Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:12 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times

Advertisements

It seems like "feelings" are one of the first things little kids are taught, right after letters, shapes, and farm animals. They're basically taught to memorize emotion words like they're taught to memorize shapes. As they get older, they're expected to fluently explain their emotional state, like "I feel ____." Even as adults, people are expected to use emotion words extensively when talking to a significant other.

And let's not forget talk therapy. If you can't rattle off satisfactory answers to the "How did that make you feel?" question (read: the ones the therapist is looking for), he/she will quickly lose respect for you, and will start gaslighting you to bring you in line with his/her "feelings" agenda. Granted, knowing which "feelings word" to use is a good social skill, but it's overemphasized and wrongly taught.

It's definitely an American thing. I don't know of any other culture, Western or non-Western, that puts so much emphasis on "feelings". (I know Denmark and Norway highly value hygge, which approximately translates as "social coziness", having no English equivalent.) And is it just me, but is "talking about feelings" overrated? I mean, we put so much emphasis on how someone feels, that we ignore what he/she does to address a situation that made them feel that way. It's "feel this" and "feel that". And we indoctrinate our kids that "feelings" are the be-all and end-all, and lose actions in the shuffle.

I mean, it's good that we teach people to verbalize their emotional state, but we put too much emphasis on it. How about briefly acknowledging what you're feeling, then finding ways to keep a good feeling or get out of a bad one. Otherwise, it isn't much different from everybody getting a participation trophy.

Thoughts?

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 04-24-2019 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 06:18 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Yeah, I'm with you on this.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:21 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,088 times
When you're going through a tough time, talking about it can help. I'm not sure, just how much though. I think some people need to talk through things for as long as it takes them. Others might not feel the need to ruminate so much. To each their own.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post

It seems like "feelings" are one of the first things little kids are taught, right after letters, shapes, and farm animals. They're basically taught to memorize emotion words like they're taught to memorize shapes.
On what firsthand experience are you basing this?

Children are also taught words for weather conditions and days of the week. Are you opposed to that as well? I know people who verbalize about the weather WAY more than they do about their feelings, and it's much more annoying.

Quote:
As they get older, they're expected to fluently explain their emotional state, like "I feel ____." Even as adults, people are expected to use emotion words extensively when talking to a significant other.
Expected by whom? In what situations? Extensively? Really!?

Quote:
And let's not forget talk therapy. If you can't rattle off satisfactory answers to the "How did that make you feel?" question (read: the ones the therapist is looking for), he/she will quickly lose respect for you, and will start gaslighting you to bring you in line with his/her "feelings" agenda.
AH, finally, we arrive at your actual point.

Quote:
It's definitely an American thing. I don't know of any other culture, Western or non-Western, that puts so much emphasis on "feelings". (I know Denmark and Norway highly value hygge, which approximately translates as "social coziness", having no English equivalent.)
Based on what you've watched on TV?

Quote:
And is it just me, but is "talking about feelings" overrated? I mean, we put so much emphasis on how someone feels, that we ignore what he/she does to address a situation that made them feel that way. It's "feel this" and "feel that". And we indoctrinate our kids that "feelings" are the be-all and end-all, and lose actions in the shuffle.
It's not just you, but this is an agenda for you.

Quote:

I mean, it's good that we teach people to verbalize their emotional state, but we put too much emphasis on it. How about briefly acknowledging what you're feeling, then finding ways to keep a good feeling or get out of a bad one. Otherwise, it isn't much different from everybody getting a participation trophy.

Thoughts?
I don't believe your premise is accurate. This comes across as an insulated rant based on perception but not reality.

WHO puts too much emphasis on verbalizing our emotional state? No one has demanded that I verbalize my emotional state lately. Where are you seeing this?

Old 04-24-2019, 06:52 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
I disagree with your experiences with kids - I have never seen anyone validate kids.

Yes, FEELINGS are important. If you don't express them, you stuff them. So having a safe place to vent is invaluable!

Old 04-24-2019, 07:18 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
No, it's underrated. Not talking about them is the reason we live in this messed up word. You can't escape feelings. They won't just magically disappear because you don't acknowledge them. They're still there...waiting for you to get it. Unexpressed feelings will manifest in your body as disease. That bottled energy has to go SOMEWHERE...

Old 04-24-2019, 07:48 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
I have to agree with Birdie, OP; I've somehow missed out on this cultural programing about expressing feelings, and memorizing the language of feelings, lol. I've tried different therapists, and none asked me how an event made me feel.

However, I think, that given the cultural background we come from, which I trace to the Victorian era of keeping a stiff upper lip and stifling any display of emotion, it's not a bad thing, to tell people, starting in childhood, that it's ok to express feelings. Maybe if more kids had learned that, we wouldn't have young men gunning down schools and movie theaters full of people.

IDK. Bottling things up, as people did in previous generations, isn't healthy. If little boys are still getting the message, that to "be a man" (which is a ridiculous message to give little boys), they need to stuff their feelings, maybe school lessons about feelings are called for.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:57 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
However, I think, that given the cultural background we come from, which I trace to the Victorian era of keeping a stiff upper lip and stifling any display of emotion, it's not a bad thing, to tell people, starting in childhood, that it's ok to express feelings. Maybe if more kids had learned that, we wouldn't have young men gunning down schools and movie theaters full of people.
When people are taught to only name and/or express emotions, without actually doing anything about them, that's when I fail to see the benefits of it. It's far better to identify a feeling and figure out what to do about it.

And in the school shooting scenario, what good will talking about angry emotions do? It's just words. Isn't it better to brainstorm a way to change the situation, so there wouldn't be needless anger, rather than just talk about "feelings"?

Old 04-24-2019, 08:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:

When people are taught to only name and/or express emotions, without actually doing anything about them, that's when I fail to see the benefits of it. It's far better to identify a feeling and figure out what to do about it.
Who is teaching this, and where?

Quote:

And in the school shooting scenario, what good will talking about angry emotions do? It's just words. Isn't it better to brainstorm a way to change the situation, so there wouldn't be needless anger, rather than just talk about "feelings"?
Discussing ways to change the situation is part of therapy. It's included in "talking about feelings."

Old 04-24-2019, 08:14 PM

356 posts, read 176,034 times
I'm just glad I live on planet Earth, I don't have experience with the world the OP describes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology