Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 12:48 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Are they pushing and trying to sell everyone on it, and are they personally gaining something from that?
They are pushing and selling everyone on it by showing up at public demonstration, educating themselves and others about racial disparity and how it affects Black Lives, and why equality matters. They are absolutely gaining something because discrimination and racial hate causes injury to all of us socially and economically, not to mention morally and spiritually.

So, is this "shilling"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 12:52 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
In reference to the bolded,

No matter what the cause, that's the ambiguity I'm trying to understand. For instance, a white person might advocate for BLM because they believe it's the morally correct thing to do. So maybe it makes themselves feel better, but it's not something they are directly gaining from. I can understand shilling for that.

It's the shilling on behalf of the thing, idea, cause, etc., that seemingly provide little to no benefit to the one who is shilling.
Is there a way to objectively measure the benefit? What if the person believes her "shilling" activity benefits her children by being an example example, make them better, thoughtful, adults.

Old 02-21-2022, 01:00 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,115,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Is there a way to objectively measure the benefit? What if the person believes her "shilling" activity benefits her children by being an example example, make them better, thoughtful, adults.
I suppose this would require some amount of introspection from that person. If, for instance, I asked you, "Hey, why do you even support this cause? What do you get out of it?", the person would have to do some thinking on that if they already haven't. I don't know that there is an objective or quantifiable measurement though.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:07 PM

9,445 posts, read 5,208,974 times
Quote:
One has to be careful as to what they say as to not stir up the hornet's nest.

Thank you!
This is why we are in the current predicament.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Frederick Douglas

Old 02-21-2022, 04:14 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
Quote:
But let's take social media, and maybe more specifically Facebook. Let's say you're well aware of the fact that Facebook has compiled and used user data and habits to manipulate their future behaviors in a way that has been destructive to the fabric of society. Let's say you're aware of the detrimental effects that such platforms have had on the mental well being of its users, particularly children, based on various research conducted by FB itself.

Let's say you know these things to be true, and yet you still participate on the platform. And let's say it goes even further in that you will vehemently defend FB if anyone denounces it or criticizes it. You are not a stakeholder in FB, therefore there is no monetary gain from its success. It's just a platform that you take part in, for one reason or another.
OK just to pick this apart a bit. In the first part of this analogy, you posit that this person "is aware of the fact" that FB is doing all these heinous things. But how would you know exactly what they know? That assumes a lot of knowledge about what's in someone else's head. Maybe they are skeptical of these "facts." And if they believe the facts, they can rationalize that because they are not a parent or a child, FB's dark side doesn't impact them or someone they love. So being "aware" doesn't have the behavior-changing impact it might have on you.

Now the second part. Maybe the benefit they get from FB vastly outweighs all the above, and they have had very positive and life-enhancing experiences with the platform. Maybe they are in some FB groups that are fueling a hobby or social circle. Maybe its the only way to consistently keep up with far off friends and family. Maybe they use their own posts as a way to document their lives over the years.

So in short, you can't really know why people do what they do. Sometimes there is sound logic that you can't see.

Now to what I think is the crux of your OP. Why "shill" at all? I think some posters have come close to an explanation...it may be about wanting to be the "good and special" one. Someone who shares something they like with others, and is lauded somehow for it. Think about what you're thinking and feeling when recommending a book or TV series to someone and they end up digging it. It feels good...and there is an evolutionary reason for it.

Why do we care? Why is it important that people we like like what we like?

That's ancient human behavior. Tribalism.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:16 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
--Edmund Burke

Old 02-21-2022, 04:24 PM

9,445 posts, read 5,208,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
--Edmund Burke
OOps...you are correct.

Old 02-22-2022, 06:53 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,115,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

So in short, you can't really know why people do what they do. Sometimes there is sound logic that you can't see.

Why do we care? Why is it important that people we like like what we like?

That's ancient human behavior. Tribalism.
Do you think a lack of self-awareness plays into it? Is it selfishness? I'm guessing it falls somewhere within Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

To the point of the poster who posted the Burke quote, when you are aware that the platform is causing greater harm than good, wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest to stand up against it?

I think Hitler made a lot of people feel good about the future of Germany and German pride in general. But others saw through it, were leery, and even fought against it based on all the damage and harm they saw being done. I think we can look back on that time and make a strong case that the latter group was almost objectively right about their concerns and for resisting.

What separates those people from the people who are soaking up the "warm and fuzzies" for a quick fix of dopamine?

Old 02-22-2022, 07:32 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I've often wondered this about the British devotion to the royal family. What on earth does it get them but more taxes to support that lavish lifestyle? What do they---the little people---get out of all the pomp?

Then again, Americans have the Kardashians which is just inexplicable, from my POV.

But yeah, even on these forums we have the "little guys" bravely and unstintingly supporting the billionaires and corporations, far more than the working stiffs. Cannot understand it either!

Some skewed perception of "reflected glory" I guess, even though that "royal" figure would not give any of us the time of day.

"It's my tribe", my neighbor exclaimed, when we were discussing this very situation. No thought required.
I watched the saddest program on TV covering servants of the Royal Family who were now in a retirement home watching old videos of Prince Charles, etc. at holidays (birthdays, Christmas, etc.) fondly recalling remembering they were the one who wrapped that gift, tied that bow on the box, etc.

They had led an entire life of servitude, many foregoing families of their own and this is how they were spending their final days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I know a woman who shills for criminals. Despite being victimized herself, always standing up for them and defending them. It's almost like a fetish.
^^^ Prime example of shill Stockholm Syndrome.

Branding is another element I don't understand. You can hike and ski in perfectly adequate gear, but the minute it is branded "Patagonia" or "Marmot", etc. you pay through the nose for the gear.

I remember a yard sale where the person had two racks of T-shirts, one rack had high quality unbranded shirts for 50 cents each, the other rack had "branded" shirts of lesser quality with different recognizable clothing company names (Timberland, Carhartt, etc.) for 5 dollars each....

Old 02-22-2022, 10:44 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
If you're referring to the inane shilling we are subjected too recently in many forums on CD, which has only become exponentially worse over this last year; the reason is that they actually believe in it. They don't know they are shills. There's a certain amount of narcissism involved, as their egos are continually stroked from winning the popularity contest. They can't admit they are wrong, even when the evidence is looking them square in the eye, because it's attached to their identity. The cognitive dissonance would be too painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology