Think about the Mark Twain quote: On your death bed you will not regret anything you ever did -- only what you did not do.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:41 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendOfAMind View Post
I do not know where this came from but lately I have been stricken with thinking "so what? I am going to die anyway"

Regardless of what the afterlife may hold (heaven, hell, nothing at all, something else), I've been feeling as if what I do here does not matter. So for example if I build a homestead and live a self sufficient lifestyle that is great but what does it matter after I am dead? I can build up skills over the course of my life but I am just going to die anyway and go somewhere else. If I get reincarnated then my skills and experiences from this life are discarded. If human consciousnesses never dies and when we die we continue to "live" (this is what I believe) as nebulous beings, then does what we have done as physical humans really matter?

It does not stop me from doing things in the present moment. If I want to do something, I just do it. But, I do not necessarily have the future in mind. For example, if I am interested in watching a video about a technique in a video game, I do because that is what I want to do in the present moment. However I am not necessarily thinking about building my skill in this game long term, because I am going to die anyway. It is a very depressing feeling. It has been demotivating me I would say about 50%.

I realize that this life as a physical being and at least as "*my name*" is the only one I've got so I SHOULD make the most of it. But I am finding it hard. This does not mean that I am necessarily afraid of death. I used to not care if I lived or died when I was depressed. Now I want to live but also recognize that physical death is inevitable and that is okay.

What is your take on all of this? How can I program my mind to keep away from these thoughts?

TL;DR I feel that no skill I build or anything I collect or anything I DO matters because I am going to die anyway. How do I stop thinking this way?

I have only been feeling this way for a month or so, and never before in my life. I am in my twenties, so young.
You seem to be at a point in life that we all come to later rather than sooner. The "whys" and "hows" of everything and seeking to find out what the purpose of it is?

A life needs development. You are the architect of it. The idea is to enjoy your life. So build one that makes you happy. Plan your dreams. Set goals.

Physical death is not the end.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:27 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
I find this poem by a rabbi helpful---as it says, there is not a high point that has to be reached---just that life has to be experienced as a journey, with all its stages and making the best out of each one/day, until the ultimate destination of death:

We see that victory lies not at some high place along the way,
But in having made the journey, stage by stage, a sacred pilgrimage.

Life Is A Journey

Old 10-09-2018, 02:39 PM

110 posts, read 88,696 times
I agree with augiedogie. The purpose of life really is about knowing God through the sacrifice of his son the Lord Jesus Christ as payment for our sins. God loves us and a personal relationship with Him is an incredible gift and will give your life more meaning than you could ever think of having, with the ultimate reward of salvation from an eternity apart from God. Everyone gets to make their own choice. It is up to you. God bless.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:29 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Yeah, so what? Well, why just endure life and suffer through it when you can build something and have that satisfaction and joy? I don't need meaning in my life. I've been building a life for the past 20 years with a great deal of intention.

I don't see myself as having any greater purpose or mission from god. I don't care about my legacy. I want to live a happy life. That's the closest I've got to a purpose. I live in the moment. I cherish my loved ones. I take every opportunity to enjoy the life I have and to explore the things that I'm interested in. I built a career based on my unique and kind of random gifts - not a lucrative career, but a satisfying one working among people I respect and enjoy. I've cut crappy people out of my life. I try to do things for the greater good when I can and I try to behave ethically, partly because it's right and partly because it contributes further to my happiness.

What brings you joy? In your free time, do that and don't care about the outcome. Embrace the moment, not the future. Try some new things, just for the fun of it.

Yeah, video games are kind of pointless in my opinion - lots of time spent staring at a screen. So find something else to do if that doesn't bring you joy. I'll never be a great writer, but I write and encourage others in their writing because I enjoy it.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:27 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendOfAMind View Post
I do not know where this came from but lately I have been stricken with thinking "so what? I am going to die anyway"

Regardless of what the afterlife may hold (heaven, hell, nothing at all, something else), I've been feeling as if what I do here does not matter. So for example if I build a homestead and live a self sufficient lifestyle that is great but what does it matter after I am dead? I can build up skills over the course of my life but I am just going to die anyway and go somewhere else. If I get reincarnated then my skills and experiences from this life are discarded. If human consciousnesses never dies and when we die we continue to "live" (this is what I believe) as nebulous beings, then does what we have done as physical humans really matter?

It does not stop me from doing things in the present moment. If I want to do something, I just do it. But, I do not necessarily have the future in mind. For example, if I am interested in watching a video about a technique in a video game, I do because that is what I want to do in the present moment. However I am not necessarily thinking about building my skill in this game long term, because I am going to die anyway. It is a very depressing feeling. It has been demotivating me I would say about 50%.

I realize that this life as a physical being and at least as "*my name*" is the only one I've got so I SHOULD make the most of it. But I am finding it hard. This does not mean that I am necessarily afraid of death. I used to not care if I lived or died when I was depressed. Now I want to live but also recognize that physical death is inevitable and that is okay.

What is your take on all of this? How can I program my mind to keep away from these thoughts?

TL;DR I feel that no skill I build or anything I collect or anything I DO matters because I am going to die anyway. How do I stop thinking this way?

I have only been feeling this way for a month or so, and never before in my life. I am in my twenties, so young.
If you want meaning, get married and have a family and you will have a lot of meaning and many to rely on you, or otherwise just enjoy your life as it unfolds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology