Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2020, 08:11 AM

464 posts, read 202,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
1. Psychopaths have higher social intelligence
2. Psychopaths put more effort into external appearance
3. Psychopaths have more relaxed attitudes towards casual sex
4. Psychopaths show confidence and know how to gain attention of the opposite sex
5. Psychopaths exert a strange allure
6. Psychopaths are smooth talking
I wonder what, about being "insane" and lacking emotions or empathy, orients a person to have these traits? One could argue, maybe the motivation to take advantage of others compels them to develop these traits. But, how does one derive MOTIVATION out of a LACK OF EMOTION?

And for people, who aren't genetically born to be psychopathic but rather become narcissistic due to their environment, ...do they just wake up one day and say, "You know what, I think I'd like to be a narcissist today. I'm tired of playing by the rules".Do these people just press an EASY BUTTON and become smarter and good looking? Lol ok setting aside the rhetoric....

It seems like the original premise is; Pyschopaths are mostly better looking and cooler than "regular" guys...and narcissists are too. You better look out for them! But regular dudes, you could learn a thing or two from them. You want you be more attractive and cool? Act more like a narcissist.... adopt a jerk's mentally and you will, dress better, talk smoother and be cooler like THAT. I know nobody said this ^^ but it could be implied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 08:16 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sHorrorJunkie View Post
I wonder what, about being "insane" and lacking emotions or empathy, orients a person to have these traits? One could argue, maybe the motivation to take advantage of others compels them to develop these traits. But, how does one derive MOTIVATION out of a LACK OF EMOTION?

And for people, who aren't genetically born to be psychopathic but rather become narcissistic due to their environment, ...do they just wake up one day and say, "You know what, I think I'd like to be a narcissist today. I'm tired of playing by the rules".Do these people just press an EASY BUTTON and become smarter and good looking? Lol ok setting aside the rhetoric....

It seems like the original premise is; Pyschopaths are mostly better looking and cooler than "regular" guys...and narcissists are too. You better look out for them! But regular dudes, you could learn a thing or two from them. You want you be more attractive and cool? Act more like a narcissist.... adopt a jerk's mentally and you will, dress better, talk smoother and be cooler like THAT. I know nobody said this ^^ but it could be implied.
That's not at all what the studies are saying. Did you read them?

Old 10-02-2020, 08:23 AM

464 posts, read 202,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's not at all what the studies are saying. Did you read them?
I'm talking about the traits I *highlighted and how they apply to every day people*. NO I'm not going to read every link in a post. I read your op though, ALMOST all of the replies, and every branch those replies took in an attempt to fairly contribute to your thread.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:39 AM

4,382 posts, read 2,283,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sHorrorJunkie View Post
I think studies have shown psychopaths have a higher cognitive empathy than normal people. Not the kind of empathy which is like sympathy, ie, feeling another persons feelings, but they are very good at reading people and guessing what is going on in that persons mind, what makes them tick, so they have a leg up on knowing how to manipulate people.

Its possible that got developed as a way to overcompensate for their lack of sympathetic empathy. If they wanted to blend in and appear normal, they had to find ways to disguise and compensate for their weaknesses, the things that comenaturally to other people (ie showing the right emotions at the right times, rather than, say, laughing when someone tells you their dog died).

So that is where the higher social intelligence comes from. They have been practicing this much longer than most of us have.

The motivation is that they want things. They lack emotions but they still need to acquire things to survive. Food, shelter, sex. They may not be motivated by normal things, such as a desire to be a good citizen, to help people, to fall in love, to bring children in the world and raise them the best you can. Those are healthy aspirations and healthy motives coming from the normal range of human emotions most people have.

Imagine not having emotions, not getting fulfillment, meaning, or pleasure from those things, life might seem very boring and meaningless, right? But physical sensation is still there, so the psychopath might be more drawn to hedonistic things, sex, drugs, gambling, etc.

Quote:
Narcissism is a different subject. Narcissists have emotions, their disorder usually comes from a wound that happened in childhood.

Quote:
Well I think improving social skills, cognitive empathy, and grooming could be a good thing for anyone to do. That doesnt mean they should mimic psychopaths though. And anyone with normal emotions and conscience would not be able to bring themselves to do that anyway imo.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:20 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
It's been noted anecdotally and empirically that women raise the pitch of their voice when interacting with a man they find attractive. What I find interesting and maybe a bit troubling from the study was that women tended to respond this way to men who exhibited affective symptoms of psychopathy, such as being emotionally shallow, callous, and unconcerned with the welfare of others. So those are qualities at least some women seem drawn to? WTF?

Old 10-02-2020, 09:29 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times
There's been a lot of emphasis on destabilizing culture and tradition. Many forces benefit from taking what's made us strong, and changing it into what makes us weak and dependent. Just look around. It goes way beyond the alleged attractiveness of psychopaths. Better to widen the scope and vision to the bigger picture.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:46 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,917 times
People who use emotional reasoning as their primary mode of mental processing are more susceptible to manipulation. When I was doing my dissertation I designed an experiment about persuasion in online dating. Women that were what I would call emotionally scared, insecure type, and who used direct defensive language on their profile such as: "don't waste my time", "no married men", "I'm not here just for sex", etc., were much more open to direct manipulative language in the opposite, while the women who were lot less defensive in their profiles were much more cautious in my "don't worry I'm a gentleman seeking a long-term relationship approach".

Psychopaths prey on the weak and insecure.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:53 AM

4,382 posts, read 2,283,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
People who use emotional reasoning as their primary mode of mental processing are more susceptible to manipulation. When I was doing my dissertation I designed an experiment about persuasion in online dating. Women that were what I would call emotionally scared, insecure type, and who used direct defensive language on their profile such as: "don't waste my time", "no married men", "I'm not here just for sex", etc., were much more open to direct manipulative language in the opposite, while the women who were lot less defensive in their profiles were much more cautious in my "don't worry I'm a gentleman seeking a long-term relationship approach".

Psychopaths prey on the weak and insecure.
I use emotional reasoning so that makes sense to me. One way is too much sympathy for others can be a weakness. Psychopaths know how to use others' pity as a way to manipulate them. Isnt there a saying, "The devil wants to be pitied rather than envied or admired?"

Because when people pity you, they have a soft spot for you. A pitiable person is nonthreatening and even endearing.

When people envy you, on the other hand, they want to see you fall.

In Snow White, the evil queen disguised herself as a cute little old woman to give the poison apple to Snow White. Maybe thats a fairy tale version of a psychopath.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:02 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
I use emotional reasoning so that makes sense to me. One way is too much sympathy for others can be a weakness. Psychopaths know how to use others' pity as a way to manipulate them. Isnt there a saying, "The devil wants to be pitied rather than envied or admired?"

Because when people pity you, they have a soft spot for you. A pitiable person is nonthreatening and even endearing.

When people envy you, on the other hand, they want to see you fall.
It doesn't necessarily have to be pity. The easiest way for someone to take advantage of a victim is to prey on their insecurities, elevate them per say. Often insecure people are told that their insecurities/walls/defensive mechanisms are silly, exaggerated. Psychopaths take the opposite approach. That's all they worry about disarming, and once disarmed, take advantage of it.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Maybe but I can also see how that could backfire. The saying "Flattery will get you nowhere" is well known. Also "brownnose." Arent most people savvy enough to see flattery for what it is?

The exception might be those with NPD who need flattery and admiration and are delusional enough to believe it.
I'm not talking about flattery. For a example in a business acquisition negotiation, the company getting acquired might be hesitant about appearing weak. One way to alleviate that insecurity is to allow an old CEO to stay on for a period of time while getting other concessions that are much more meaningful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology