Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 08:30 AM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times

Advertisements

Well, the only thing you can do then is just truly enjoy ALL other aspects of your life the best you can...time w/ family & friends, hobbies, enjoying good food, traveling (when COVID's hopefully a LOT more under control), etc...& even hopefully you like your job. Enjoy the good things in life if you can afford it...nice car, home, whatever else makes you happy, etc.

My personal opinions about it though are that I hope you're not younger than 40 to have this cynical thinking about never meeting someone. I just think that's too young to be giving up. Now if you're in your 40s & up, then I guess if that's the way you feel, but I truly think no one's too old to meet someone. No one knows when someone will enter their lives. You could meet that one person at the right time when you're grocery shopping, who knows.

Now I fully realize that in these COVID times, that it's a lot tougher to meet someone. If I had no SO, I'd just see how things go w/ COVID & then when it (hopefully) gets a LOT better, then I'd be more dilligent in trying to meet someone. Have you tried what I suggested to someone else in another thread, which is to ask your friends & family to help be on the lookout for you & if they happen to meet anyone at all who they think will be a good match, to have them meet you? So then, you'll have several or more pairs of eyes on your behalf who each go places, do things, & meet different people that you may not who are on the lookout for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 08:31 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
I agree with the advice to build a strong financial platform. As a single person you are in a great place to build personal wealth.

Create a family with your closest single friends. Build trusting relationships that can support you through illness, loneliness and life's achievements.

Stay close with your nieces/nephews/friends children. Don't miss a birthday, and be there as a mentor and guide so you can have a hand in shaping the next generation.

Take risks. Use your independence as a permission slip to try new things...adventure travel, go after your dream career, etc.

Get and love a pet companion.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:47 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Odd forum for that. Maybe your self-pitying, soul-sucking defeatist attitude is why you can't find a woman. Here's a great idea. Work on yourself and try being a person worth dating.
Not what this thread is about.

Back to the OP,

I'm going to echo what everyone else is saying.

Focus on your health and wealth. Set career goals. Focus on the platonic relationships in your life. Love comes in all difference forms, romantic love is not the ultimate despite what everyone will try to tell you. Travel around the world. Immerse yourself in things that you love to do. Volunteer at charities/fundraisers. Get a loving pet. Once you find your inner peace and finally learn the beauty of self love/care, nothing will bring you down.

Good luck

Old 03-14-2021, 08:49 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InwardPass View Post
So I’ve decided I’m giving up. I’m never going to get a woman, and I don’t even want to at this point. I’m now trying to figure out how to spend the next however many decades alone, because there are most likely many in front of me. It’s not ideal, but it’s my only option. Does anyone else have advice for going through life alone?
Awesome decision! Congrats for taking that first small step.

Actually, it "is" ideal under today's diseased court system that does not favor men in divorce situations. Assuming you're a guy. Advice, hmm: might want to start researching the Mansosphere on YouTube and elsewhere. Names of interest (small sample): Rollo Tomassi, Richard Cooper, Coach Greg Adams, Better Bachelor (aka Joker). James Marshall's "Five Principles" and Tomassi's "Iron Rules" should get you well on your way out of the perverse Blue Pill anti-world we seem to live in, and onto Red.

I've lived a long life so far that way prior to any real concept of the Manosphere which arose w/social media 10-20 years ago. Free Agent Lifestyle, man. Divorce and children in-general are ruinous. I've had various FWB past four years and that serves my purposes splendidly on occasion. And theirs too, of course: true Capitalism in action.

Going out riding motorcycles today, plus a hike. Try any of that with some hag and three brats hanging off your wallet. When I want to be social (rare) I join a Meetup or FB Group with activities I like.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:02 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
I've never been so happy as when I was alone. I like my company. Other people just complicate things and make demands.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:15 AM

1,227 posts, read 633,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I've never been so happy as when I was alone. I like my company. Other people just complicate things and make demands.
I was just thinking the same, if you enjoy your own company you will be happy being alone. Independence breeds strength. I think the OP was hoping we’d tell him not to give up on finding love. Truth is not a pep talk.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:45 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Don't think of yourself as half a person. Don't exclude yourself from things you might want to do because you don't have anyone to do them with. Want to take a cruise? Drive Route 66? See the Eiffel Tower? Then go ahead and do them! Allow yourself to participate in the world, enjoy its pleasures, and experience its wonders.

If seeing other people in couples makes you sad, try to avoid situations where couples are likely to predominate. Go out to dinner on Tuesday night instead of Saturday night. Use Valentine's Day to do your grocery shopping or shampoo your carpets. Do your grocery shopping on Friday or Saturday night. (The stores are practically empty at those times, so it's a great time to go.) And so on.

That said, don't neglect your friends or relatives who are in couples. Get to know your nieces and nephews and kids of your friends. Participate in their lives. Go to their soccer games or school plays. Just because they're not "your" kids doesn't mean that you can't have a share of them. Being involved with them can be tremendously rewarding. If you do, inevitably at some point they will ask you why you're not married yet. Just smile and tell them that you haven't found the right one yet. Let them see that you are a whole, complete person, all by yourself.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:49 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
"Get" a woman. Is that something like catching a fish?

Old 03-14-2021, 10:03 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
I was married 45 years, she is gone, and I have my sanity back.
I was not a great husband, I can see that I should have been better, however
I did not have the expertise in psychology to sort out her problems she wouldn't talk about.
I loved her in the beginning but more and more I think I was an escape for her.
In the old days in small villages, you knew everyone and everyone knew you, few if any secrets existed.
Todays society is nothing like that, and deep problems people have are not addressed till it is too late.
People are far more complicated now and often times people say "what they think you want to hear" but not the truth.
I now am good friends with women but I make it painfully clear it can't go any further than that, and no horsing around.
In most instances, that pretty much ends the relationship, but there are exceptions.
As far as keeping busy, I have my inheritance from dad, several tons of antiques and junk in the most literal terms. and I have my own projects building things I dream up.
You might enjoy the Bushcraft Forum, people sharing tricks and tips working with wood or camping and such.
Develop some skills, and may be a new trade.
I find that diversity in skills gives me a great deal to learn and do.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:09 AM

3,272 posts, read 1,750,300 times
I got hitched at 42 and I miss my single days. I could go hunting or fishing any where and any time I wanted. I could stay up late playing cards with my friends, eat whatever I wanted and leave the toilet seat up and not get yelled at. Enjoy bachelorhood while you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology