Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 01:40 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Nope. I was reacting to what I experienced myself with anti depressants (I know you're wrong as it can go very wrong with those meds and I'm not going into a long explanation -- you're just very wrong). I was also being protective of Otter (because she's not going to overdose or off herself).

Whatever happened to Celebs is an open book; why would I care?
Then I'm sorry you've had a tough time with anti-depressants. They have to be worked and there can be unpleasant periods. But I'll admit, someone who needs anti-anxiety and other meds with their anti-depressants, or someone who is close to institutionalization, those cases are above my pay grade. But I have helped many friends and family members decide if anti-Ds can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 01:56 PM

7,541 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Then I'm sorry you've had a tough time with anti-depressants. They have to be worked and there can be unpleasant periods. But I'll admit, someone who needs anti-anxiety and other meds with their anti-depressants, or someone who is close to institutionalization, those cases are above my pay grade. But I have helped many friends and family members decide if anti-Ds can help.
I'm not a total mental case or anything like that. I only take Asthma and Allergy meds. No drugs, no alcohol. Some anti depressants are horrible and I won't participate in an anti depressant circuit. No thanks.

Old 04-11-2022, 02:13 PM

1,250 posts, read 678,432 times
Quote:
Anti-depressants are relatively very safe. Doctors are prescribing them confidently for older people because the down side isn't bad. If a pill helps you cheer up and seize the day, it's probably worth taking so they feel.
Similarly, more are recommending caffeine.

Seems people who get into trouble from anti-depressants are mixing with too much alcohol and other drugs, and they aren't exercising and trying to give them a chance to work.

But I agree with the OP's premise that sometimes people are just going to be stuck on "crotchety," especially late in life.
Please quote your sources.

I have read just the opposite on Google Scholar (particularly about Black Box warnings, etc.)

Old 04-11-2022, 02:56 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Please quote your sources.

I have read just the opposite on Google Scholar (particularly about Black Box warnings, etc.)
Mayo Clinic
Harvard Health Review
National Institute of Mental Health and many more.

They'll all talk of relative safety with some risks like almost every medication.

Anti-depressants fail mostly when the patient refuses to work them correctly. If someone doesn't exercise, drinks alot, and keeps taking other drugs (cannabis can be OK), they are not being used correctly. And it is true that young people like this especially can become suicidal which is the point of the Black Box warning.

Old 04-11-2022, 02:59 PM

1,250 posts, read 678,432 times
Quote:
Mayo Clinic
Harvard Health Review

They'll all talk of relative safety with some risks like almost every medication.

Anti-depressants fail mostly when the patient refuses to work them correctly. If someone doesn't exercise, drinks alot, and keeps taking other drugs (cannabis can be OK), they are not being used correctly. And it is true that young people like this especially can become suicidal which is the point of the Black Box warning.
Haha.

No vested interests in any of those sources? They are all just paragons of virtue and science now! Totally objective (sarcasm, in case you don't know).

Old 04-11-2022, 03:03 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Mayo Clinic
Harvard Health Review

Meh. Different meds affect people differently. I was in the hospital with a bad reaction to antibiotics. I take a black box med with no side effects.

Everyone should be careful when starting a new med, you never know until you take it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-12-2022, 06:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Meh. Different meds affect people differently. I was in the hospital with a bad reaction to antibiotics. I take a black box med with no side effects.

Everyone should be careful when starting a new med, you never know until you take it.
Bingo. I took a Black Box medication (Cipro - a commonly prescribed antibiotic) thinking "I've never had any issue with any medication ever," and BAM - I got hit with not one, but two destroyed Achilles tendons! GOOD TIMES (not). Had to have them both surgically repaired and I'm just grateful they COULD be repaired and that I don't have neuropathy or some of the other side effects. AUGH. Months and months and months of recovery, painful PT, etc.

So yes, be very careful and just know that someone somewhere had those side effects and you might too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology