Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 07:09 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

I have a memory of seeing a photo in a magazine when I was a kid. I was about 9 or 10 years old. We had this copy of a kids or teens entertainment/humor magazine. In the middle there was a section of photographs submitted by readers who looked like celebrities.

Most of the celebrity names I didn't know. But there was one of a girl who supposedly looked like "Liza Minelli" who I had never heard of. I have no idea why, but this picture really SCARED me. I could hardly even look at it. Even sitting in the living room with my family in the daytime with the TV on. I loved the magazine but I would have to quickly move past that page. Just a nice photo of a girl smiling. I guess she had short black hair and big eyes kind of like Liza Minelli when she was a teen. Friendly innocent smile. But it almost gave me nightmares.

Can anyone understand what my reaction to this was based on?

Last edited by OzzyRules; 03-06-2020 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 07:28 AM

Since all I can find are actual photos of her, here are a couple that remind me of the pic.

https://imgix.ranker.com/list_img_v2...&q=50&fit=crop

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XQwgIopr5B...esCA9M2CQ2.jpg

Old 03-06-2020, 10:40 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Only thing I can think of is maybe a repressed memory, of something traumatic? Like maybe an awful babysitter, or maybe you witnessed something traumatic that caused you to repress a memory?

Old 03-06-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Only thing I can think of is maybe a repressed memory, of something traumatic? Like maybe an awful babysitter, or maybe you witnessed something traumatic that caused you to repress a memory?
That's interesting, because I was thinking it was just something about the way she looked. Not the typical style in the late 70's. Now I'm even more curious.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:38 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
That's interesting, because I was thinking it was just something about the way she looked. Not the typical style in the late 70's. Now I'm even more curious.
What was the typical style of the 70's? There are 2 completely different styles in the pix you chose. And I imagine that the 70's hairstyles differed by region, to some extent. The hippie long straight hair parted in the middle, no bangs, was popular around the West Coast, for example. I doubt it was in the Midwest.

What strikes me about those photos, that you mentioned in your OP, is that she has huge eyes. Mia Farrow in "Rosemary's Baby" had a somewhat similar look, it seems to me; her eyes dominated her face, and she had very short hair, which accentuated that look. The film had some kind of a Satanic theme, IIRC, so maybe Minelli reminded you of Farrow in the film, but you probably hadn't seen the film, so....IDK.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What was the typical style of the 70's? There are 2 completely different styles in the pix you chose. And I imagine that the 70's hairstyles differed by region, to some extent. The hippie long straight hair parted in the middle, no bangs, was popular around the West Coast, for example. I doubt it was in the Midwest.

What strikes me about those photos, that you mentioned in your OP, is that she has huge eyes. Mia Farrow in "Rosemary's Baby" had a somewhat similar look, it seems to me; her eyes dominated her face, and she had very short hair, which accentuated that look. The film had some kind of a Satanic theme, IIRC, so maybe Minelli reminded you of Farrow in the film, but you probably hadn't seen the film, so....IDK.
No, I don't think I had seen RB, but I was familiar with Mia Farrow from a TV version of Peter Pan that they used to show. They looked nothing alike to me.

I was referring to her face rather than her hair. Her face was what scared me. I wish I could see it again.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:33 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
No, I don't think I had seen RB, but I was familiar with Mia Farrow from a TV version of Peter Pan that they used to show. They looked nothing alike to me.

I was referring to her face rather than her hair. Her face was what scared me. I wish I could see it again.
Right. But in one of the photos of Minelli, she has super short hair, and same w/Farrow in RB. The point being, that very short hair has the effect of bringing facial features, like big eyes dominating the face, to the fore, exaggerating them.

But idk. As someone else mentioned, it could have triggered a traumatic memory from earlier ln life, that you have no conscious recall of.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. But in one of the photos of Minelli, she has super short hair, and same w/Farrow in RB. The point being, that very short hair has the effect of bringing facial features, like big eyes dominating the face, to the fore, exaggerating them.

But idk. As someone else mentioned, it could have triggered a traumatic memory from earlier ln life, that you have no conscious recall of.
As I grew older I actually admired and respected the actress though. So that doesn't seem to fit.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:17 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Who knows. In the first picture of Minelli you posted, she has a look on her face that to me could be read as sort of demented (like she's about to leap out of the photo and bite you), and in the second, she has darkly made-up eyes with huge spidery lashes. If the picture of this girl had any of those qualities, I could see it freaking a kid out.

Or, it could've just been a weird thing that had no specific meaning.

Quote:
As I grew older I actually admired and respected the actress though. So that doesn't seem to fit.
As you got older, sure. Things change. When I was young, I didn't like the taste of ginger. Now I love it. Doesn't invalidate that I disliked it previously, though.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I am guessing the lighting exaggerated features and made the person's face scary to a kid who had perhaps never seen such a photo?

I was skeeved out by the pic of the Indian Chief on an Indian Chief tablet when I was very, very young. So stuff like that does happen.

But more to the point, why is this an issue for you now? You have certainly moved past being scared by a photo?

And not all the reactions we had when young are particularly noteworthy or significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology