Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 07:29 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,431,722 times

Advertisements

Hit, slam and throw things. I've broken many things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 08:41 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
I don’t go off on people. I just wait till I get home, and then I start playing a video game. Usually, it’s GTA V because so many people suck at driving.

Old 07-14-2021, 11:59 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Raising my voice, slamming a door now and then, and that's about it.

I have been known to throw things in years gone past. But, I ended up cleaning the mess. One time, I was making baked ziti and something came on the TV that pis*ed me off so much I just dropped the dish of ziti, not throwing it, just dropped it. I ended up cleaning the mess and it took so long, I never did that again.

At work, I could give the best facial expressions at people if they were unprofessional, which many times they were. Sometimes a comment, but rarely.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:49 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I yell. I hate that I do it, but it's like an immediate reaction. My mother and my maternal grandfather were both yellers, too. I don't stay mad for long though, it's like a summer thunderstorm, then it's over. My honey throws things sometimes or slams doors. His shaver broke when he was getting ready for work recently so he threw it against the wall. Then he had to patch a hole in the bathroom wall, lol.
Yeah, I get that. I don't even have the excuse of learned behavior since my stoic Swedish parents showed no emotion whatever. Never raised their voices, even. What happened to me?

My ex was pretty contained, but when he once punched a hole in the drywall---that's when I left. For good.

My other ex punched our mule with a brick, and kicked the dogs, and when he punched me once, I left him too.

Yet both of them protested they did not know WHY I left. Jeez guys.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:56 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Ooh. I get that. Cut off my nose to spite my face. Or the guy who kicks the dawg.

When I was in my twenties I threw breakables and the glass breaking was like total relief. I actually considered going to garage sales and buying cheap glassware to keep in the basement. Poor girl. No clue.

I think about that now and realize what a serious anger management problem I had and how little I even understood about how to resolve it. It was just wash, rinse and repeat without ever recognizing the true source of the anger or what to do about it so that I didn't find myself having to periodically relieve it without resolution.

Now and then we all run into someone with that pattern. We say "the wrong thing" and they explode totally out of proportion to the issue. You know? Stuffers.

They go through life picking up little angers like crumpled pieces of paper on the ground and stuffing them into their anger bag. One day the anger bag is as full as it can get and the next someone who wanders by who triggers their anger gets the whole bag dumped on their head.

The image is humorous but the implication is actually dangerous. They "deal" with their anger but they never resolve it.

I find it astounding how little training most of us are ever given in how to deal with emotions effectively since they are such a large part of how satisfied we are with our lives.
I did that once as a child, maybe 5 or 6. My mom sent me to my room, where I promptly ripped all my books into shreds (the "Little Golden Books" so they were easy to rip). Then I was sad and cried because I liked my books, lol.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:12 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,150,157 times
I get on Politics and Other Controversies and post.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:41 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I did that once as a child, maybe 5 or 6. My mom sent me to my room, where I promptly ripped all my books into shreds (the "Little Golden Books" so they were easy to rip). Then I was sad and cried because I liked my books, lol.
Oh, the Little Golden Books! I loved those! Well, kids break a lot of toys, don't they. My parents were strict, so we weren't allowed to show anger. Our toys were only things like Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs---you can't really break those, hah.

I guess that repressive childhood is all coming out now, lol!

Old 07-17-2021, 11:55 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Oh, the Little Golden Books! I loved those! Well, kids break a lot of toys, don't they. My parents were strict, so we weren't allowed to show anger. Our toys were only things like Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs---you can't really break those, hah.

I guess that repressive childhood is all coming out now, lol!
Yes both of those are pretty indestructible, lol.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:58 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
I seethe quietly, plot revenge, then do some deep breathing and meditation and get over it quickly.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:09 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
I just take a deep breath and say "Serenity Now".....

Works like a charm, see....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow_9MglZrhs

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology