Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 08:47 AM

938 posts, read 446,664 times

Advertisements

Ugh ... This is just another thread where introverts like to think of themselves as 'more intelligent' than extroverts.
Give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 10:14 AM

1,279 posts, read 853,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Here are a few questions I wanted to run by you guys:

1. When someone is quiet, do you think it makes people around him or her feel insecure? Are they wondering "Is this guy hatching a plot to kill us all?"

2. Do you think being in a group setting makes people more disposed toward "picking on" quiet people? I find that when it's just you and that one person, there's no audience to entertain and thus no validation to get from the jokes (e.g., no one else is there to laugh), so people are not as likely to do it.

3. What are some witty comebacks to have in mind when people pull this stunt? Is it best to resort to self-deprecating humor? ("I know I talked your ear off. Wear headphones next time.")

1. Some extraverts suffer from what I've seen described as "verbal diarrhea": they just can't stop talking even though they should shut up. I consider it a form of mental illness, or at least an inability to think before speaking or even just be comfortable not speaking. I think that they literally just lack self-control.

2. Yes.

3. "I prefer to think before I speak, thank you."

Old 02-09-2019, 01:54 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
A few weeks ago, you may have heard about a meeting Trump held with Pence, Pelosi, and Schumer in the Oval Office regarding the shutdown.

A lot was made of the fact that Pence was in the room, but didn't say a word. I saw people on Facebook cracking jokes along the lines of, "Pence had a lot to say in the meeting."

I was reminded of that meeting after sitting in one of my own this morning at work.

As an introvert, I like to listen to what's said, review my notes, and later voice any questions/comments. It's just my style. I don't ordinarily do it all on the fly.

The meeting was boring and rather pointless because the head honcho who has to make the ultimate decision is out on vacation.

Regardless, it was a lot of information to take in, and the meeting was headed by an upbeat, talkative guy who works in a different department.

Once we were done, my boss asked half-jokingly, "You got all of that?" And then the garrulous guy jumped in and exclaimed, "Quiet down, you! Try to keep a low profile."

Here are a few questions I wanted to run by you guys:

1. When someone is quiet, do you think it makes people around him or her feel insecure? Are they wondering "Is this guy hatching a plot to kill us all?"

2. Do you think being in a group setting makes people more disposed toward "picking on" quiet people? I find that when it's just you and that one person, there's no audience to entertain and thus no validation to get from the jokes (e.g., no one else is there to laugh), so people are not as likely to do it.

3. What are some witty comebacks to have in mind when people pull this stunt? Is it best to resort to self-deprecating humor? ("I know I talked your ear off. Wear headphones next time.")
Pence is not an introvert and he wasn’t called out for being quiet. He was called out because everyone knew Pence disagreed with what the President was saying during that conference. He was made fun of and memes made about him because everyone knew he was twisting inside listening to the stupidity. It had absolutely nothing to do with him being a quiet person. I don’t know that he is one in any case, as politics is very social and your entire career is spent around people constantly, and charming those people.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:47 AM

938 posts, read 446,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Pence is not an introvert and he wasn’t called out for being quiet. He was called out because everyone knew Pence disagreed with what the President was saying during that conference. He was made fun of and memes made about him because everyone knew he was twisting inside listening to the stupidity. It had absolutely nothing to do with him being a quiet person. I don’t know that he is one in any case, as politics is very social and your entire career is spent around people constantly, and charming those people.
If what he was saying was 'stupid,' why such a high approval rating for his state of the union?

And how do you know what Pence was thinking?

It's be easier if you people just came out and said "I hate Trump because he beat Hillary!"

Old 02-10-2019, 08:25 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
If what he was saying was 'stupid,' why such a high approval rating for his state of the union?

And how do you know what Pence was thinking?

It's be easier if you people just came out and said "I hate Trump because he beat Hillary!"
It wasn’t the state of the union, it was that particular speech, I can’t remember what it was about. But I do remember the coverage of it, and that is why they were making memes of Pence. It’s ridiculous to say he was “picked on” because hes a quiet person. It had nothing to do with that, and again I do not believe Pence or any other successful politician is introverted or shy.

Update: it was the meeting with the Dems, where Trump foolishly offered to “own” a shutdown and said he was proud to shut down the government, which was uniformly seen as a stupid thing to say by both Dems and Republicans, and which did come back to haunt him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...ryone-noticed/

I sm not here to argue politics, but the whole thread is off because the initial premise and the reason why those Pence memes were made are wrong. Pence was not quiet in that meeting because he is introverted, and the media mocked him because we all suspect what was going through his mind and he was hamstrung from saying anything. It was not because “Quiet people” get picked on”. Pence is a successful pol he is not a wallflower socially awkward introvert.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-10-2019 at 09:01 AM..

Old 02-10-2019, 08:49 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasth View Post
1. I had a teacher when I was in HS announce to my class I am going to crazy and later tell them they should leave me alone and let me. She was the 1st of many with that attitude.
That's abuse of a student. If a teacher did that to my child, I'd have them fired.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
1. Some extraverts suffer from what I've seen described as "verbal diarrhea": they just can't stop talking even though they should shut up. I consider it a form of mental illness, or at least an inability to think before speaking or even just be comfortable not speaking. I think that they literally just lack self-control.."
There is a form of extroversion that is actually very socially stunted. Although most people associate poor social skills with introversion, there are lots of extroverts who act weird and in socially inappropriate ways. One example is a man I met at the post office who practically forced me into a lengthy conversation with him while we were waiting in line. He detailed a story about a time when a woman at that same post office, did not wish to converse with him and how he "got even with her." He clearly is a person who loves to talk to the point where he forces it on others.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:13 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's abuse of a student. If a teacher did that to my child, I'd have them fired.
Unreliable narrator.

Recall that poster said that has happened many times to him/her. Common denominator and all.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Unreliable narrator.

Recall that poster said that has happened many times to him/her. Common denominator and all.
I haven't read this person's other posts. I'm just responding to that one particular post.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:53 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There is a form of extroversion that is actually very socially stunted. Although most people associate poor social skills with introversion, there are lots of extroverts who act weird and in socially inappropriate ways. One example is a man I met at the post office who practically forced me into a lengthy conversation with him while we were waiting in line. He detailed a story about a time when a woman at that same post office, did not wish to converse with him and how he "got even with her." He clearly is a person who loves to talk to the point where he forces it on others.
Probably a sociopath that can't read the signals you certainly sent out to him, nor take a no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology