Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 06:11 PM

1,431 posts, read 1,035,333 times

Advertisements

A good think piece about the beginnings & development of trans treatments:

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti..._disorder.html

Old 04-12-2019, 10:28 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,640,168 times
There’s no question that social justice warriors aside it’s a mental health issue when someone thinks their “true” identity is the opposite of their gender. It’s why almost every trans person has been diagnosed with mental health issues. It’s actually very sad, I feel sorry for them as I do anyone struggling with their mental health, but I don’t take them seriously any more than I’d take someone with any other mental issue seriously. They have problems they need to work out and it’s not helping to be “accepting” of their issues rather than trying to fix them.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:41 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
There’s no question that social justice warriors aside it’s a mental health issue when someone thinks their “true” identity is the opposite of their gender. It’s why almost every trans person has been diagnosed with mental health issues. It’s actually very sad, I feel sorry for them as I do anyone struggling with their mental health, but I don’t take them seriously any more than I’d take someone with any other mental issue seriously. They have problems they need to work out and it’s not helping to be “accepting” of their issues rather than trying to fix them.
Poppycock.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Nah.

I strongly suspect that within the next two revisions of the DSM, the "gender dysphoria" designation will have gone the way of homosexuality as a dx.

Pathologizing people's gender identity will eventually be seen as archaic as pathologizing people's sexual orientations, and it will be one of those things future clinicians look back on in horror, and say, "I can't believe that was actually done," when they study the DSM-5.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:47 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,640,168 times
Let’s hope society doesn’t go that full moron honestly. There is way too much nonsense going on lately.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:17 PM

356 posts, read 176,125 times
Quote:
Let’s hope society doesn’t go that full moron honestly. There is way too much nonsense going on lately.
Yes. Yes there is.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:26 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:

I haven’t seen any data to support this, do you have a link to a reputable mental health organization to support this ?

Old 04-13-2019, 05:47 PM

1,431 posts, read 1,035,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I haven’t seen any data to support this, do you have a link to a reputable mental health organization to support this ?
Here are a couple of sources, check out the Notes too:

https://www.acpeds.org/wordpress/wp-...updated-MC.pdf

https://www.transgendertrend.com

https://www.ncbcenter.org/files/1015...nt_Feb2019.pdf

Old 04-13-2019, 05:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Lol.

ACPeds is a tiny, politically motivated hate group named explicitly so that it resembles a legitimate medical organization to the uninformed. They specifically selected a name to sound similar to the American Academy of Pediatrics, banking on the assumption of legitimacy at that suggested association, but it's really just a cleverly named conservative hate group. Among other things, they argue for conversion therapy. Yikes.

Good try, though.

So, no. Not a reputable mental health association.

http://www.splcenter.org/fighting-ha...-pediatricians
www.google.com/amp/s/

http://www.psychologytoday.com/us/bl...bt-group%3famp

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/ameri...pediatricians/

Old 04-13-2019, 05:56 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Agreed. Many of them have childhood trauma, often childhood sexual abuse in their backgrounds. Both of my social worker friends who have dealt with this population to some degree said the same thing. I assure everyone here that neither of them are conservatives. I have a trans friend who fits the profile of someone having emotional issues. I suspect said friend had sexual abuse as a child but cannot prove it. We know for a fact my trans friend had a parent who was sexually abused. I suspect the sexually abused parent abused my trans friend, but my trans friend has no memories of sexual abuse. But blocking out the memories is not all that unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology