Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 10:25 AM

7,154 posts, read 12,711,854 times

Advertisements

Do you struggle to maintain your peace and mind and joy of living?

My husband keeps current on current affairs. I like that he does that. Me, I am having difficulty with the news of the day--right now, Covid cases climbing; people dying, very ill.

Constant desperate weather events--fires, floods, heat waves, etc. due to Climate Change (or not, depending on your personal viewpoint) and the report it's getting worse rapidly --

And the developing situation in the Middle East with the Taliban.

The Big Three.

My husband likes to keep me informed.

I'm struggling with keeping a positive outlook.

And even if my husband didn't want to discuss these with me, it's quite impossible to avoid the news--not that I want to be an ostrich, but I find my psychological well-being plummets when I focus too much on situations beyond my personal control.

Anyone else struggling with your mental well-being these days???

How do you deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 10:30 AM

8,235 posts, read 3,440,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

My husband keeps current on current affairs. I like that he does that. Me, I am having difficulty with the news of the day--right now, Covid cases climbing; people dying, very ill.

Constant desperate weather events--fires, floods, heat waves, etc. due to Climate Change (or not, depending on your personal viewpoint) and the report it's getting worse rapidly --

The Big Three.

And even if my husband didn't want to discuss these with me, it's quite impossible to avoid the news--not that I want to be an ostrich, but I find my psychological well-being plummets when I focus too much on situations beyond my personal control.

How do you deal with it?
Bad news is nothing new. There has always been something in the news to worry about. It never bothered me much then and it doesn't bother me now. Well one advantage is I didn't have a TV for most of my life. I do pay attention to the new though, but I am not getting the constant mainstream news hysteria. I only follow the news that interests me for some reason. I do follow covid, but I try to look at more than one side.

If you want peace of mind, ditch the TV. Better to get off of social media also, if you still feel stressed. Social media doesn't bother me at all, and I limit how much time I spend on it.

Old 08-15-2021, 03:39 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,023,253 times
I never watch the TV news. I used to, but found it was making me anxious. I believe TV news is designed to keep people worried and upset. I've never found a reason to change that assessment.

Old 08-15-2021, 03:47 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,979,864 times
Tell your husband you don't want to discuss politics or disturbing news. You don't need a positive attitude. You need a realistic and accepting one. Just realize whatever you hear, that's the way the world is, but it's not the only way. Good things are just as true as the bad ones. An old reporter saying is "If it bleeds, it leads".
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

The Big Three.

How do you deal with it?

Old 08-15-2021, 03:52 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,600,795 times
OP, while many people are upset and lack some peace of mind because of loneliness, lack of emotional support, and lack of companionship - you on the other hand, have a devoted husband who enjoys talking with you and provides companionship and perhaps, love.

So look at it that way. Your life has things that can bring some peace of mind - which many others would be happy to find.

And you need not focus on events and turmoil in the world. It can be placed on the periphery of your other satisfactory emotional world of a devoted husband who enjoys talking with you, provides companionship, and perhaps, love, and emotional support.

I think it's very important to know what is going on in the world, and I would never suggest that anyone turn away from news on TV. (unless it's Fox News which has no validity and misleads terribly daily) Team your knowledge with the written word.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:25 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,365,584 times
It’s hard for anyone- much less highly sensitive people - to not be adversely affected by a constant stream of negative news, whether it be global or local.

Share the thoughts you’ve expressed here with your husband, so that he shares just enough to keep you informed without unduly expounding on it. Or ask him to stop altogether and control your own ability to gather news at a level tolerable to you.

I find I get the gist of world news and local events from a quick perusal of a couple of websites, coupled with the news summaries from some radio programs. It provides me with a good overview of what’s happening without bogging me down in unnecessary emotional turmoil or (partisan) agendas.

And try to get outside for fresh air in nature regularly to clear your mind and ‘cleanse’ your emotions. A constant stream of negative news, especially from distant global events, burdens us with a sense of helplessness because it is beyond our control to ‘fix’.

That sense of helplessness can lead to feelings of hopelessness, despair and depression. So best to counteract it by engaging in positive activities we can control. Try gardening or volunteering with the local parks or other community activities. Those things will counteract the negativities and provide you with concrete positives. And when possible: Think globally, act locally.

Last edited by mingna; 08-17-2021 at 05:55 AM..

Old 08-17-2021, 06:45 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,069,751 times
Our minds and psyche were never designed to handle the troubles of the world. Our nuclear, immediate group of friends and our village is the breadth and scope of what most people are designed to handle. In addition, news is over exaggerated/sensationalized to attract viewer attention to attract viewers/boost ratings/sell products.

Smart phones allow 24/7 access to people along with techno-shamers who will say "you didn't have your phone with you, who does that"... "LOL, you don't know how to use a smart phone yet, what's wrong with you?"....

I dealt with it by pulling the plug on Television for years (although I now have Netflix), purposefully NOT linking my email to my phone so folks have to send to desktop, etc. I also don't listen to or watch the news much.

In short, I make a conscious choice of when and where television/news/people have access to my mind and attention and I can customize and filter people and content....

Old 08-17-2021, 06:46 AM

12,102 posts, read 8,491,552 times
I find some comfort in acknowledging that I AM helpless to fix the world. It is neither within my power nor is my responsibility. On a good day I do have some power to create a secure and peaceful environment for me and the people I share space with.

And I also have a degree of power over the way I think and feel. So I try to keep my goals simple ones where I can feel I've had a positive effect on my little world. Even if it's just one thing a day, that is an accomplishment.

I plan plans but not outcomes. I look for the positives in seemingly negative situations. I recognize that adjustment and not control is the gentle way. After seven decades of living I recognize even the most miserable of situations have a way of resolving over time. Sometimes in surprising ways.

And really I just absolutely refuse to harbor thoughts of desperation. They are poison for me. Who wants to take poison?

Over the last ten years I continue to limit my global information to small, manageable pieces.

These are some methods that have helped me live with the uncertainty and chaos.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:28 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,365,584 times
I’ll be the first to say ignorance of local and global events was bliss - until my ignorance led me to be blindsided by harmful situations I could have avoided had I been more aware of impending events.

In today’s shrunken world, it is important to know what’s happening outside of our immediate circle so we can avoid being adversely blindsided. Because unfortunately what happens ‘out there’ can impact what happens in our immediate circle (terrorism and other crimes, pandemics, economic issues), so best to be prepared and proactive.

Best to find a way to know enough of the pertinent information without being poisoned by today’s 24/7, sensationalistic and often toxic news outlets.

Old 08-17-2021, 10:54 AM

7,154 posts, read 12,711,854 times
I'm appreciating and welcoming the wise thoughts and actions you all have posted here...it's comforting--and actionable...you're the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology