Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 12:14 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I used the term "crotchety" half-jokingly, since many of us here are older, although irritability is in fact a symptom of chronic mild depression (or dysthymia or what is most recently called high-functioning depression), which is also thought to be "biological." I have a history of both major and "minor" depression, although it was technically a major in Depression with a minor in Anxiety.

What I'm referring to is more of a plain world-weariness. You're here, you're not actively suicidal, but you don't really want to be here. You are SAD... Maybe about something in particular, but also about everything in general. In my case, I already have a strong sense of having "been there, done that," the best is behind me, and I am over it (life) and ready to move on (I believe in the next life), but I also won't hurry it, as I also believe it's not my place to do so. The days will pass. Maybe more happily, maybe not, but inevitably.

The "dis-" words apply: disappointed, discouraged, disheartened, dispirited, etc.

I don't believe I "chose" that. I believe the combination of my life experiences and inborn temperament/genetic predisposition (depression runs on both sides of the family) have led me here. It hasn't always been this way. At certain periods and for long periods of my life, I was downright content and happy; even cheerful! It's my personal feeling that aging has a lot to do with it. At any rate, I'm taking what steps I can to overcome it and can only HOPE it's temporary...

But it's not, that's life! Historically speaking, the universal expectation that it would or should be undilutedly HAPPY is a relatively recent -- and unrealistic -- one.
You explained it very well, Otter! that is exactly how I feel. BTDT kind of just "over it". Feeling that there's not much to look forward to, and aging has everything to do with that. Might get better, but might not, at this point. Not on any meds, but like you, "doing what I can" to combat it. Yes, to all those "dis" words!

Depression is prevalent in my family too and life experiences have made me cynical. Just do what we can...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 04:20 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
They're handing out SSRIs for everything now -- even hang-nails, I hear! Definitely Big Pharma-driven.

Hormone replacement is pretty straightforward: they're depleted, you replenish them. That's shameful.
Can you give some stats on this? If you're using hyperbole it doesn't befit you trying to make a reasonable case. Either back it up or ....back it out?

If you think it's easy for women to get HRT - you don't know anything about it. Men can get pretty much whatever they need with just a wink and "hey doc, I put on a couple pounds and I'm just not feelin' the ladies these days...ya got somethin' for me?" Oh, but I suppose that's big Pharma too and you don't approve of it?

Old 04-02-2022, 04:26 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
I know plenty of women, myself included, who have managed to get prescriptions for HRT. The obvious cure for debilitating symptoms of menopause is to replace what the absence of which is causing said symptoms. Seems logical to me? Granted, not every women experiences them, so an Rx wouldn't necessarily be warranted in their cases; it would also be contraindicated in other cases due to a particular woman's medical history, but - again - lots of women are taking it. By what mechanism would an antidepressant stop hot flashes due to a hormonal imbalance (can you produce studies on that?), or do they just make you not care that you're having them? Do I think Big Pharma is out to make big profits and is not a humanitarian enterprise? Yes. I'm especially skeptical of SSRIs being prescribed to everyone for every ill known to man, as I said above. And yes, that might be somewhat hyperbolic, but you get the point. And if you hold another view, as always, it's fine to agree to disagree about that.

Old 04-02-2022, 05:45 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
I know plenty of women, myself included, who have managed to get prescriptions for HRT. The obvious cure for debilitating symptoms of menopause is to replace what the absence of which is causing said symptoms. Seems logical to me? Granted, not every women experiences them, so an Rx wouldn't necessarily be warranted in their cases; it would also be contraindicated in other cases due to a particular woman's medical history, but - again - lots of women are taking it. By what mechanism would an antidepressant stop hot flashes due to a hormonal imbalance (can you produce studies on that?), or do they just make you not care that you're having them? Do I think Big Pharma is out to make big profits and is not a humanitarian enterprise? Yes. I'm especially skeptical of SSRIs being prescribed to everyone for every ill known to man, as I said above. And yes, that might be somewhat hyperbolic, but you get the point. And if you hold another view, as always, it's fine to agree to disagree about that.
They say, that a side effect of trazodone, which is a serotonin-based med similar to SSRI's, is that it aids sleep. Also, women who have been estrogen dominant all their lives can't take "conventional" HRT, which involves estrogen supplementing. In fact, a lot of doctors were prescribing an estrogen-only product for a while, something new that Pharma dreamed up. Women who needed progesterone only were turned away, or given trazodone. Apparently that's still the case, according to the article I read.

Old 04-02-2022, 05:50 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The NY Times had an article recently, about how primary care doctors are giving their patients who are going through midlife hormonal changes anti-depressants for insomnia, instead of hormone replacement. That sounds like a Pharma industry-driven agenda.
Really? Because hormones come from Pharma too.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-02-2022, 05:53 PM

"Turned away" from whom or what? Everyone I know who takes HRT takes the traditional estrogen/progesterone combo.

But we digress...

Old 04-02-2022, 06:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
One question: what is a "mild" antidepressant???
I don't recall the name of it but I do recall looking it up and realizing just how mild it was. It was the minimum dosage of something.

Old 04-02-2022, 06:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I think it's great that your doctor took a very measured approach, with the idea of very short-term dosages that then she could check in with you if still necessary.

So a good example that there ARE doctors who don't just blindly prescribe something long-term in these situations.

Hopefully you continue to improve over time - it really hasn't been long in the entire timeline of losing a spouse - I think you're doing just great and that you're not feeling pressured to feel a certain way at a certain time.
Thank you - it's been a horrible journey actually but I had someone today tell me "You are such a naturally happy person," and you know what -I AM. So I am very grateful for that.

I feel stronger every day but I still struggle with some anxiety. But I do think it's situational and if it ever kept me awake at night (something I have zero patience with) I would definitely contact my doctor.

Old 04-02-2022, 06:48 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
There are many restrictions on who can use HRT (as you alluded) and even for those it is indicated for, often an age of 60 is a cutoff point according to a lot of research. Even though your hormones are STILL lacking after age 60, you don't get to take them indefinitely.

I never said antidepressants could be used for hot flashes....please. However, neither is it advised to use HRT to relieve depression in the absence of specific hormone-related menopausal symptons. The two medications are not interchangeable.

Andtidpressants are not prescribed for "hangnails" (part of your hyperbole). In fact, to have antidepressants covered by insurance certain guidelines need to be met.

Old 04-02-2022, 06:53 PM

Okay...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology