Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 07:52 PM

4,242 posts, read 947,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Indulge me here. There is a point to this long story.
Beautiful story, thank you for telling it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 07:58 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imfine View Post
This. Most people will think they are smart, because what they are is their max (at the moment). They won't even recognize smarter people, because their ego and intelligence won't allow them to.

I'm pretty sure you are young. Your description of yourself doesn't show any sign of anything extraordinary.

Bless your heart.

"Smart" doesn't equate to a percentage of intelligence across all aspects of life. The positive takeaway from your post is that many "smart" people recognize their own weaknesses in various areas and understand how to compensate appropriately.

I have no need to comment on any signs you may show.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:32 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,226 times
I wouldn't worry about your situation too much. I think it's rather common. Nobody is good, or even competent at everything, even if they try to learn. I'm not sure if it's more nature or nurture but we all have different strengths and weaknesses. Ex. I have trouble putting together a cabinet or desk that needs any kind of assembly, but I understand concepts (interest, taxes, deductibles, etc.) that you have trouble understanding, pretty easily. I doubt I could make it as an electrician or carpenter but many of those people also couldn't do my job either. We're all ignorant at something and have different aptitudes on various subject. You shouldn't feel like you're stupid just because you can't do something well. I think the key is using your strengths to the best of your ability and recognizing your weaknesses and knowing how to overcome them to be successful.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:02 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
feeling : "stupid" is not a real emotion. Its actually guilt or shame for not being at the level you may have set for yourself.

Your self esteem is not directly linked to your intelligence. It is linked to your inner thought processing of self judgment.

I commend folks who can separate an action (wise or not) from their value as a person overall.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:14 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Wait till you get older!
I think the OP is in her mid-40s.

Most people are in situations in life where they feel clueless, while they have other situations where they feel knowledgeable. I remember asking my BIL a question one time about when he used an algebra skill and his answer was so over my head that I bust out laughing and spit my drink onto the floor. Most people didn’t even know what the skill is in the first place.

There isn’t anyone who is smart in all areas, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:48 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
I once went to the fridge to get a glass of milk. I wound up with half a glass of ketchup before I stopped ...

Old 11-20-2019, 10:34 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I didn't see any indication that you're smart. Anyone can say they have street smarts, common sense, or can read a person. These things require average intelligence. Thats what people say who aren't bright to make themselves feel bright. Now I do know book smart people who are idiots in life. Like they don't understand finance, business, politics, common sense things, etc. Now if you told me you were smart in these areas, I would believe you are actually smart. These are things you can have conversations with people about and they would be impressed if you were knowledgable. No one is impressed by common sense and street smarts.
Yes and no.

I am not that smart but I have common sense and I am street smarts - that's why I have accomplished alot in my life without having a high paying job or any special skills. People are very impressed by it.

I was married to a super smart person but he had no common sense and was not street smart. He is a failure because he doesn't know what to do with his intelligence and how to utilize it.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:53 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I have common sense and street smarts. I can read a person. I know when someone is being played. (And need to explain this to friends who are duped). I can understand and argue different points to conversations. I’m a quick learner when it comes to data entry systems and other work. I take initiative and do my research before asking questions etc....but when it comes to understanding business, insurance, mortgage etc....(deductibles, interest, taxes, premiums, capital, profits, assessments) I can’t grasp it no matter how it’s explained to me. Also anything beyond simple match (and I still need a calculator) I have trouble with. I remember I had only 1 math teacher in HS that could explain things in a way that I understood.
I have a friend who is a financial analyst. Completely versed in everything I can’t grasp yet she has been played but many guys and just didn’t get it, trusted people who screwed her, and doesn’t have a concept or real danger and taking per cautions for her kids etc. I guess I’d rather be street smart but then I hate feeling so dumb when I can’t understand other things.
Welcome to my life. I'm convinced it has something to do with my amygdala being affected by my HF autism.

I'm a total nerd & easily duped when interacting face to face. I just cannot tell when someone is being sarcastic.

But ... I am highly in tune with patterns around me in print & the media. I use the word 'propaganda' a lot here & it sucks to be constantly referred to as a 'conspiracy theorist'. No matter how much I quote & cite & reference; I cannot help people to see what I do.

The only person who could explain math to me was my mom (who had been a teacher & had two PhDs) but I couldn't even use a calculator because I would have had to understand yet another step. It was a distraction but I did pass the 1992 Colorado State RN boards, first try, as the only grad who did NOT use a calculator during the exam.

And I was reading at the level of a HS grad at age 7. I now read 1,363 words per minute & at 16 ranked in the top 2% of the nation for reading comprehension.

But don't tell me a knock-knock joke with a straight face, or I'll go 'deer in headlights' on you.

Old 11-21-2019, 01:36 AM

5,488 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I didn't see any indication that you're smart. Anyone can say they have street smarts, common sense, or can read a person. These things require average intelligence. Thats what people say who aren't bright to make themselves feel bright. Now I do know book smart people who are idiots in life. Like they don't understand finance, business, politics, common sense things, etc. Now if you told me you were smart in these areas, I would believe you are actually smart. These are things you can have conversations with people about and they would be impressed if you were knowledgable. No one is impressed by common sense and street smarts.
I skipped 3rd grade, simultaneously transferring from my local suburban school to a private school in the 'heart' of Buffalo, full of kids who were in many cases close to two years older than me (due to a late cutoff date) and were comparably quite sophisticated/worldly. Early on especially, but even progressing through junior high, I'd hear that I was 'book smart but not street smart' from more than one of my classmates. So I was always sensitive to this sort of critique, even as I never quite knew what it meant. Yeah, I didn't live in the city like most of these kids did, and I was young and somewhat sheltered, but I never really lacked the ability to 'read between the lines' or to understand social dynamics--I just didn't have as much exposure to things. These kids were watching Jerry Springer in the 4th grade while my mother would've never permitted me to do the same, for example--so yeah, there was naivete there, but I don't think 'lack of street smarts' was really the accurate designation. 'Lack of life experience', sure. I lived in an inner-ring suburb about 15 miles away from the school, so the kids could get away with calling my hometown 'cow country' (which I found somewhat humorous) without really being called out for their inaccuracy.

Anyway, 'street smarts' can be acquired/honed, I think. For most people, anyway--I have met a few in my time who do seem hopelessly clueless in social situations, unlikely to ever 'improve'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology