Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 08:21 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times

Advertisements

Who says we need to DO anything about our emotions? Joy, amusement, pride, empathy, satisfaction, love...am I supposed to DO something to stop them or change them? Why do I need to "address the causes"?

Or are you just talking about anger or depression? Is that what you mean by "feelings"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 08:23 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Who is teaching this, and where?
Kids' TV shows (except "Mr. Roger's"), my old elementary school, therapists, etc. All in the good old USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Discussing ways to change the situation is part of therapy. It's included in "talking about feelings."
Well, my therapists never taught me anything I didn't already know or could find in a cheap book, including how to change a situation. I did learn to tell people what they want to hear, rather than honest answers. I had to do that to get the therapists to actually believe me.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:25 PM

356 posts, read 175,977 times
Kids' TV shows. LOL

OP...you watch professional wrestling too?

Old 04-24-2019, 08:25 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Who says we need to DO anything about our emotions? Joy, amusement, pride, empathy, satisfaction, love...am I supposed to DO something to stop them or change them? Why do I need to "address the causes"?

Or are you just talking about anger or depression? Is that what you mean by "feelings"?
In that case, mention it and be done with it. If it's a good emotion, brainstorm ways to maintain it.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post

Kids' TV shows (except "Mr. Roger's")...
I knew this was based on TV watching.

You know, Mr. Rogers talked about feelings almost more than anyone. And he recommends solutions. So there goes that theory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8kt22TH_c4

Quote:

Well, my therapists never taught me anything I didn't already know or could find in a cheap book, including how to change a situation. I did learn to tell people what they want to hear, rather than honest answers. I had to do that to get the therapists to actually believe me.
We know. You had a bad experience with therapy, which you have used to badmouth therapy in general ad nauseum here and make yourself feel superior.

Don't you get tired of posting the same old thing here? I bet it makes you angry. You should talk about it with someone you trust.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:00 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Having self-knowledge and self-awareness can be very helpful in navigating life.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:05 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
When people are taught to only name and/or express emotions, without actually doing anything about them, that's when I fail to see the benefits of it. It's far better to identify a feeling and figure out what to do about it.

And in the school shooting scenario, what good will talking about angry emotions do? It's just words. Isn't it better to brainstorm a way to change the situation, so there wouldn't be needless anger, rather than just talk about "feelings"?
The idea is, you talk about your frustrations before they build up to explosive proportions, so that you can get support, maybe get some counseling to figure out how to solve the problem that's causing you the frustration. Learning to name how you feel, is a first step for a small child. Then you can tell an adult how you feel, and hopefully get help, or get comfort, and acquire problem-solving skills.

The other component in teaching to express feelings, is that the people around you need to develop empathy, so they can respond to your distress, or whatever it is. Learning to name feelings and express how you feel is just one part of a bigger picture.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-24-2019 at 09:40 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 09:07 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Sounds like you need a therapist, to help you process your frustration and rage over your prior therapist experiences.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:50 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,549 times
So, let's see ... I remember you expressing some feeeeelings when friends blew off your birthday party. I remember some feeeeelings about those old friends that you consider to be whipped dogs chained to their wives because they can't have fun with you anymore. I remember some feeeeelings you had about some guy that got in your face and your friends didn't stand up for you.

You know why I remember them? Because you bring up those same scenarios over and over and over again as you continually try to convince yourself (and anybody else that looks like they might be a potential recruit to your philosophy) that you've got it all under control now.

But, I can't see that you've successfully brainstormed "a way to change the situation" so you can quickly dispense with those pesky feelings.

All the salsa dancing and board game nights in the world may have given you a way to cope – but they aren't fixing what's ailing you.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:21 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
So you want to talk about whether is worth it to talk about things?

I was never taught about emotions in school, and my husband and I do not spend much time discussing them, and no counselor I have been to has ever asked me "how did that make you feel?"

One should be able to identify their emotional state, know how to deal with it constructively, and be able to convey the necessary parts to others when necessary.

Everyone is different, and will connect and find value in different counselors, you have to interview them to find one that you can relate to. There is no "one size fits all".
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 04-24-2019 at 10:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology