Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 01:51 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,024,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I do remember that. I remember a few tense times, invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968 was pretty tense and very similar to this current situation. There have been a few close calls with NORAD glitches, etc in the late 70s and early 80s. In Vietnam, American air crews were often in combat with Russian air crews, or dodging Russian manned SAM sites. Today is NOTHING like during that cold war period thank God, and now Russia although nuclear armed is a shadow of it's former self. In 1985 there were an amazing and horrifying 70,000 nuclear armed warheads in the world, now there are about 12,000.

We mentioned the prepper culture. CityData has the prepper forum and I get a laugh sometimes when I visit that forum but then again I respect the independence that they have.

Soviet then, Russia now. Let's keep our identifiers straight to who is who. Otherwise, you may end up getting an earful like Francis Gary Powers did when he called his cellmate Russian......he was Georgian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 01:58 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,913,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Soviet then, Russia now. Let's keep our identifiers straight to who is who. Otherwise, you may end up getting an earful like Francis Gary Powers did when he called his cellmate Russian......he was Georgian.
Ha. Tell Director Norman Jewison to change the title of his 1966 Cold War comedy "The Russians are coming, The Russians are coming". It was actually shown in the Kremlin during that time and well received.

Old 03-07-2022, 02:02 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,024,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Ha. Tell Director Norman Jewison to change the title of his 1966 comedy "The Russians are coming, The Russians are coming". It was actually shown in the Kremlin during that time and well received.

Well, I am sure you have been through some kind of counter interrogation training as well as I have at some point. Let us not make the mistake of using popular culture terms in such a serious situation.

Old 03-07-2022, 02:28 PM

1,483 posts, read 685,850 times
Quote:
I watch that flick from time to time. What scared me the most about it? How the Brit government turned totalitarian before the bombs, well MIRVs, dropped.

Just for a bit of perspective, if I recall correctly, Threads was about a Shah's Iran, not the current country. The Day After and On the Beach (2000) were over Taiwan. On the Beach (1959), movie wise, was "accidental" in that for the "system" that had been built, we lost control of it in interpreting an attack and responding, theoretically. That is, in the movie, they didn't really know how it started. In the book, a country flying Soviet export bombers, maybe Il-28 Beagles, bombed the US, the aircraft were mis id'd as Soviet, the war started, and by the time the mistake was found, it was too late. Ie, "MY GOD, you mean we bombed the Soviet Union by mistake?".

As far as Trinity's Child (book), By Dawn's Early Light (movie), I'll leave that one aside for now.

Otherwise, the current situation does not bug me. The affairs of the Cold War bugged me more. The government bugs me more but the prospect that the world is about to be buried under fall out ash?

NAW!

If it is, C'est la vie.......but I think enough heads around the world, even in his own military, see this as the actions of one man and if the order came down to them, they will not obey. If some missiles fly, I don't the world will respond like the missile maps in Wargames (1983).
Yes, 'Threads' was over Iran whereas 'The Day After' was over the Soviets invading West Germany. The 'trigger' in that film was the US airbursting tactical nuclear weapons over advancing Soviet troops in West Germany.

BTW, another excellent 'nuke' film is 'Testament'. From the 'human' perspective, not the 'military' and 'science' perspectives.

Old 03-07-2022, 02:29 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,913,959 times
Quote:
Well, I am sure you have been through some kind of counter interrogation training as well as I have at some point. Let us not make the mistake of using popular culture terms in such a serious situation.
Humor is a good anxiety coping mechanism however, which really is the entire theme of this thread - how to cope with handling the possibility of disaster (even if the possibility is remote).

Old 03-07-2022, 03:44 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,661,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEN2RION View Post
The first was in 1962 with the Cuban Missile Crises. I remember the drills exercises we had to do in class and remember how scary a time that really was: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Missile_Crisis
With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, it is quite humorous that supposedly a hardcover version of Charlotte's Web, held over our heads while under a desk, was supposed to help protect us against a nuclear detonation. I think it was a bit like the old task of the husband to go boil water when the wife went in to labor - it gave him something to do and kept him away from interfering with the real action. I suspect "duck and cover" as a drill for kids was designed to help make the housewives feel better that the school was "doing something."

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 03-07-2022 at 04:35 PM..

Old 03-08-2022, 01:49 AM

7,651 posts, read 3,284,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, it is quite humorous that supposedly a hardcover version of Charlotte's Web, held over our heads while under a desk, was supposed to help protect us against a nuclear detonation. I think it was a bit like the old task of the husband to go boil water when the wife went in to labor - it gave him something to do and kept him away from interfering with the real action. I suspect "duck and cover" as a drill for kids was designed to help make the housewives feel better that the school was "doing something."

But, here I am at 60 (having been under my desk in the 60's because of the Russians) and I feel they go their point across to me because I sit here thinking (the F'n Russians and having no doubt they are the enemy). I would maybe be confused if I wasn't under my desk at 5.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:13 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,352,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
Yes, 'Threads' was over Iran whereas 'The Day After' was over the Soviets invading West Germany. The 'trigger' in that film was the US airbursting tactical nuclear weapons over advancing Soviet troops in West Germany.

BTW, another excellent 'nuke' film is 'Testament'. From the 'human' perspective, not the 'military' and 'science' perspectives.
I agree about "Testament". As scary as it was to think about, my experience of the film was more heartbreaking than in your face scary.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:38 PM

9,902 posts, read 4,666,395 times
Lived through the first Cold War and there were numerous incidents. I'm sure MADD mutually assured destruction is still in play. Sometimes life is not all about fun & games and ones routine which leads to a satisfactory emotional state. I'm more worried about death by a thousand cuts like slowly going broke paying these higher prices for alot of stuff.

Old 03-09-2022, 06:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times
I lived in Germany about FOUR YEARS after Chernobyl - in the southern part of Germany so far, far away from Chernobyl. But even then, four years later, after just an accident (not an attack), we were warned regularly not to buy or eat certain produce because of the way the wind was blowing when the produce was at a certain stage - it had been exposed to nuclear waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology