Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 10:40 AM

88 posts, read 65,240 times

Advertisements

I always hear "no one has an easy life", "everyone has struggles even if the struggles are invisible". etc etc....but I wonder if that's the case?

Human life is in a way a balance of your birth lottery along with choices. Some people are born into fortunate circumstances and make good choices. Other bad choices. Some born into really bad circumstances and don't seem to make too many choices that benefit them in the long run.

I just think if we can point to someone who has it really bad in many ways (blind and deaf kid in a third world country in the middle of a famine), someone who suffers physically, emotionally, etc.. Couldn't there be someone the exact opposite (healthy person born to a well off family with enough street smarts to navigate life and won't ever risk homelessness, loss of loved ones too soon, financial debts, worrying about paying the bills). Someone who's life would look on the surface, really easy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 10:55 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
A prisoner in solitary confinement has a very easy life. No responsibilities, no job, no bills to pay, minimal interaction with other beings.

You did say EASY, not luxurious.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:13 AM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
So much would depend on definitions of "easy"...both for the person in question as well as the person who is observing them. Easy...such a subjective term.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:32 AM

63 posts, read 29,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post

I just think if we can point to someone who has it really bad in many ways (blind and deaf kid in a third world country in the middle of a famine), someone who suffers physically, emotionally, etc.. Couldn't there be someone the exact opposite (healthy person born to a well off family with enough street smarts to navigate life and won't ever risk homelessness, loss of loved ones too soon, financial debts, worrying about paying the bills). Someone who's life would look on the surface, really easy?
Couldn’t there be someone the exact opposite. Did you mean only the extremes? If so the answer can only be no. I cannot envision a data table that would support that theory, however I would love to see one with citations.

Loss of loved one too soon? as part the benefit package of being independently wealthy...please explain

How many equal categories would you need for the global population to validate your theory? Things aren’t black and white.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:11 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,821 times
Everything's relative. Some people's lives are much easier than others, so I'd say they have easy lives. That doesn't mean they never encounter problems or struggles, but relatively speaking, their lives are much easier than others.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:34 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
A lot of people who post here have very easy lives based on what I read and what they complain about.

And I would throw myself in that group.

Sure my job is not easy but I could work in retail or work my way up to a $20/hr job and do fine.

I dont have kids and that reduces the 'difficulty' of my life. That is a choice most of have.

That said, I wouldnt say Im getting everything out of thus one life or that Ive made the right decisions.

But I wouldnt call my life 'hard'.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:37 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
I knew a woman who inherited millions from her father and mother. She worked one year in her life, hired people to do everything for her. Yes she had it easy.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:39 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,696 times
There is also a difference between having an easy life, a luxurious life and a carefree life

Old 09-16-2019, 07:26 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
I always hear "no one has an easy life", "everyone has struggles even if the struggles are invisible". etc etc....but I wonder if that's the case?

Human life is in a way a balance of your birth lottery along with choices. Some people are born into fortunate circumstances and make good choices. Other bad choices. Some born into really bad circumstances and don't seem to make too many choices that benefit them in the long run.

Of course there are. Trump is one. Anderson Cooper. Paris Hilton. The Kardashians. Most little rich kids like them.

Then there are those born into middle class homes but born with a high IQ and raised to be productive by loving, well adjusted parents....Bill Gates comes to mind. Never really had to struggle with much of anything. An easy life.

Just as there are those who have drawn the short straws in life, there are those who have drawn the long ones. Life isn't fair.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:48 AM

19,810 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Not sure if this applies, but some people are much more fortunate and/or lucky than others.

I knew a beautiful young woman once who trained me on my new job that she was leaving because she wanted to take some time off with the intention of getting pregnant (by natural means, btw). She was married to a financially very successful man, so they could afford for her to do that. After I knew her for a week or so and felt comfortable enough to say this to her (she was very nice and not conceited in the least), I asked her if she was worried about having a gap in her career just in case she didn't get pregnant soon. She looked at me as if I were crazy, and sure enough -- she got pregnant in less than a month! We maintained our friendship for a little while longer until I divorced and moved away, but in the time I knew her, she did not have even one single bad thing happen to her. It was like all she had to do to get what she wanted was to wish for it.

If she hadn't been such a sweet person, I would have been very envious of her and a little resentful.

Last edited by katharsis; 09-16-2019 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology