Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 10:00 AM

29,785 posts, read 34,590,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I've often wondered this about the British devotion to the royal family. What on earth does it get them but more taxes to support that lavish lifestyle? What do they---the little people---get out of all the pomp?

Then again, Americans have the Kardashians which is just inexplicable, from my POV.

But yeah, even on these forums we have the "little guys" bravely and unstintingly supporting the billionaires and corporations, far more than the working stiffs. Cannot understand it either!
I'm still not quite sure what the OP was getting at in the first post, but this makes more sense to me. I was skimming through the thread here on CD about Bob Saget's death, thinking that it was going to be people talking about what a tragedy it was, etc. I was floored to see the mental gymnastics some posters were going into to make the situation into a conspiracy. And to what end? A b-list celebrity died, the medical examiner released a report. Who would be benefitting from this coverup, and why do these people who have no connection or first hand knowledge whatsoever care so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 10:06 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,127,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm still not quite sure what the OP was getting at in the first post, but this makes more sense to me. I was skimming through the thread here on CD about Bob Saget's death, thinking that it was going to be people talking about what a tragedy it was, etc. I was floored to see the mental gymnastics some posters were going into to make the situation into a conspiracy. And to what end? A b-list celebrity died, the medical examiner released a report. Who is benefitting from this coverup, and why do these people who have no connection or first hand knowledge whatsoever care so much?
Good points. I was attempting to be vague as to not point fingers in any particular direction. I didn't want to set off a firestorm, and obviously that was at the expense of clarity.

Old 02-21-2022, 10:30 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,552,809 times
I'm thinking a false sense of safety along in addition to what others have said. The devotion is so fierce and irrational in some cases that it seems to come from a place pretty low on the hierarchy of needs pyramid.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:10 AM

10,976 posts, read 7,524,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Good points. I was attempting to be vague as to not point fingers in any particular direction. I didn't want to set off a firestorm, and obviously that was at the expense of clarity.
I assumed you were tip toeing around politics, but this sort of thing can happen in many situations. Perhaps next time look for one that can be clearly explained without insulting anyone. For example, "Some people have strong brand allegiance," instead of "Some people only like Birdseye."

And yes, I am deliberately insulting all you Birdseye lovers out there. REAL frozen veggie lovers only eat Green Giant products. : )

Old 02-21-2022, 11:31 AM

19,820 posts, read 12,371,362 times
I know a woman who shills for criminals. Despite being victimzed herself, always standing up for them and defending them. It's almost like a fetish.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:06 PM

700 posts, read 452,363 times
I'm not sure the word "shill" is being used correctly in this discussion.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I assumed you were tip toeing around politics, but this sort of thing can happen in many situations. Perhaps next time look for one that can be clearly explained without insulting anyone. For example, "Some people have strong brand allegiance," instead of "Some people only like Birdseye."

And yes, I am deliberately insulting all you Birdseye lovers out there. REAL frozen veggie lovers only eat Green Giant products. : )
Doesn't even have to be politics. One could argue that supporting a certain figure or platform is promoting an ideology or policies that either directly or indirectly benefits you.

But let's take social media, and maybe more specifically Facebook. Let's say you're well aware of the fact that Facebook has compiled and used user data and habits to manipulate their future behaviors in a way that has been destructive to the fabric of society. Let's say you're aware of the detrimental effects that such platforms have had on the mental well being of its users, particularly children, based on various research conducted by FB itself.

Let's say you know these things to be true, and yet you still participate on the platform. And let's say it goes even further in that you will vehemently defend FB if anyone denounces it or criticizes it. You are not a stakeholder in FB, therefore there is no monetary gain from its success. It's just a platform that you take part in, for one reason or another.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:20 PM

16,204 posts, read 7,169,498 times
if a white person supports the cause of Black Lives Matter “shilling”?

Old 02-21-2022, 12:23 PM

19,820 posts, read 12,371,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
if a white person supports the cause of Black Lives Matter “shilling”?
Are they pushing and trying to sell everyone on it, and are they personally gaining something from that?

Old 02-21-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Are they pushing and trying to sell everyone on it, and are they personally gaining something from that?
In reference to the bolded,

No matter what the cause, that's the ambiguity I'm trying to understand. For instance, a white person might advocate for BLM because they believe it's the morally correct thing to do. So maybe it makes themselves feel better, but it's not something they are directly gaining from. I can understand shilling for that.

It's the shilling on behalf of the thing, idea, cause, etc., that seemingly provide little to no benefit to the one who is shilling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology