Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 12:31 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Unfortunately that is not the worst thing in my life. Did I say it was?

It was supposed to illustrate how people expect life to be perfect, and when it isn't they need someone to blame.

(I don't mean everyone, but many.)

So if they don't like Trump they expect life to be perfect? Maybe they just don't agree with his policies and such.

I don't like Trump and my life is pretty great.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 12:31 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
That is an often quoted sentiment, that life is better than the alternative. If you are religious and believe in heaven, then this statement is patently false.
If you are an atheist who is living a very stressful and difficult life, I also see fault in this statement because death is like a deep dreamless sleep.
Isn't this much better than depression and stress? I guess what I'm saying is that this sentiment applies to some people most of the time and most people some of the time, but it simply doesn't apply at all to many others.
I do agree with the op's comments, life is a constant battle to keep balance - and it can be very wearing.
Hi Duke, I like what u said.
I have comments: I say to a spider in my house,"Sorry, you're in MY space and besides, this life is not all it's cracked up to be." (Bye)
The Afterlife is the bomb! Ask anyone who's been there!!!! It's Home!

However, I don't think the battle is constant...with deliberate effort...you CAN actually be on Auto-pilot....smooth sailing.

I am not a student of A Course In Miracles© for nothing!
It helped me tremendously, even after 4 decades
of meditation and relative peacefulness to see what the heck this place 'really is'.
And when you do ...things are more like water off a duck's back....cuz there is always 'somethin'...
the dented car, the lost job, the increase in some bill....something in the world to jab you off
center....but so not much anymore, for me, Yay!
Christians have a word for it ....overcoming, and having a renewed mind.
It's doable!

Old 05-05-2019, 12:45 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:

There are NO relationships that are 100% cooperation and love, and 0% competition and conflict. Maybe the competition is hidden from the public, or hidden in your subconscious mind.
I didn’t say there were relationships without conflict - but ‘competition’ is very different than conflict. I asked you to define what you meant by competition, specifically, having to be a part of any loving relationship.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:53 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,557,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Even the Pope put bullet proof glass around him when someone tried to shoot him.

If he isn't eager for Heaven, then I can't see why anyone else would be.
Great point, makes you wonder what he REALLY believes happens at death.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:55 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I didn’t say there were relationships without conflict - but ‘competition’ is very different than conflict. I asked you to define what you meant by competition, specifically, having to be a part of any loving relationship.
People compare themselves to others. Everyone does it, often without being conscious of it. Sometimes it's more and sometimes it's less. Some people like the competition, others don't like it. Some know how to deal with it usually, others don't.

Maybe you and your wife are in a harmonious loving relationship. But you can't possibly always agree on every little thing. You will compete over whether the toilet seat should be up or down. Or which overpriced TV cable service you should get. Or what movie to watch or how much to pay for your kids' college. Or should you buy Coke or Pepsi (neither!). OR ANYTHING I don't know what you compete over.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:15 PM

I would classify those things as disagreements, not competitions.

Compromises have to be made with any two or more people spending time together. If DH wants steak, and I want tacos, it is not a competition. We would find a third option that is acceptable to both.

I find that just to be the natural ebb and flow of all relationships.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:16 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
People compare themselves to others. Everyone does it, often without being conscious of it. Sometimes it's more and sometimes it's less. Some people like the competition, others don't like it.

Maybe you and your wife are in a harmonious loving relationship. But you can't possibly always agree on every little thing. You will compete over whether the toilet seat should be up or down. Or which overpriced TV cable service you should get. Or what movie to watch or how much to pay for your kids' college. Or should you buy Coke or Pepsi (neither!). OR ANYTHING I don't know what you compete over.
I’m not married - but I am in a relationship; and I absolutely agree there is often conflict in life and relationships. However, that is not the same thing as stating there is ‘competition’ in loving relationships. The examples you give are conflicts, not competition.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:29 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times
I don't see the difference between conflicts and competition.

For example, the two political parties:

They are in competition. Their ideas are in conflict.

Compromises are sometimes agreed on.

When there is a conflict, there is competition between two alternatives.

I know this is just semantics. But without agreeing on definitions we can't communicate.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:32 PM

200 posts, read 175,032 times
Quote:
Does life suck because there are so many bad people in the world? Or is it because we keep electing bad leaders? Or because the education systems don't teach children compassion and kindness?
I'm not a buddhist, but took a class on it a few years ago and the main concept is that 'all is suffering'. No matter how happy you are today, the very things that bring you happiness will eventually bring you sorrow (your husband could cheat on you, dump you or die, your new car will get wrecked or old and dinged up eventually, your love of sugar will give you diabetes, etc). Basically, yeah, everything in life sucks (eventually).

The best way to cope with that is the buddhist concept of acceptance, which I've altered in my smart-ass brain to not giving a flying f***. Enjoy the good things while you have them and know they will all go away, diminish or die at some point. With this mentality, I've found life to suck a whole lot less.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I don't see the difference between conflicts and competition.

For example, the two political parties:

They are in competition. Their ideas are in conflict.

Compromises are sometimes agreed on.

When there is a conflict, there is competition between two alternatives.

I know this is just semantics. But without agreeing on definitions we can't communicate.

Competition only has a winner and a loser.

A conflict can end up win/win, lose/lose, or win/lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology