Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do men who grew up with sisters understand women better?
Yes--and they end up with better marriages as a result 9 18.00%
Yes, but doesn't mean they have better marriages. 26 52.00%
No, but only if you have female cousins and aunts nearby. 1 2.00%
No, even if your mom is your only female relative nearby. 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 08:42 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,785,266 times

Advertisements

Yes. My husband had three older sisters. When we got married, he knew how to cook, clean, and use a sewing machine, in addition to knowing how to fix anything in the house and many things on the car, and being a great athlete, and just a really kind and sensitive person altogether. What a catch!

When I told a friend how I couldn't believe that a man could be all those things, she said, "Well of course! He was raised by 4 women!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 03:55 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,966,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Yes. My husband had three older sisters. When we got married, he knew how to cook, clean, and use a sewing machine, in addition to knowing how to fix anything in the house and many things on the car, and being a great athlete, and just a really kind and sensitive person altogether. What a catch!

When I told a friend how I couldn't believe that a man could be all those things, she said, "Well of course! He was raised by 4 women!"

Would you say there is less hope for me to be a good husband? I do not have a sister, all my aunts and female cousins have always been overseas, but I did grow up with mom, of course, who has always been the only female relative close to me.

Also, I go to school for engineering, so 80% of my classmates are men. And I have only one female friend, who is very tomboyish and likely an Aspie. Although I am straight, I find it very difficult to be friends with women. I am attracted mostly to tomboys and if marriage means being married to a more feminine woman, I would rather stay single and drink beer, watch cowboy movies and go to the shooting range with the guys.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:03 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Would you say there is less hope for me to be a good husband? I do not have a sister, all my aunts and female cousins have always been overseas, but I did grow up with mom, of course, who has always been the only female relative close to me.

Also, I go to school for engineering, so 80% of my classmates are men. And I have only one female friend, who is very tomboyish and likely an Aspie. Although I am straight, I find it very difficult to be friends with women. I am attracted mostly to tomboys and if marriage means being married to a more feminine woman, I would rather stay single and drink beer, watch cowboy movies and go to the shooting range with the guys.
Some women are both feminine and tomboyish--those traits are not mutually exclusive. (I should know as I *am* a woman who is like that.

I do know that having sisters has helped my brother to have a better understanding of his own adolescent daughter, if not his wife, as he had "front row seats" so to speak via his two sisters to the changes that occur as a girl transitions to womanhood.

What I can say for certain, is that having an older brother and a father and grandfather who were very present in my life has helped me immensely when it comes to working with men (my career is in a traditionally male-dominated field) and understanding how they "tick," so to speak. It's also has helped me in my interpersonal relationships with men in that my mother wasn't one to hem, haw, and hint when she needed or wanted something, i.e., I learned to be polite, yet direct and to the point.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:54 AM

7,593 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:

What you need is somebody who knows how to figure out what other people want. But that is not the same as actually doing what other people want just to please them. It is a matter of compatibility vs. appeasing as well as maturity vs. immaturity.

So if you want a woman who can adapt to the occasion, that is the woman you pick. She may look amazing with make up on but completely plain without it. You have to be able to love and live with both.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:11 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:

It sounds like you need to focus on just being comfortable around women, associating with them as friends and human beings, before you need to worry about being a good husband. You're in school, yes? Find some activity on campus you can join to casually interact with people and get out of your own head.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:24 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,966,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Some women are both feminine and tomboyish--those traits are not mutually exclusive. (I should know as I *am* a woman who is like that.

I do know that having sisters has helped my brother to have a better understanding of his own adolescent daughter, if not his wife, as he had "front row seats" so to speak via his two sisters to the changes that occur as a girl transitions to womanhood.

What I can say for certain, is that having an older brother and a father and grandfather who were very present in my life has helped me immensely when it comes to working with men (my career is in a traditionally male-dominated field) and understanding how they "tick," so to speak. It's also has helped me in my interpersonal relationships with men in that my mother wasn't one to hem, haw, and hint when she needed or wanted something, i.e., I learned to be polite, yet direct and to the point.
What's your field? I am an engineering major, and my sole female friend is a computer science major. As for her being feminine and tomboyish at the same time, that's not quite true. She is straight, she does have long hair, and says she likes wearing skirts (but very seldom wears skirts), but that's all the femininity there is. Never the slightest bit of makeup, just hoodies, T-shirts, and sweatpants/jeans that are more worn-out and less tailored than those of either me or her brother (and her brother is also an engineering major). She's always hanging out with guys, hardly any other girls.

I know what you're thinking, that there's lots of tomboys in engineering/computer science, but that's not true. At my school, the women in engineering/computer science are just as feminine as women in English, Psychology, etc. Almost all of them wear makeup, all their friends are other women, and they're very fashionable, they wear boots, miniskirts, etc., and they're just as talkative and sociable as any other women. Women who are as tomboyish as my friend are incredibly rare outliers even among the female engineering/computer science majors at my school.

My friend makes even the lesbian/bisexual women at my school look like girly-girls.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:31 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times
Quote:
What's your field? I am an engineering major, and my sole female friend is a computer science major. As for her being feminine and tomboyish at the same time, that's not quite true. She is straight, she does have long hair, and says she likes wearing skirts (but very seldom wears skirts), but that's all the femininity there is. Never the slightest bit of makeup, just hoodies, T-shirts, and sweatpants/jeans that are more worn-out and less tailored than those of either me or her brother (and her brother is also an engineering major). She's always hanging out with guys, hardly any other girls.

I know what you're thinking, that there's lots of tomboys in engineering/computer science, but that's not true. At my school, the women in engineering/computer science are just as feminine as women in English, Psychology, etc. Almost all of them wear makeup, all their friends are other women, and they're very fashionable, they wear boots, miniskirts, etc., and they're just as talkative and sociable as any other women. Women who are as tomboyish as my friend are incredibly rare outliers even among the female engineering/computer science majors at my school.

My friend makes even the lesbian/bisexual women at my school look like girly-girls.
I wasn't speaking in particular of your friend as I do not know her, but there are plenty of women who like to do what are considered to be traditionally masculine pursuits--fishing, camping, going to the gun range, hunting,working on cars, carpentry, etc. Who often prefer to hang out with men. That doesn't mean that they don't wear make-up or aren't into jewelry and fashion. That they don't know how to cook or sew on a button. It's just another facet of who they are just as your female friend prefers to pay little attention to what she wears regardless of her major and gender.

Most people simply defy being put into neat little boxes which is a beautiful thing in its own right. Many factors go into making us all who we are--having siblings (or not), birth order and gender mix within the family, community, parenting, schooling, brain chemistry and genetics. I think that as you become older and gain more life experience outside of the university bubble (which is, in many ways, its own self-selected group), you'll be better able to understand that.

I prefer not to share my field (definitely not engineering, although I was around more than few people majoring in the hard sciences, i.e., what is now termed STEM when I was in college), but I will say that it's one of the few male-dominated professions where men still regularly get away with harassment (and worse), although not as much as they did when I started out in my profession.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:32 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times
The biggest advantage that a sister can provide is introductions within her social circle if she happens to be a younger sister. I've known a few guys with younger sisters who basically had their sisters find dates/girlfriends for them.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:02 AM

7,593 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
The biggest advantage that a sister can provide is introductions within her social circle if she happens to be a younger sister. I've known a few guys with younger sisters who basically had their sisters find dates/girlfriends for them.
Very good post.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:33 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
I have two older sisters. We used to play games in the neighborhood and it was mainly their friends so lots of girls.

Nowadays most of my friends are women. Did that have something to do with it? Sometimes I think it did.

As far as relationships, I've been divorced twice so obviously having sisters didn't help in that regard. I think I learned how to treat a wife from my dad and he wasn't a good role model but I learned how to associate with women as friends by having sisters. I found you can have fun, play games, etc... around women and I think perhaps having sisters is the reason, but maybe it isn't.

I think your father is the best role model for how to be a husband/father and your sisters can serve to teach you how to interact on a platonic level with women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology