Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 07:56 PM

11,023 posts, read 5,989,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
OH, NO, NOT AT ALL!

I am probably more coy and sexually suggestive on CD than in real life......that is what was meant, right? A comparison and not a question that first we work it up on CD and THEN we go do it in real life?
I'm told I am coy and sexually aggressive in real life. I must be doing something wrong here!

Hey I'm just kidding!

Just kidding, OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 08:27 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Oh, no, I used to greatly enjoy a good old usenet flamewar.

Good to see another Usenet veteran!

Old 01-18-2021, 09:44 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
I learned a long time ago to play nice. I also know how badly words can affect someone.

I grew up in a family that argued and used sarcasm as a recreation. I'm pretty good at it. But it's hurtful and I don't want to be that person.

Don't come at me, though. I might be in the mood to spar. And if you're not in my league I get bored quickly. Rather amusing.

I really don't like to see people ganging up on an individual, either. That seems to be popular. Bandwagons. Never been one to jump on.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:32 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,548 times
^^i second what hunterseat said.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:35 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
I didnt know where to put this so mods feel free to move the thread. So, a question to to my fellow CD'ers. Do you feel like you can pretty much say whatever the bleep you want on CD so long as there are no curse words or ranting personal attacks? There seem to be a lot of posts about things such as heated and sometimes demeaning and insulting arguments, people openly admitting to adultery, people openly admitting they're LGBT along with the fact that they've told absolutely no one else but CD etc...... It's like we all develop Asperger's once we get on an internet forum. I certainly do it, though now that I've been on here a while and am on my third account I've toned down quite a bit. And I dont mean to cast a negative light on the question. It's a lot cheaper then therapy.
I m very shy and sheepish in real life but can write well. Cant take any if the onlune qualities to real life.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:38 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Yes.

I usually try to maintain a modicum of professionalism in real life.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:47 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,600 times
I write more straightforwardly than I speak. In real life I'm more goofy, dry humour, that sort of thing. Which don't always translate well to the written word, so I tone it down. I don't swear here, either, or use even the milder oaths. I'm a sailor on shore leave sometimes in real life (depending on audience, of course).

My opinions and viewpoints are exactly what I express on CD or off, though. The only difference is how I express them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Why would it be like we all develop Asperger's once we get on an internet forum? I have Asperger's already! Asperger's doesn't describe a person's personality, only a social development condition.
Ha! Me, too. And yes, exactly.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:01 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I would have to say that I'm no different in person then I am on City Data. I've had only one account and one infraction in the 9 years I've been a guest here. Given that the political forum is pretty rough and tumble, I think that's pretty good. I think the infraction had more to do with someone who wanted to dish it out but couldn't take it when it was delivered back.

I've often said that I can be your best friend or your worst enemy, you choose.

What you see is what you get with me, either here or in real life. I'm not shy.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:04 AM

10,902 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I rarely confront people about their stupid ideas in real life, but occasionally say what I think here. I don't call them names or use foul language, I just explain how and why I disagree with their ridiculous notions. I'm clear that my post isn't going to change the way they think, but sometimes it feels good to let the world know that not everybody thinks the same way. Many people seem to be afraid to disagree with the prevailing sentiment in a thread, thinking they're alone. Heck, it's just the internet; I'm okay being a lone voice.

For instance, on another forum (where I knew a lot of members in real life), people were complaining about a guy who put extremist signs on his truck and parked on a busy thoroughfare. Some posters were talking about violence against him. I posted that I disagreed with his viewpoint, but felt he had a right to express it. Several more posters agreed with me, and the thread lost its angry, violent feel. I wonder how the insurrection at the Capitol would have gone if a few reasonable people had spoken up.

I also usually wait a bit after responding emotionally to a post; about half the time, I just delete it because writing got it out of my system. I'll also sometimes edit a post to dial down the emotions.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:28 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Regarding "responding emotionally" (above)...

I have found that nothing here has any real ability to provoke much emotion on my part. The only times I have had that problem, have been situations where I was already at my wits' end about some other problem in my life, very raw about whatever it was, and made the huge mistake of sharing it here. I know better now, and tend to wait until I'm cool and calm before I discuss anything I'm sensitive about, or just to keep such a subject off the boards completely.

But if I'm not already there, nothing that anyone can say on this site is gonna take me to an emotionally upset kind of a place. Though likely I may be perceived as such at times when I'm deploying sarcasm or hyperbole to make a point. Tone doesn't convey, and that can make things tricky sometimes when no one knows that you are typing something in a cucumber-cool state of mind, but exaggerating for effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology