Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 07:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
If someone is firing rounds in your direction running is your only option......

Chuck Norris can't stop bullets either!
Running? That is exactly what a shooter aims for...
as said on TV.
Drop to the ground, man...hide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 08:29 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
While awful, these events are sensational. They get tons of news coverage.

You're much more likely to die in a traffic accident than a mass shooting. People aren't scared to get on the roadways.
Yes, and unfortunately the constant sensational news coverage only makes the problem worse due to the lemming effect.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:00 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times
No

Old 08-06-2019, 09:03 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Running? That is exactly what a shooter aims for...
as said on TV.
Drop to the ground, man...hide.
Go back to the original post I quoted, it concerned "self defense" which isn't an option when the bullets start flying.

Running vs. hiding? Easy run out the back vs. hiding under a table? If a shooter is clearing the room you clearly don't want to be in that room! You hide, I'll put some distance between the shooter and I

Old 08-06-2019, 09:05 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Why is that dumb? This one of yours wins the prize!

I don't go to Calif either...4 close friends at diff times were caught in huge, famous earthquakes...one
was minutes away from the SF Bay bridge when it became a sandwich of death.

The USA has so many guns, other countries have never imagined that...it seems like the Wild West to them...my gosh, the movies are so violent that they see from here...and oh my, if they get
our TV Crime shows!

And then the reality of so many mentally ill shooters!
You have no reason, Carly, to visit the US.
Stay in your bunker, hide from everything!

Airplanes crash sometimes, lots of car wrecks, never know when a solar flare will hit, watch for lightning, don't step on a crack, it might break your momma's back..........come on, live a little!

Old 08-06-2019, 09:05 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Worry is like a rocking chair - it will give you something to do but won't get you anywhere.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Go back to the original post I quoted, it concerned "self defense" which isn't an option when the bullets start flying.

Running vs. hiding? Easy run out the back vs. hiding under a table? If a shooter is clearing the room you clearly don't want to be in that room! You hide, I'll put some distance between the shooter and I
I understand what you're saying...but you may not have heard the interviews today I heard.
Those on the floor lived as the shooter was distracted by those running.
We all know there is no definitive safe answer!
Doors can be shot thru, kicked open.
Hiding? He can come around that counter, ya know?
But, compared to those running; influenced by the facts from the interviews?
I don't wanna run if I'm in the same room ...moving targets are fun for them! Yikes!

If he is picking off people and I can't run, for Pete's sake, at least as he points his gun point blank at me, I can look shocked behind him and shout and point...."POLICE ARE HERE!" To distract him as I dodge someplace else.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:27 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Yes, and unfortunately the constant sensational news coverage only makes the problem worse due to the lemming effect.
Not only that, but how many people are murdered every day in the typical drug/domestic shootings? In many cases, these situations don't even make the local news. How many people were shot in Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, etc., during "routine violence?"

I feel for the people impacted. Still, the statistical odds of dying in a mass shooting over a five or ten year period are extremely small.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:42 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
In Chicago, I'm more worried about the "normal" shootings than the "mass" ones, something like 57 people were wounded last weekend, with seven fatalities. But somehow, that story ends up way down on the page. I wonder why?

Old 08-06-2019, 09:45 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Dunno, I read a prominent headline on it here, this morning, and I'm about 700 miles from Chicago at this point.

I don't really think gun violence in Chicago is a hidden topic that flies under the radar, and I'm a former Chicago resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology