Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do men who grew up with sisters understand women better?
Yes--and they end up with better marriages as a result 9 18.00%
Yes, but doesn't mean they have better marriages. 26 52.00%
No, but only if you have female cousins and aunts nearby. 1 2.00%
No, even if your mom is your only female relative nearby. 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 10:57 AM

880 posts, read 531,482 times

Advertisements

My brother grew up with 6 sisters and he was a rick with a capital P towards his girlfriends. He has since settled down with a more dominant personality (much like all us girls) and had two daughters of his own. Once he matured i think the lessons of growing up with sisters finally fell into place for him. He still acts like a d-bag in public but we once found a card he had wrote to his wife and it was sentimental and gushy. I don't think we helped him understand women, but we helped prepare him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 08:22 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,434,004 times
In our families there is only one girl.
My husband is one of 3 brothers...one sister
I have 2 brothers...I'm the sister
We have 2 sons...one daughter
We have 2 grandsons...one granddaughter

Always wondered what having a sister would have been like.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:44 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,766,671 times
I have zero sisters and entered adulthood with essentially zero understanding of women. I've always assumed that having no sisters around was a big part of that.

Now that my wife and I have been happily married for the better part of 20 years, I still wouldn't claim to understand women. But I definitely understand a lot more than I used to. I understand my wife fairly well anyway. But she's almost as strange as I am, so I'm not sure how much of this is applicable to other females.

The biggest thing to understand about women is that they complain. A lot. But unless they're complaining about *you*, they don't necessarily want you to do anything about said complaints.

The best thing you can do is make sympathetic noises and then memory-dump the whole thing once she calms down

Old 01-25-2019, 05:35 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
One thing when you have sisters is you at least get used to their anatomy at an early age. I remember me being in the tub with my close in age sister. My parents believed in conserving water so we always bathed together.

I think it helped me become less worried about being nude in front of people. Even now I'm always willing to go nude at a nude beach. I think perhaps if I didn't have any sisters maybe I would've been shy about those things...

Old 01-26-2019, 12:44 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
In fact, Ive read comments from men who were completely turned off to women because of the behavior of their mother or sisters.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:22 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,303,481 times
I don't think so.

I grew up with two younger sisters and I don't even talk to one of my sisters we've never been close.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:19 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,668,599 times
Understanding women better than other guys doesn't particularly come in handy. I have lots of sisters and between my older sisters I have four nieces my age. My father and mothers sisters also have lots of girls. I'm talking about three families (mine and my two aunts) of eleven or more children who are mostly girls.

You get see close up the havoc that certain men do to the lives of women, so most of the guys in our families stay married forever lest we lose the respect of two thirds of our relations. That alone makes you extremely selective because you are not going to have a string of baby mama's. As far as the cooking and cleaning it would be the opposite wouldn't it? If a girl has six brothers she probably doesn't have to work on her own car. see even a guy raised by women can say sexist things.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:32 AM

242 posts, read 262,702 times
I think the OP is onto something. I have brothers I understand men, my girlfriends who don't have brothers have this knight in shinning armor view of men...lol! Men are women are soooo different.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:32 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
I think the OP is onto something. I have brothers I understand men, my girlfriends who don't have brothers have this knight in shinning armor view of men...lol! Men are women are soooo different.
No, my intention, if any, was to show that it is some junk psychology to think that men who grew up with sisters are more progressive, pro-feminist, and understanding of women than men who grew up without sisters. Some of the most awkward, asocial guys I know and who are horrible with women have sisters, while some guys have no sisters yet have plenty of female friends.

And I've seen women without brothers who are more tomboyish than women with brothers.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:45 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,383,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Do men with sisters understand women better? I think not.

1. Men and women are different and are always going to have a hard time understanding each other.
2. Men who don't have sisters probably grew up with their mom, and that's just as good.
3. For men, there's really no correlation between having sisters and being happily married to your wife. We all know of men with no sisters who get along wonderfully with their wives and men with no sisters who still can't figure out their wives.
4. To truly understand women, men would have to engage in women's hobbies, like sewing, cooking, etc. We all know of men with sisters who have zero interest in sewing or cooking, and have zero female friends. We all know of men without sisters who like sewing, cooking and thus have a lot of female friends through it.
5. Come on, unless they're in the military, go to an all-boy's school, or work on an oil rig, most men without sisters are still going to be surrounded by women on a daily basis.

If men with sisters really understood women better, then it would stand to reason that men with sisters have more female friends than men without sisters.

WHAT? That is so 50s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology