Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 08:29 PM

666 posts, read 424,136 times

Advertisements

When the subject is broached regarding topics which are things somebody your age should have accomplished by now, is it wrong to deceive people who do not know your past into believing that you haven't missed some major developmental milestones? Is it a waste of time to try to play the catch up game? Or unscrupulous to lie about your age (ha wouldn't this one would be exciting)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 10:40 PM

720 posts, read 428,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
When the subject is broached regarding topics which are things somebody your age should have accomplished by now, is it wrong to deceive people who do not know your past into believing that you haven't missed some major developmental milestones? Is it a waste of time to try to play the catch up game? Or unscrupulous to lie about your age (ha wouldn't this one would be exciting)?
I think lying about milestones and such superficial stuff is just setting you back. There's no reason to lie to people unless it will directly help you avoid really unpleasant circumstances.

But in everyday conversations I think it's more interesting to talk honestly about the supposed milestones and maybe why you haven't reached them or even how to reach them in case you still want to. It's a chance to grow

Old 10-12-2020, 12:17 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I'm guessing you're talking about meeting new people who like to ask personal questions? Say...the middle aged lady at your new place of employment asking if you have a GF, when in fact, you're a virgin...that kind of thing?

IMO, it's best not to lie, simply because then you have to start keeping track of what you said to who. BUT, if there are topics you anticipate will make you uncomfortable, practice a response that will stop further inquiry. Think about the things you DON'T want to discuss. The things you fear will come up in conversation...and think of a response to that. Practice in front of the mirror even, so you get the right facial expressions down, to go with your statements.

I'm thinking of likely milestones...

Still living at home with parents? "I've had some setbacks."

Never had a date? "Haven't met the right woman/man yet."

Haven't bought a house yet? "I'm not ready to buy a house yet."

(These are just some typical "milestones" people measure themselves by. Your mileage may differ.)

And if people are so rude as to keep pressuring you, there's always the good ol standby "I'm not comfortable talking about this with you."

Old 10-12-2020, 01:12 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times
Never ever lie about that kind of stuff. You'll likely feel worse about your situation in the long run.

Well maybe its ok to lie to get rid of some annoying seatmate on an airplane lol.

Old 10-12-2020, 03:38 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
I do not believe in 'milestones'.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:20 PM

107 posts, read 60,709 times
Be honest and be yourself. If someone doesn't accept your honesty and truthfulness, they aren't worth investing your time with. And yes, that includes family members. People love other's honesty until they are honest with them. Many times, the questions they ask are seriously none of their business. Be the best YOU that YOU can be -- regardless of others opinions.

In the Marine Corps we always allude to the fact that what a person thinks about me (us) behind our back is none of our business and really doesn't matter at the end of the day. I live out that motto....

Old 10-12-2020, 05:35 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Are we talking about other people's milestones? Or the ones you have set for yourself as an individual?

Old 10-12-2020, 05:58 PM

867 posts, read 722,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Are we talking about other people's milestones? Or the ones you have set for yourself as an individual?

This!

One's person's milestone is another's obstacle in the road.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:54 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I don't think it's really anyone's business. I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but to me many 'milestones' are cultural. There are plenty of things I haven't done in my life because it wasn't a part of our family traditions. I didn't really care one way or another if we did it. It simply wasn't important to me.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:18 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
When the subject is broached regarding topics which are things somebody your age should have accomplished by now, is it wrong to deceive people who do not know your past into believing that you haven't missed some major developmental milestones? Is it a waste of time to try to play the catch up game?
It's a waste of time to worry about what others think. Whether you've accomplished matters or not is you're own business. Plus you can't change the past. So, avoid all of that.

And yes, avoid lies too.

You don't even need to engage in conversation. You have the freedom to not comment or say anything. Then you have no need to decide whether to tell the truth or something else. People are endlessly nosey and petty. Some love to toy with belittle others, if you let them. Be in charge, and shut it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology