Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2020, 10:26 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post

Congrats now go do the right thing gear up man
Ok, tell me who has all the stuff with plenty available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 10:35 PM

8,668 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post

The walks and TV aren't cutting it, but it helps. What are your stress coping strategies for the unique situations imposed by this pandemic? Maybe we can all give each other ideas to help each other.
Physical activity, eating nutritionally, and turning away from the news/updates in order to mentally escape it sometimes. It's all too easy to become laser-focused on the latest stats (which only causes more stress).

That said, the single most important thing is to continue to have meaningful human interaction (despite the fact, and because, most of us are no longer going to the office, seeing our extended families or friends and so on). Take the time to call loved ones and face time with family and friends; and if you're lucky enough to be quarantined/isolated with your spouse/partner/girlfriend, enjoy the quality time together and continue to have 'normal' and interesting conversations (beyond constant coronavirus discussion). When we feel connected to others, we feel less stressed.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:46 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
I'm as high-risk for this virus as it's possible to get. I have virtually every risk factor, even the "bad" blood type. Emotionally I'm a mess. Terrified. Can't sleep, can't eat. Please don't mock me. I feel like I'm losing my mind. I have trouble remembering the details of recent conversations.

To begin with, essentially I've been self-isolating ever since January 15, when my spouse went back to California and I began living here alone, waiting for the divorce to be over. Isolation had nothing to do with the virus then. I'm relatively new to this area and don't know anyone really, despite going to dozens of Meetups and connecting with great people. Neighbors are OK but I rarely see them.

On March 10, the day I really started with the quarantine, I had already been alone with no one to call or talk to for nearly two months. I have had to resort to daily phone conversations with my STBX.

I need hope, something to cling to, but I just don't see any on the horizon. I have to have food delivered, I can't leave. There's no one here to remind me to be careful. If I handle a carton of milk that's contaminated, forget to wash my hands just once and touch my face, I'll get sick. If I get sick I know I will die. There will be no hydroxychloroquine & azithromycin for me, no ventilator either. I read news stories about people who come down with the virus and despite worsening symptoms, are rejected by doctors and ERs. One woman had her daughter, a healthcare professional, taking care of her at home. The daughter vigorously advocated for her mother but kept running into roadblocks. It was only after the mom's BP dropped and she was in septic shock that Mayo Clinic would admit her to the ICU.

I have no one to advocate for me. I am all too keenly aware of that.

It's now 5:16 am and I have been up for two days. I took 50 mg Benadryl, the maximum dose, an hour ago. It has had no effect. I need help dealing with the constant stress and anxiety. How do I find a therapist who will do sessions on the phone? Or a physician who will prescribe sedatives?

Old 04-03-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Good news. They told me my elevator patient tested negative for COVID-19.

I'm happy for you.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:00 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Breathe, I know it must be very scary, but you ARE in control. I can't recommend any personally, but I do know there are online counselors, and if you call your insurance they can recommend one for you.

There is no ideal situation, and while it may be you are alone, that can also be a plus. You don't have to worry about another person bringing it in or making a mistake themselves, getting infected and thus infecting you.

I think a lot is in how you view your situation, so it is important to control your thoughts and not let them run into extreme negativity.

View it, as much as you can, as a sabbatical or whatever feels like a positive. A chance to home spa, meditate, a chance to take online classes, download books from the library, whatever you can find that brings enjoyment.

When you get grocery delivery take the time to wipe everything down, throw away what cartons you can, so from there forward you do not have to worry about contamination every time you want a grape. If it causes too much anxiety only buy fresh food that gets cooked.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-03-2020, 07:01 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Fluffy - you always have CD to talk to. Contact your family doctor's office for medication and a referral. SO had a follow up via video with his cardiologist yesterday. Worked really well. Please stay away from media sensation stories!

For giggles - SO "went to court" today in dignified black shirt and tie with black and white flannel lounge pants. A well coordinated sexy hexy outfit:>)

Old 04-03-2020, 07:21 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It's now 5:16 am and I have been up for two days. I took 50 mg Benadryl, the maximum dose, an hour ago. It has had no effect. I need help dealing with the constant stress and anxiety. How do I find a therapist who will do sessions on the phone? Or a physician who will prescribe sedatives?
Fluffythewondercat, along with the other good suggestions here, if you don't have a family physician, I would suggest getting in touch with an organization called NAMI, which could probably refer you to a therapist in your area. I would imagine many are doing telephone sessions right now due to the virus. This pandemic is stressful enough on someone who has no known risk factors, so it's understandable that you're feeling overwhelmed right now. I know that would be extremely stressful for anyone.

https://www.nami.org/Find-Support/NAMI-HelpLine

Last edited by Jowel; 04-03-2020 at 07:33 AM..

Old 04-03-2020, 07:35 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Fluffythewondercat, along with the other good suggestions here, if you don't have a family physician, I would suggest getting in touch with an organization called NAMI, which could probably refer you to a therapist in your area, and I would imagine many are doing telephone sessions right now due to the virus. This pandemic is stressful enough on someone who has no known risk factors, so it's understandable that you're feeling overwhelmed right now. I know that would be extremely stressful for anyone.

https://www.nami.org/Find-Support/NAMI-HelpLine
yeah I found this link on their page if you just need to talk to someone too.
Quote:
Need to Talk?
WARM LINE, PEER RECOVERY NON-EMERGENCY SUPPORT BY HOPE, INC.
(520) 770-9909 OR 1 (877) 770-9912
7 Days a Week, 365 Days a Year, 8am-Midnight

Old 04-03-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Fluffy - you always have CD to talk to. Contact your family doctor's office for medication and a referral.
Thanks, I have just done this. It might take a couple of days to get a response but at least it's a positive step. Fortunately I have had this PCP for about ten years and he knows me well.

Quote:
SO had a follow up via video with his cardiologist yesterday. Worked really well. Please stay away from media sensation stories!

I know you're right. I would love to be outside most of the time but it's allergy season and not good for my lungs with all that pollen in the air.

I appreciate your help, truly.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:54 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Tell me about allergies:>) Six years of shots and Izzi&Bizzi just decided that my laptop is nothing but a heating pad with human chin scratcher attachment. And I am very grateful for that job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology