Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 04:01 PM

11,281 posts, read 19,631,388 times

Advertisements

Someone who spends a lot of time and effort to double or triple the work and time of any task, their own, and everyone else's too. Is it a form of narcissism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 06:14 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,551,782 times
One trait of a narcissist from my basic understanding is wanting to be the best at everything. But that could also be the trait of someone with OCD or just someone who is a perfectionist. A lot of people try to diagnose people they know (especially when that person thinks they have been wronged) as a sociopath, sociopath or narcissist and most of the time, that person is wrong. Only a trained doctor can diagnose someone legitimately. Not even a random guy on the internet can do that.

So the correct way for me to answer your question would be "I don't know."

Old 03-06-2022, 01:14 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,681,584 times
Do you mean someone who INTENTIONALLY slows work down? Or are they just naturally slow?

"My friend" says her husband takes 3 times longer to do the simplest task, than it takes her. And he's the opposite of a narcissist. Some people are just slow, meticulous, methodical, hyper-focused or whatever.

Old 03-07-2022, 12:50 PM

5,690 posts, read 3,188,995 times
My mom used to tell me ALL the time, that if there was an easy way and a hard way to do something, I always seemed to pick the hard way.

I like to think I got better about that. lol

Old 03-07-2022, 02:35 PM

25,622 posts, read 17,364,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Someone who spends a lot of time and effort to double or triple the work and time of any task, their own, and everyone else's too. Is it a form of narcissism?
No. The person is a perfectionist. Contrary to popular beliefs, perfectionists get very little done.
Quote:
The problem with perfectionism—and the reason you'll want to know if you possess any perfectionistic traits—is that perfectionists actually tend to achieve less and stress more than regular high achievers.

Being a perfectionist makes it more challenging to meet the goal of being perfect, or even of reaching a personal best.

Unhealthy perfectionism is characterized by an excessive focus on control. People may become extremely picky and preoccupied with making sure that everything is flawless, which can lead to attempts to control situations or people. This can contribute to stress and take take a toll on interpersonal relationships.
https://www.verywellmind.com/signs-y...ionist-3145233

Old 03-07-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
No. The person is a perfectionist. Contrary to popular beliefs, perfectionists get very little done.

https://www.verywellmind.com/signs-y...ionist-3145233

I do feel that a lot of what she does when creating all this wasted time is done to draw attention to herself, which is why I wondered about narcissism.

Old 03-07-2022, 04:58 PM

20,089 posts, read 13,542,799 times
Quote:

I do feel that a lot of what she does when creating all this wasted time is done to draw attention to herself, which is why I wondered about narcissism.
In my experience, perfectionists tend not to draw attention to themselves. They suffer in silence. So you may well be right, that this is a form of narcissism in this particular instance.

Old 03-07-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
In my experience, perfectionists tend not to draw attention to themselves. They suffer in silence. So you may well be right, that this is a form of narcissism in this particular instance.

She most definitely does not suffer in silence. She has the martyr act down to a t.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:00 PM

25,622 posts, read 17,364,311 times
Quote:
She most definitely does not suffer in silence. She has the martyr act down to a t.
I knew someone once who was like that. I told her (we were very good friends) that I thought she was a bit like an actor with a rubber snake, the way she rolled around on the ground screaming, "It's got me! It's got me!", and all the time she was doing it all.
Our friendship survived that little bit of honesty on my part, but I don't think many would.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:39 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,680,188 times
There are a couple of ways to think about this situation. If you were asking about yourself, I would say you should seek therapy for help with this problem. Since the problem is someone else, I think the approach is probably to find a functional way to either accommodate or avoid this person's delaying and seemingly dysfunctional behavior.

In either case, finding a name for the condition seems like the least of your worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology