Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 08:30 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,938,422 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why traumas that can last a short amount of time (minutes to hours), can have almost permanent negative effects on a person and be incredibly hard to erase. Like PTSD from seeing someone killed or being raped, etc. Lets say you were sexually assaulted or almost murdered and this experience only lasted a half hour. We are incredibly fragile for such a short experience to have huge life lasting and changing effects on us. If you could delete that memory, you would be all good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 08:43 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I don't understand why traumas that can last a short amount of time (minutes to hours), can have almost permanent negative effects on a person and be incredibly hard to erase. Like PTSD from seeing someone killed or being raped, etc. Lets say you were sexually assaulted or almost murdered and this experience only lasted a half hour. We are incredibly fragile for such a short experience to have huge life lasting and changing effects on us. If you could delete that memory, you would be all good.
I will tell you that everyone is different, some are very fragile, some are iron clad, most are somewhere in between. Bloody PTSD is usually a result of your world view being shattered. Most people grow up in a stable family where they are loved and sheltered from the realities of life and death. People do not contemplate death and when some see it in front of them, that stability is instantly destroyed and the sadness / horror of body parts makes them realize that it ends and it ends badly. Some people can deal with this just fine, they are mentally strong. Navy Seal guys especially tend to re-up voluntarily after several tours and long after they filled their obligation. Others can't wait to get the hell out after their first tour and have the urge to go AWOL in the middle of it because they just can't handle it. The trauma compounds every single day and then they start repressing and acting out, and their lives fall apart

Old 03-04-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I will tell you that everyone is different, some are very fragile, some are iron clad, most are somewhere in between. Bloody PTSD is usually a result of your world view being shattered. Most people grow up in a stable family where they are loved and sheltered from the realities of life and death. People do not contemplate death and when some see it in front of them, that stability is instantly destroyed and the sadness / horror of body parts makes them realize that it ends and it ends badly. Some people can deal with this just fine, they are mentally strong. Navy Seal guys especially tend to re-up voluntarily after several tours and long after they filled their obligation. Others can't wait to get the hell out after their first tour and have the urge to go AWOL in the middle of it because they just can't handle it. The trauma compounds every single day and then they start repressing and acting out, and their lives fall apart
Most of those that want to retour do have PTSD and can't cope back in normal society anymore. Just because they are willing to go back doesn't mean anything. They are too broken for normal society.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Most of those that want to retour do have PTSD and can't cope back in normal society anymore. Just because they are willing to go back doesn't mean anything. They are too broken for normal society.
I don't know about that, if you have any links I'd be interested to read about soldiers with PTSD that go back in. From what I've seen they never want to see a battlefield ever again and the ones that are too broken end up self-medicating, end up in prison, or worse

Old 03-04-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I don't know about that, if you have any links I'd be interested to read about soldiers with PTSD that go back in. From what I've seen they never want to see a battlefield ever again and the ones that are too broken end up self-medicating, end up in prison, or worse
I've just watched documentaries on the subject. I think there were a few on Frontline. You will find soldiers with PTSD who want to go back and those who don't.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:11 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,621 times
Maybe I'm just a negative person, but I remember the bad things more than the good things in my life. It's the awful emotions that stick with me. Sometimes I don't even remember what happened that caused the bad emotion, but I remember where I was, around what year, and the person who caused it.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:18 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times
Your title is very accurate. People are very fragile.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:28 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,604 posts, read 17,935,039 times
It really is individual.

Some people are resilient, and while they'll look back on trauma and say well that was awful, they basically soldier on without a permanent negative effect.

Not everyone who experiences trauma becomes permanently traumatized.

And I'm surprised by both ends of the spectrum - people who can go through really a GREAT deal of terror and seem unfazed, and people for whom it takes almost nothing to completely unhinge them.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Your title is very accurate. People are very fragile.
It's so much worse now in the snowflake era. Nobody can take any criticism or jabs anymore, everything is potentially offensive and the victimization complex is out of control

Old 03-04-2019, 01:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,604 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
It's so much worse now in the snowflake era. Nobody can take any criticism or jabs anymore, everything is potentially offensive and the victimization complex is out of control
I think people have always been very hurt by intended jabs and negative criticism.

It's just now, people feel empowered and not embarrassed to say "what you just said is out of line and I don't have to tolerate it". To me, that's a stronger, more powerful response then scuttling away and trying not to call attention to the obnoxious way you've been treated/talked to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology