Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 08:34 AM

20,037 posts, read 13,501,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Lived through the first Cold War and there were numerous incidents. I'm sure MADD mutually assured destruction is still in play. Sometimes life is not all about fun & games and ones routine which leads to a satisfactory emotional state. I'm more worried about death by a thousand cuts like slowly going broke paying these higher prices for alot of stuff.
Well I was concerned about death by a thousand cuts already, and now death by a big hammer on top of it.

It is possible that I was not paying sufficient attention during previous crises but this one does feel substantively different to me.

Still, it comes down to "how is this actionable? Is mere worry helping?" and the answer is no, it's not helping, and it's almost totally not actionable in any way that would help me personally or even really others.

All I am on about is understanding more clearly what the different scenarios entail so that if they arrive, they will not take me completely by surprise.

Ignoring whether Russia's claimed hypersonic delivery vehicle is ready enough for prime time to make an overall difference, there will be maybe 10 minutes (sub launched) to 30 minutes (land launched) warning and perhaps that is for the best. In that scenario if there's time to bundle the family into a car and get a few miles out from our small city Just In Case, I might do that, but in all probability, there are no targets close to us and it will be mostly a matter of radiation, civil collapse, nuclear winter and shortages after that.

Not a real rosy picture, and I ultimately agree with those who choose not to consider it beyond that. If it comes, it comes. If it doesn't, so much the better.

There are political questions relating to this that are outside the purview of this forum, and in the past couple of years I've come to the conclusion that politics is so rigged, corrupt and gridlocked, in most countries and parties, that this, too, is just another waste of time apart from any entertainment value in the debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 10:24 AM

7,630 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well I was concerned about death by a thousand cuts already, and now death by a big hammer on top of it.

It is possible that I was not paying sufficient attention during previous crises but this one does feel substantively different to me.

Still, it comes down to "how is this actionable? Is mere worry helping?" and the answer is no, it's not helping, and it's almost totally not actionable in any way that would help me personally or even really others.

All I am on about is understanding more clearly what the different scenarios entail so that if they arrive, they will not take me completely by surprise.

Ignoring whether Russia's claimed hypersonic delivery vehicle is ready enough for prime time to make an overall difference, there will be maybe 10 minutes (sub launched) to 30 minutes (land launched) warning and perhaps that is for the best. In that scenario if there's time to bundle the family into a car and get a few miles out from our small city Just In Case, I might do that, but in all probability, there are no targets close to us and it will be mostly a matter of radiation, civil collapse, nuclear winter and shortages after that.

Not a real rosy picture, and I ultimately agree with those who choose not to consider it beyond that. If it comes, it comes. If it doesn't, so much the better.

There are political questions relating to this that are outside the purview of this forum, and in the past couple of years I've come to the conclusion that politics is so rigged, corrupt and gridlocked, in most countries and parties, that this, too, is just another waste of time apart from any entertainment value in the debate.

No time to build an underground bunker with 4 inch steel, 2 feet of concrete and oxygen system. Who wants to survive if most others don't. You'd be obliged to treat all the injured and sick (not easy) and what kind of lifestyle would be left (I guess unless you are really out of the path, but, still)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UKN...C1FAMx&index=7

Old 03-10-2022, 06:31 AM

20,037 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
No time to build an underground bunker with 4 inch steel, 2 feet of concrete and oxygen system. Who wants to survive if most others don't. You'd be obliged to treat all the injured and sick (not easy) and what kind of lifestyle would be left (I guess unless you are really out of the path, but, still)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UKN...C1FAMx&index=7
Yeah now is not the time to start being any sort of "prepper"; it's too late for that. All the suppliers of even very basic post-apocalypse things like potassium iodide pills and gieger counters are sold out already.

And you're right, how badly to I want to survive something like that anyway? Just the collapse of government alone will bring out the very worst dog-eat-dog impulses in people. You wouldn't be able to enjoy even a last walk in nature or a backyard barbecue, likely.

I will say though, I've read that the Swiss have enough bunkers for their entire population. Many people have private ones, but there are large ones in cities holding up to 20,000 people. I guess when you think of it, they are not militarized and are openly neutral, that would be their only defense against the ultimate outside assault.

Last edited by mordant; 03-10-2022 at 07:17 AM..

Old 03-10-2022, 12:13 PM

12,052 posts, read 8,436,379 times
I'm in Mexico on vacation for a month and haven't given it much attention other than to hope it doesn't mess with my R&R like Covid did. Not much I can do about it until it comes knocking at my door so might as well enjoy the money I've invested.

DH retired from Emergency Management so we're about as prepared as we need to be. Unspeakable thoughts about having to protect that.

I did say to a woman from London last night I didn't expect to have to go through this similarity of events in my life again. That's how it is. We will do what we've always done - putting one foot in front of the other with as much common sense and hope as we can muster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology