Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 08:36 PM

6,470 posts, read 3,990,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This doesn't seem all that unreasonable, though. Have you been distancing? Are you staying home except for essential errands? Do you wear a mask when around others? This is a virus spread by contact with people, and they need to know what they're bringing into their microclimate.

As for the 6-year-old crying, this a weird and scary time for a lot of people. People are dying because of this virus, and kids don't understand why they can't or shouldn't go to the pool or the playground or to grandma's house.
Yes, but one can tell a kid "well, lots of people are getting sick right now, so we need to keep our distance from other people so they don't make us sick and we don't make them sick." You don't have to burden a little kid with a bunch of stuff about dying and such. There's absolutely no reason to have discussions about a lot of people dying in front of kids, or to tell them they're going to die, or anything like that. (OP didn't mention that anyone close to the family has died, so I assume it wouldn't need to be explained to the kids for that reason.)

And, there are people visiting family and friends and staying at opposite ends of the yard, or from either side of a window or storm door, etc. That doesn't strike me as inappropriate. I wouldn't advocate for OP getting close to the kids, but waving from the sidewalk or talking through a closed window or something? (I mean, I get it. It's possible they have certain friends or relatives they want to keep away, so they've adopted a blanket policy of "nobody comes by" but... we don't know if that's the case.)

Old 07-12-2020, 03:14 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,394,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post

Last week I sent my niece a text and asked if I could see the kids and she replied back with this long dramatic spiel about how they didn't know where I had been or who I've been in contact with, and she didn't want to risk it. I was absolutely heartbroken.
Why don't you instead suggest a fun Zoom party? Give the kids a good memory.

I wouldn't let you come over either if I had small children. I watch too many people being foolish.

Old 07-12-2020, 07:49 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,882,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Why don't you instead suggest a fun Zoom party? Give the kids a good memory.

I wouldn't let you come over either if I had small children. I watch too many people being foolish.
Having or suggesting Zoom sessions is like telling people to eat cake when they can't afford bread. Zoom is a video chat, not a "party". Those kids are missing face-to-face interactions, which their parents unilaterally took away from them. A Zoom session would be a slap in the face, which is the last thing they need. What they do need is to get out of that family, like to live with a relative for a few months, just to experience a healthy, normal lifestyle.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:00 AM

2,235 posts, read 2,408,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Having or suggesting Zoom sessions is like telling people to eat cake when they can't afford bread. Zoom is a video chat, not a "party". Those kids are missing face-to-face interactions, which their parents unilaterally took away from them. A Zoom session would be a slap in the face, which is the last thing they need. What they do need is to get out of that family, like to live with a relative for a few months, just to experience a healthy, normal lifestyle.
Yeah I agree... zoom parties...lol what a bore.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:12 AM

50,837 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
It's eerie how you mentioned it. The people who report social distancing violators would also report Anne Frank, and pat themselves on the back for doing so.

OP, do the right thing: put an end to those parents' idiocy. Call CPS as a "concerned citizen". Tell them you're worried about kids being confined in the home 24/7 with no fresh air or exercise. Then let the parents kick themselves in the rear, while their kids get taken away to live with a relative (maybe even you) or a foster family. Just because the parents are afraid of the Covid-1984 monster under their proverbial bed, doesn't mean they need to pass the fear onto their kids.
No one is keeping kids from getting fresh air and exercise, no one. My nieces kids ride bikes with their mom and today are probably in the pool. None are cowering in fear. And no, reporting someone having a Covid party or similar is not even close to the same as reporting Jews hiding from Nazis. Good grief. All your posts are comically hyperbolic. If they were legit points you wouldn’t have to do that.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:44 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,038,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I don't think the parents are being unreasonable about keeping themselves distanced. They've made it this far.
Yeah, they've "made it." And yeah they're still alive.. That was never in question. No Nazi Sturmtruppen banging down the door to take them away - at least for now.

Quote:
Of course, IF they are fear-mongering their kids, that's not good. Is your sister a reliable narrator, or is does she exaggerate like my mom did? Is there a chance the girl didn't actually cry out, "I don't want to die"?
No.

Quote:
Obviously these parents have chosen an extreme position, but y'all have to respect that even if you don't respect their method.
No I don't.

I am legitimately concerned for the MENTAL well being of my niece and nephew.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:48 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,038,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They still could do fun things with their kids outdoors. Drive out and see the rural scenery, stop & admire flowers and butterflies, learn about nature, see sunrises and sunsets, observe birds, trees, clouds, have picnic outdoors (not in crowded public parks), fly a kite...
I understand taking precautions but there is no reason to instill fear and paranoia. It could leave a permanent mark on their psyche.
Explained right with common sense will teach kids to understand the current situation and how to take care of themselves without being scared of everything and everyone. Kids at that age can understand basic precautions and situations that lead to such.
Key words "Could Do."

My niece told me herself back in the spring that they hadn't been anywhere in so long that the tires went flat on her car.

I understand there is a multitude of things they "COULD DO" - problem is they're NOT.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:49 AM

50,837 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Yeah, they've "made it." And yeah they're still alive.. That was never in question. No Nazi Sturmtruppen banging down the door to take them away - at least for now.

No.

No I don't.

I am legitimately concerned for the MENTAL well being of my niece and nephew.
I don’t blame you for that, but it’s not because of Covid restrictions, it’s because they apparently have parents who unnecessarily frighten their kids and tell them they might die. That is not at all typical.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:51 AM

11,063 posts, read 6,658,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Exactly. Being inside with a bunch of books and movies and art projects that I could do myself would have been my ideal childhood.(Heck, it's been my ideal adulthood.)
Me too. As a kid, I'd go to the library during lunch hour.

I think these parents are doing the best they can in a situation full of uncertainty.

"Better to err on the side of caution". They don't know where you've been, OP.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:56 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,394,472 times
Quote:
Of course they are missing face-to-face. But that is not happening now. So what do you do? Just sulk about it and just shut the door? Least try to have a good time another way. Creativity in these time are needed. Have you even tried Zoom? We have had some good times. I am not even a FaceTime kind of person, Zoom has been good for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology