Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 04:44 AM

938 posts, read 446,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Interesting...I think it's meaningful when someone can cite numerous examples of people they are glad to see dying or homeless...why so many? Most people can maybe give a couple examples at most so either you've had a mean life or lived a mean life. Yeah, so watch yourself.
How do you know "most people can maybe give a couple examples?" I've known hundreds and hundreds of people and because there were, say, a dozen or so crappy ones, I'm the bad guy? That's a small percentage.
I want you to rethink what you posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 08:34 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
"For example: The neighborhood creep, people who wronged my family or Ted Bundy.

Anybody else have these feelings?"

No. Not really. Except, maybe in traffic, where someone cut you off and a mile up the road, you see the cops have pulled that person over. In that situation, yeah, I have to smile or laugh.

But otherwise...no.

For one thing, those people who YOU think deserve some Karma justice are not going to recognize that the karma was well deserved. They never do. They often don't even realize the karma is just the natural consequence of negative choices. And you might be around to witness it...but often as not, the other people around them are going to have a ton of sympathy for them, and no one sees the karma playing out.

Second...EVERYONE has bad things happen in life. Sometimes, it's the result of bad choices, and sometimes, it seems more inexplicable. For instance, one of my cousins has had a rough string of events happen within the last month. 1. She was car jacked. She wasn't hurt, but she was scared out of her wits. Then the police found the car, and one of the perps, and she got her car back. A week and a half after getting her car back, her husband and son are involved in a car accident with that car, totalling it. Luckily, husband and son are fine. And then 2 days after THAT, their dog suddenly dies.

Knowing my cousin, it's hard to believe all this misfortune is the result of karma.

I'm reminded of Job, who had a string of bad things, VERY bad things happen to him. Things were so bad, that even his wife came to believe it was because he was a sinner that all the bad stuff happened. Even his best friends thought it was because of sin (or bad karma.)

I don't know...I just don't want to spend the time disliking someone so much, to be wishing bad things on them.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:47 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Reading your post, SB, just makes me want to question why I think I'm the ultimate judge on who deserves what. When I worked at the State Hospital I met many "bad people" whose families and others believed they should suffer all the rest of their lives and then some more when they were dead. But I often had a chance to see the kinds of misdeeds that had made them what they were and wondered how they could be any less with the horrible lives they'd had. When you have the insight to see both sides it can put you off making judgements about who deserves what.

But I have to admit when I see a speeder who has irritated or endangered me stopped on the road ahead there is that certain glimmer of delight.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:55 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
How do you know "most people can maybe give a couple examples?" I've known hundreds and hundreds of people and because there were, say, a dozen or so crappy ones, I'm the bad guy? That's a small percentage.
I want you to rethink what you posted.
I agree. I mean, I've met thousands of people in my lifetime. Knowing just a few bad ones doesn't mean I'm the one with the problem.

I was also thinking more about this topic late last night. The people we've talked about here, who had bad karma come their way, actually brought it on themselves for the most part. It wasn't even bad luck or bad karma. They engineered their own fates. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:31 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I have a superficially-pleasant but narcissistic neighbor, a relatively-recent addition to the neighborhood, who has made it her life's mission to harass another neighbor. The victim is an elderly woman who keeps very much to herself and tries to keep the details of her life private. I've known her for several decades and didn't even know she had been fighting a serious disease until years after the fact.

As their properties are adjoining, the narc wanted to buy a strip of land from my elderly neighbor. She refused politely. And since then it has been all-out war, with the narc trying to get the city out to cite her on violations both real (but seldom enforced) and imagined. Of course the narc complains about her nonstop to the other neighbors, who are no doubt tired of hearing about it.

Maybe I'm a bad person for thinking this but I wouldn't shed a tear if the narc were hit by a bus.
Sounds like the sicko who used to be a neighbor of ours. She and her boyfriend/husband/whatever were violating our legitimate property rights. They were in the wrong, yet both of them harassed us, continued violating our rights and even escalating the violations, and painted an ugly picture of “those people” to other residents. We basically turned the other cheek, figuring that showing a negative reaction to them was what they wanted. They eventually moved out, but not before they had committed some outrageous acts.

So yes, if I heard that these two, especially the sociopathic woman, got done in, I would be glad they were out of commission.

On a much longer and more violent scale, Whitey Bulger got away with literally murder, actually multiple murders, among other crimes. I cheered when he finally was found and imprisoned. But not as loudly as when he was found dead in his prison cell last year. C-D has a thread on it under Massachusetts. I couldn’t believe how many posters expressed shock that other people were glad he died. They must have lived outside of his “zone of influence” to think he was worthy of forgiveness.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:42 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Yeah, I'm not big on forgiving lousy people.
Me either.

I've had a pampered, sheltered life as an adult BUT was severely, systematically abused by a sadistic (truly sadistic as in enjoyed causing fear and pain; laughed about it) Mother from infancy til I married at 18.

My Mother was the only person who ever treated me ill; sadly she did not get what she deserved, ever.

So I've never had that sweet satisfaction you speak of.

I do get a thrill when animal abusers suffer; a recent case in the news of a sick freak who shot her dog to death with her BF, filmed it laughing and making fun of the dog, and thereafter killed herself, I was elated she had comitted suicide. (look up Marinna Rollins case if interested).

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 02-11-2019 at 11:09 AM..

Old 02-11-2019, 10:48 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I would like to have faith that some improvements in vetting foster parents has transpired. Hopefully a more thorough background check and mental testing. Yes she did it for the money. Not that they technically needed it. The husband was a workaholic. So he rarely was home. When he was it was militant.
There was a movie right around the time I was in foster care called Sybill. Sally Fields was the actress. Her flashbacks of her mom could go hand in hand with the behavior of this foster mom. The things she did ....even when I reported it to my foster consult got me no where. It was too bizarre to be believable. Yet it was true. Now when I read of kids ...and what they endured...I often reflect on how times have changed. At least someone will listen today. Back in my day..it was scoffed off as "" ohh what an imagination she has". I seriously don't think folks reap what they sow....I've seen bad things happen to good ppl. I know I plant good seeds and still get challenged in some negative way....
OMG yes, one of the (several) reasons I never told anyone to this day the things done to me, is they were so bizarre I knew I would not be believed. Also the sheer embarrassment; outwardly we looked fabulous (upper middle class/privileged upbringing).

I read "Sybil" when I was around 12 y/o. While the actual "things" done to me were dissimilar, the sadism factor was apparent in her case similar to mine. Very different to abuse in the "my drunken father beat me with a belt when he was drunk" category. The cold, calculated systematic method is what makes serial murderers; I am amazed I am not one.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 02-11-2019 at 11:10 AM..

Old 02-11-2019, 02:57 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,383 times
A few years ago there was a truly Unpleasant Person I had the misfortune to have to work with. U.P. targeted me for extra unpleasantness, and ultimately I had to leave the workplace because of them and the response from management. I have gone on to awesome things in my career, so I'm all right. But I had a laugh and a high five with another co-worker friend when I was told U.P. finally got fired for picking on a new victim after I left. It was U.P.'s dream job, and that made it extra fun. So often it seems that horrible people get away with crap, and it was nice to see a win for the good guys for once.

I don't feel compelled to apologize or feel bad for my glee.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:12 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times
Bad things also happen to GOOD people as well....it's not just for the bad.
Yes I like it when the bad ones get what they deserve BUT what I would like even more if they actually were to have felt the pain that they have caused others...but we know that never happens..

Old 02-11-2019, 09:37 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybuddybabe View Post
You reap what you sow.

That is one thing you can be certain of in this life.
Wish it were true, for those who sow goodness most of all. Sadly, that is just not what I have seen in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology