Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 09:12 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
I notice there are a lot of people in the US who fall well below the poverty guidelines in the US their whole lives, but never act out from never being able to break out despite working full time. Has there ever been a study in to why these people are so submissive in America?

For example someone who is going in to their sixties and never could afford a mortgage or to pay off a decent car that has never questioned why their hard work never paid off, and are submissive to successful people in public.

You tend to posit your posts on inaccurate supositions. It causes confusion. It's like saying "Do you prefer drinking your coffee while kicking your wife, or do you like hot chocolate better?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 10:24 AM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
What you're implying, is that crime is the natural response to living in low-income conditions. This is outrageous. Also, a failure to turn to crime is not indicative of a "submissive" nature. It's indicative of a law-abiding one, honestly, and a belief in making the best of the hand one was dealt in life. There's a certain dignity in that. I don't expect you'd understand that, though.

Your theory is one of the misguided ones underpinning the Soviet system: crime is caused by poverty, period, so if poverty is eliminated and everyone lives in equal conditions, there will be no crime. Wrong. They found out there was crime anyway, irrespective of having all basic necessities provided to everyone. It was one failure of their theories that they never managed to understand. They weren't strong on psychology, to say the least. Their theories were so idealistic as to be quite naive, even though they considered them to be "scientific" and pragmatic rather than idealistic.

Back to the drawing board, OP...

Old 06-26-2019, 05:20 PM

834 posts, read 1,015,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would bet everything I have that rich people say this about people making 40,000 a year. And it’s just it’s hard to go from middle class to wealth than it is to go from poverty to the middle class. I’ve been middle-class my entire life. It’s not because I decided to be content with it. I would love to be a millionaire.It’s just human design that people tend to stay in the situations that they know.
I make $62,000.00 on a bad year and I'm far from middle class.. I'm seen as "white trash"..

Old 06-27-2019, 01:17 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
I make $62,000.00 on a bad year and I'm far from middle class.. I'm seen as "white trash"..
And where I live $62k a year for a single would buy you a respectable, if modest, lifestyle. So are you simply going with the govt. poverty guideline numbers, or are you taking COL into account when you make your suppositions?

Old 06-29-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
And where I live $62k a year for a single would buy you a respectable, if modest, lifestyle. So are you simply going with the govt. poverty guideline numbers, or are you taking COL into account when you make your suppositions?
I use the current USCIS/HHS figures and real costs of rents, down payments, closing costs, payments etc..

I know plenty of people all over the US who make 32k-65k who are all seen as peasants cause it's labor industries and that was middle class in 1980... With inflation I'm suppose to be making $145,000 a year now. I make what people with the same role did in 1980 though as do everyone else in the high-end labor industries..

I also know what it's like to be part of the <25k group.. You're not even considered human being in that group in 2019; most people I know are still in it..

Old 07-02-2019, 07:53 PM

341 posts, read 284,806 times
"Has there ever been a study in to why these people are so submissive in America?"

If someone in academia studied the effects of attaching a weighted stick to a chicken, someone has undoubtedly studied the reasons for why people don't mind being "wealth challenged".
11 Most Pointless Scientific Studies Ever &ndash; Page 7

Old 07-03-2019, 09:59 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times
Poor people in America, in comparison to the rest of the world, are far from poor. They are provided food,shelter, health care, education, all for free. I read a survey once that somewhere near 80% of the poor had cable and washing machines.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:14 AM

341 posts, read 284,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Poor people in America, in comparison to the rest of the world, are far from poor. They are provided food,shelter, health care, education, all for free. I read a survey once that somewhere near 80% of the poor had cable and washing machines.
Ditch diggers have 4G video phone call capability. Have you EVER seen a hungry American (with the exception of people on diets)? The most destitute illegal has a car, TV, beer money, perfectly fine clothes (heck even I buy clothes at Salvation Army - if you end up not liking a pair of pants or shirt, you only lost $5).

Old 07-11-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
Ditch diggers have 4G video phone call capability. Have you EVER seen a hungry American (with the exception of people on diets)? The most destitute illegal has a car, TV, beer money, perfectly fine clothes (heck even I buy clothes at Salvation Army - if you end up not liking a pair of pants or shirt, you only lost $5).
I've always wondered how a poor person can be 70lbs over weight..

Old 07-11-2019, 03:20 PM

813 posts, read 600,567 times
Take 2 guys doing the same job, offer them promotions based on taking unpaid classes after regular working hours. The guy who takes the classes instead of going home, drinking a beer, and watching cartoons on tv, will get a raise. The other guy will have the opportunity to gripe about not being able to get ahead.

Good luck, Rg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology