Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 09:24 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,576 times

Advertisements

Kinda like low self esteem. Makes him feel good thinking others give a darn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 09:58 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
How is this different than your thread (about him) asking if lying is a mental illness? It seems we're about to cover the same territory and dance around the same bush.

The man lies. The man embellishes. Whether he does it to prop up his image of himself or he absolutely cannot help it, the result is the same. You're perplexed and unhappy.

Even if you find The One Real Answer To Your Question, what changes? Nothing.

Reading this direct quote – “I haven’t shot my AR 15 in a while” – or how he's "the best shooter" – given the current state of mass shootings in our country, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be standing on line in public with him anywhere. Why would you?
I agree with all your comments.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Have you ever tried asking him follow up questions or suggestions?

"When was the last time you shot your AR 15?" "Is that an assault gun?" "Hey, let's go together to the range." "Let's sign up for that league today." etc.
This. It obviously annoys you, OP, so screw with him when it comes up (unless you're the sort who does all of her complaining to strangers online and is a go-along with him in person). Next time he mentions hunting bring up that massive elk and the funny thing that happened when he brought it down. Watch his reaction.

I agree, people like him are annoying. You should do something about it.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:43 AM

105 posts, read 61,542 times
I have proven to myself that I don't know a dang thing about women.

I probably never will either, but I do know a little something about me, a dude.

I project when I want to claim or expand my territory.
I have arrived people, acknowledge my arrival, NOW.

I yelled the loudest on the playground when I was 10.
I played my stereo the loudest when I was 20.
I boomed that communism was going to ruin the free world when I was 30.
I threw my voice, my big manly voice, to the back of the restaurant to say hello to the chef when I was 40.
I just lectured the 30s something next door that if they were going to spend any money on fishing then they should drop at least $5k on Simms and Sage and I am 50.

My point is that men derive a lot of our stuff by having and doing things that other men only dream about doing.
That doesn't make us jerks it makes us, us. And if we are loudly bragging about stuff its so other men will pay attention because what we are really saying is hey, look how beautiful my woman is.
(Or my man, braggidocio isn't exclusive to heterosexual twits, it effects the homosexual twits too.)

Kind of like a rooster crowing.
Nobody really know what he is crowing about, he is just crowing. Embrace it, love it, smile broadly and put your hands in your back pockets and twist about the waist, like you do, because that line of BS is all part of why your man is awesome.
Haters backoff!

Now you will have to pardon me because I am currently FLYFISHING in the worlds best Blue Ribbon Trout fishery hidden deep inside the Grand Canyon and I've got a 10 pounder hooked for sure.
You only wish you were me!

FISH ONNNNNNN!

Last edited by lifeisruff; 09-10-2019 at 02:25 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 11:00 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisruff View Post

I project when I want to claim or expand my territory.
I have arrived people, acknowledge my arrival, NOW.

I yelled the loudest on the playground when I was 10.
I played my stereo the loudest when I was 20.
I boomed that communism was going to ruin the free world when I was 30.
I threw my voice, my big manly voice, to the back of the restaurant to say hello to the chef when I was 40.
I just lectured the 30s something next door that if they were going to spend any money on fishing then they should drop at least $5k on Simms and Sage and I am 50.

My point is that men derive a lot of our stuff by having and doing things that other men only dream about doing.
That doesn't make us jerks it makes us, us.

Noooo.... It makes you a jerk.

The people who need to spend the most time LISTENING in this world are unfortunately usually the ones TALKING the most.

A real man is secure in what he has and doesn't need to be boastful. Only men with fragile egos display the behavior you've described.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:34 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Bragging has 2 reasons: He's either really insecure or really arrogant.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:44 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post

Reading this direct quote – “I haven’t shot my AR 15 in a while” – or how he's "the best shooter" – given the current state of mass shootings in our country, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be standing on line in public with him anywhere. Why would you?
Right? If I heard someone in line randomly going on and on about shooting and weapons like this, I'd be wondering if he were safe and making note of the exits.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:58 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Reminds me of an episode of "Adderly". Adderly, the secret agent, exchanges himself for an hostage during an embassy seizure. He is put in the hostage room and, believing his captors to be amateurs, starts talking loudly.

"Glad I'm in the hostage room, it's the safest place to be in a situation like this, especially when Tactical hits. You know, I was on the followup team after Tactical went in and liberated an embassy in Rome. Why, those guys were fantastic, they had the whole thing wrapped up in under a minute. Of course, it took us a week to figure out how many terrorists there had been."

Old 09-10-2019, 10:59 PM

105 posts, read 61,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Reminds me of an episode of "Adderly". Adderly, the secret agent, exchanges himself for an hostage during an embassy seizure. He is put in the hostage room and, believing his captors to be amateurs, starts talking loudly.

"Glad I'm in the hostage room, it's the safest place to be in a situation like this, especially when Tactical hits. You know, I was on the followup team after Tactical went in and liberated an embassy in Rome. Why, those guys were fantastic, they had the whole thing wrapped up in under a minute. Of course, it took us a week to figure out how many terrorists there had been."
Exactly! It's all just smoke and mirrors.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:31 PM

285 posts, read 204,421 times
He's bored. Let him have his fun and ask him what he wants to eat. It does take two for a more interesting conversation anyway and it may be that he's trying hard to entertain himself with his own jokes. Chill out and redirect the convo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology