Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 08:25 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times

Advertisements

I think it's the same logic behind refusing to wear seat belts or motorcycle helmets:

There are two aspects to the arguments.
first is the reason they don't want to wear a mask:
It's not cool/macho/it's embarrassing
It's uncomfortable

second are the excuses they give:
It's my body, I'll take my chances
It's against my civil rights
It's all fake news
They (doctors, etc.) don't know what they're talking about
Trump/the head of the CDC/some other well-known person doesn't wear one

Old 06-27-2020, 09:09 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Why do I wear a mask?

To protect you. Do me a courtesy, and protect me from you too.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:33 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times
I don’t wear one. It’s not anyone’s business. I’ve gone to a beach recently which was somewhat crowded as well as no one wearing masks. There wasn’t much social distancing going on either.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:07 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
I can't stand to wear a mask for more than a few minutes. If my job required a mask for longer than that, I'd have to find another job. Therefore, I mostly go to stores that don't require one or order online; I also observe social distancing. Anyone demanding to go without a mask at a place that requires one is a jackass.

That said, if I were at high risk for a bad COVID infection, I'd protect myself instead of expecting everybody else to do it for me.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:12 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I can't stand to wear a mask for more than a few minutes. If my job required a mask for longer than that, I'd have to find another job. Therefore, I mostly go to stores that don't require one or order online; I also observe social distancing. Anyone demanding to go without a mask at a place that requires one is a jackass.

That said, if I were at high risk for a bad COVID infection, I'd protect myself instead of expecting everybody else to do it for me.
Exactly what I have been thinking all along. About protecting myself aka immune system.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:26 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Exactly what I have been thinking all along. About protecting myself aka immune system.
I was thinking more along the lines of avoiding crowds, etc. But I've also heard that self-isolation isn't good for your immune system.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:58 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of avoiding crowds, etc. But I've also heard that self-isolation isn't good for your immune system.
I've been avoiding crowds for YEARS, so that's not my concern....

I preach get your freaking Immune System strong and take care of YOURSELF...

Old 06-28-2020, 01:21 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,305,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've been avoiding crowds for YEARS, so that's not my concern....

I preach get your freaking Immune System strong and take care of YOURSELF...
That's good practice. But now with pandemic raging, for some it is a bit late to start.

If you were my mother I would suggest this -- even with a strong immune system, let's take absolutely ZERO chance. Why take any chance?

Plus, if you get involved with this, you and some family member are gonna suffer financial damage for sure.

I was a bit indifferent at the beginning when local numbers were only in single or even double digits; but when numbers started to tick up and work-from-home was announced, I went to hide away and don't meet anyone in person. The world is too beautiful to take any chances.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:42 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
It's not convenient; it affects breathing. Yes I get all that. But in times of need - no matter sawing wood, cutting tiles, dentists working on teeth - we wear masks. Pandemic seems to be such a time.

So why are some people so upset about wearing a mask? What's the thinking?
They don't like being told what to do by a corrupt government that lost its moral authority a long time ago (if it ever had it in the first place).

Old 06-28-2020, 02:47 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I believe that Iread somewhere that you couldn’t sit on the beach in California, you could walk and exercise, but no sitting
I live here and I can vouch for that. At the state beaches, the park rangers were not letting anyone sit on the beach. You had to go directly into the water and right back out. I personally witnessed this, so it's not a rumor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology