Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do men who grew up with sisters understand women better?
Yes--and they end up with better marriages as a result 9 18.00%
Yes, but doesn't mean they have better marriages. 26 52.00%
No, but only if you have female cousins and aunts nearby. 1 2.00%
No, even if your mom is your only female relative nearby. 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 02:18 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,235,883 times

Advertisements

They understand how to beat up females without leaving any physical evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 02:35 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I don't think it does at all.

Men learn the most about women from other men.

There's a crisis in masculinity now. Fathers of the Baby Boomer generation have done a terrible job of teaching masculinity to their sons of the Millennial generation. Generation Z's oldest members are now 18-23, so we have fully formed Gen Z men now. I don't think Gen Z is going to be much better than the Millennials.
Re-read the bolded. You're saying that fathers of the Boomers have failed their Millennial sons. That makes no sense. Your entire post needs a re-write.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:38 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"Do men who grew up with sisters understand women better?"

since i had two sisters, my answer is no.
most women do not even understand themselves.
my oldest sister said that, so i repeat it every chance i get.

however, i did get "set up" with lots of dates due to my sisters' perseverance.
they acted as if it was a competition between them. which sister "set up" would win the weekend?
i was spoiled. my first year in college, i found out how to actually ask a girl for a date.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:32 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I don't think it does at all.

Men learn the most about women from other men.

There's a crisis in masculinity now. Fathers of the Baby Boomer generation have done a terrible job of teaching masculinity to their sons of the Millennial generation. Generation Z's oldest members are now 18-23, so we have fully formed Gen Z men now. I don't think Gen Z is going to be much better than the Millennials.

With Millennial men (I am a Millennial), there were a lot of absentee fathers. The present fathers were not incredible either in raising men. The present fathers generally married their mothers before the sexual revolution became institutionalized, and the law of the jungle overtook a more civilized mating marketplace. As I will illustrate below, these older men are ill equipped were ill equipped to teach later Gen X men or Millennial men about the modern mating marketplace because they didn't experience anything close to it.

Before the mid 1970s or so, being a decent guy who could support a family and provide leadership was all you needed to get a woman. Now, since women have left the kitchen and gone out into the workplace and can support themselves, provider men are generally useless to them. The most desirable men are the men that push their excitement buttons. Often times, these men possess traits of Machiavellianism, Narcissism, and Psychopathy (the Dark Triad). To a modern woman, a Dark Triad guy is a better mating choice because he will most appeal to her carnal, vaginal desires but he's often turbulent and damaged. Often times, what you see is that women in their prime attractiveness and fertility years are selecting to mate with Dark Triad guys while ignoring good, stable men. There is no incentive to mate with a provider male because even if a DarK Triad man abandons her, the government will give her free benefits. As a woman ages, she gets to some point in her 30s or maybe even 40s, and she's had a series of unsuccessful interactions with Dark Triad guys and she eventually settles for some normal, boring guy and basically resents him, but she really dislikes herself. She'll often have an affair with some younger stud like a personal trainer, tennis instructor, bartender possessing the Dark Triad traits that her normal, boring boyfriend or husband she got in her 30s doesn't possess and try to re-live the excitement her youth. This affair won't have a long shelf life either.

How could a man from the Silent or Boomer generation prepare a late Gen X or Millennial son for that sort of experience?

How could having a sister prepare a man for that sort of behavior?

Men need a community of other aware men to learn to cope with a difficult mating marketplace.
Holy cow. Someone has been watching too much television. That kind of thinking is going to be off putting to most women of any generation. Unless it's supposed to be humor......it is kind of hilarious.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:35 PM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Do men with sisters understand women better? I think not.

1. Men and women are different and are always going to have a hard time understanding each other.
2. Men who don't have sisters probably grew up with their mom, and that's just as good.
3. For men, there's really no correlation between having sisters and being happily married to your wife. We all know of men with no sisters who get along wonderfully with their wives and men with no sisters who still can't figure out their wives.
4. To truly understand women, men would have to engage in women's hobbies, like sewing, cooking, etc. We all know of men with sisters who have zero interest in sewing or cooking, and have zero female friends. We all know of men without sisters who like sewing, cooking and thus have a lot of female friends through it.
5. Come on, unless they're in the military, go to an all-boy's school, or work on an oil rig, most men without sisters are still going to be surrounded by women on a daily basis.

If men with sisters really understood women better, then it would stand to reason that men with sisters have more female friends than men without sisters.
No. People who grow up in household where the genders are handled differently do not tend to understand everyone in that gender. You have to grow up in a household where people are treated as individuals. Then there are general things to know about both genders that would be helpful.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:50 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
As usual for C-D polls created by posters who use them to present some personal agenda, there aren't enough choices. You need to add this one:

No, they are men.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post

they acted as if it was a competition between them. which sister "set up" would win the weekend?
i was spoiled. my first year in college, i found out how to actually ask a girl for a date.
I disagree with your sister. All it means is, that she didn't understand herself, and had friends who were similarly lost. Hopefully, she found herself, at some point.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
As usual for C-D polls created by posters who use them to present some personal agenda, there aren't enough choices. You need to add this one:

No, they are men.

Right, and also, "It depends on the man, and on the quality of his relationship with his sister."

Old 01-20-2019, 05:56 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think what poster is saying is that women think with their sex organs. And here, I thought it was guys who did that!

Yes, the point was to say women are thinking with their sex organs.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:23 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post

My impression in earlier days, was that women don't know, themselves, what they want. So how was a guy supposed to be able to know what a woman wants from him? I only rarely stumbled into a situation where I seemed to be doing the right thing to please one of them. And whatever it was, I couldn't get it to work again.

So in the end, I've found that you have to treat each one as a unique individual and forget about any "tried and true" formula. And it takes a long time, to really get to know another person. So there's no quick-action relationship that will turn into something durable, unless it's a one-in-a-thousand type of fairytale romance.

So what are the chances of a guy meeting a woman who is so much like a sister of his, that there would be some useful carry-over from that family relationship, to a romantic one, later? You really have to start from scratch, with each of your relationships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology