Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 06:42 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Graduate Psych students are usually required to get therapy, regardless of their area of study.

Everyone has psychological issues. Not one person is perfectly balanced. How do you measure their severity to call it "nuts"?
Hahah - yeah, "nuts" is not exactly a technical term and should be disallowed, if anywhere, on the psych forum.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Precisely. "Resistant" is psych talk for "You're less gullible than I bargained for, and I don't like it."
You have major issues...too bad you're so resistant. But hey, if you're not open to therapy and you won't take any pills, you're beyond help. That's my diagnosis. Yup, I'm a therapist.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:00 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
I dated one, am related to another, and know a third psychologist. All three are a little weird. When I went to see a psrynk, I tried not to assume she was like the others.

Ok, shrink.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:02 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Maybe so. But if a doctor (including psychiatrists) messes up or can't heal the patient, he/she gets blamed fair and square. But if a therapist can't do the job, he/she just blames the client by labeling them "resistant". Or worse, he/she gaslights the client into producing diagnosable symptoms that match his/her personal beliefs or textbook training. In the end, the client is left worse off than they came in. While the therapist walks away without consequences and moves on to the next client. That's way more unfair than generalizing all psychs as charlatans.
Absolutely.

Therapist is never wrong (even when they are), always the patient's fault (even when it isn't), and the diagnosis is whatever they want it to be and that is that.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:17 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You have major issues...too bad you're so resistant. But hey, if you're not open to therapy and you won't take any pills, you're beyond help. That's my diagnosis. Yup, I'm a therapist.
I'm cool with pills. They can be an antidote to the poison of depression, anxiety, etc. It's talk therapy I have a gripe with. I already explained why. But if people have time and money to waste, all I can do is shrug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Therapist is never wrong (even when they are), always the patient's fault (even when it isn't), and the diagnosis is whatever they want it to be and that is that.
Thank you for pointing this out! It's like they won't even consider anything beyond their personal beliefs or textbook training. For example, if they ask how something made you feel, and you say something they don't expect or even "I don't know", they'll accuse you of lying. If that's good therapy, then I'm Donald Trump.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
There is an expression "Physician, heal thyself." I noticed in college that kids who became psych majors were trying to solve their own problems. Many TV and radio shrinks seem to be divorced multiple times. A teacher friend had a student who was the son of a psychiatrist who wrote parenting books and the kid was loony tunes as was the father.

Just a pattern I noticed
Yes, I read somewhere that most psych majors come from dysfunctional families, so you should consider the source, when asking how to have a "functional" relationship.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:24 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
News: Most families are dysfunctional. Now what? LOL

It's been my experience that many people labeled mentally ill are healthier than the "normal" population because they have to work so hard at maintaining mental health.

Not everyone is cut out for talk therapy. People who lack insight don't benefit much at all.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, any psychiatrist, psychologist or therapist worth his salt has his own standing appointment with his helper to keep his balance. Spending a lot of time with untreated people can warp a guy.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Maybe not nuts, but as aimless and wasteful, and not focused on wrapping things up.

They treat theories as facts. The human mind isn't something consistent and reliable, therefore the theories. But you can't use theories for every person, and yet that is typically their approach.

Also, because they often are more about talk and banter rather than solving problems. Sometimes the destination is what counts, not wandering along forever on the journey. It ends up more the benefit of the therapist (economically), than the patient (completion/resolution).
Because therapists don't solve problems. Clients do. Therapists CAN'T solve people's problems for them.

Also, given insurance reimbursement/managed care practices, I would say the reverse is actually commonly true...practitioners are more pressed to wrap things up in 6-8 sessions max, because that's all insurance will reimburse for. The pressure in the current environment, outside of ethically mandated pro bono cases (where there is no financial benefit to the clinician, anyway), is more to focus on the very short-term theories of counseling, and get people in and out in as few of sessions as possible, which is unfortunate for clients who would benefit from more time to build a therapeutic alliance with their practitioners. But this is the reality of insurance.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:10 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
From my Astrology studies, initially, I was quite shocked to discover Aquarius predominates in the charts of Psychologists/Psychiatrists. When I say predominates, I'm not just referring to one's Sun sign!

Hmmm....Aquarius is the most emotionally detached sign of the zodiac, so to them it's like a show. Gee! Is this how people behave having emotions? Who are these strange creatures?

Old 09-19-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
From my Astrology studies, initially, I was quite shocked to discover Aquarius predominates in the charts of Psychologists/Psychiatrists. When I say predominates, I'm not just referring to one's Sun sign!

Hmmm....Aquarius is the most emotionally detached sign of the zodiac, so to them it's like a show. Gee! Is this how people behave having emotions? Who are these strange creatures?
Really? Someone did the charts (not JUST birthdays?) of a large group of various types of therapists and found out that not only their sun signs but other stuff was associated with Acquarius? Point me to that journal!

That said, good therapists need to be both empathic as well as maintain a degree of detachment and objectivity - a tough balance for many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology