Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 09:23 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times

Advertisements

Staying off social media (by which I mean Fakebook and the Insta; not anonymous forums like this) for a few days helps immensely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2022, 07:59 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Staying off social media (by which I mean Fakebook and the Insta; not anonymous forums like this) for a few days helps immensely.
That's good if it works for you. For me, it makes me feel even more lonely. At least on Facebook, I am interacting with people.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Joe, are you and your sister able to use ride sharing services to meet up in person next time? Not having a car is far from the burden it once was.
Rideshare is difficult for me because it's hard to get a ride out in my rural area during the week. And then going there and back is expensive for both of us more than a few times a year.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:57 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
That's good if it works for you. For me, it makes me feel even more lonely. At least on Facebook, I am interacting with people.
I'm seeing pics and videos of happy couples and families enjoying the holiday together, which makes me feel worse. They're not "interacting with me"; just showing off in general... But different strokes!

Old 04-21-2022, 11:42 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Rideshare is difficult for me because it's hard to get a ride out in my rural area during the week. And then going there and back is expensive for both of us more than a few times a year.
Maybe this is an obvious suggestion, but I know you can book rideshares in advance (Lyft will lock in the price), and perhaps you could plan to visit your sister during a holiday, since you are already amenable to doing this a few times a year, as you said.

Old 04-21-2022, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 2,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Insert game show buzzer....nope. Dating past 50 is seen as desperate and pathetic in the gay male community, so there's little if any incentive there. The inviting part has been difficult with Covid and of course just as people are warming up to socializing there's talk of another variant and social distancing measures once again. I know, it doesn't seem optimistic...
Why is dating past 50 in the gay community considered pathetic? I have a gay friend who’s in his mid-40s and he’s still looking, not giving up. Granted, he’s not had much luck with online apps as he’s met some sketchy guys, from what he’s told me. We commiserate on our shared misery being looked upon as sad singletons, but he at least has support of his family while I’m the only living member of my family. Anyway, I totally get where you’re coming from, there are many people in their 40-50s who are experiencing loneliness, COVID-19 really opened people’s eyes and minds about the epidemic of loneliness.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:51 PM

7,354 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Many years ago, I made 150 Easter treat bags for homeless people. There were traditional Easter candies in prepackage individual servings. Little bags of jelly beans and chocolate mini eggs, etc. I brought the candies in big bags at Costco. I put a selection of candy into ziplock sandwich bags and tied the top with ribbon.

I dropped them off at a local church which was thrilled to get it!

This year, I sent my twenty-something year old kids Easter baskets in the mail. It made me feel closer to them and less lonely. They loved it. I'm not sure when this will stop. I might go back to the homeless treat bags next year.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:56 PM

25,448 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
We are very rural. A friend of ours remarked the other day that we don't have Uber, we have Goober. I thought that was funny.

Old 04-21-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Maybe this is an obvious suggestion, but I know you can book rideshares in advance (Lyft will lock in the price), and perhaps you could plan to visit your sister during a holiday, since you are already amenable to doing this a few times a year, as you said.
You know.... we should have thought about that. We both use rideshare, but she does more than me living in the heart of Columbia. I am actually in a rural area outside of Columbia. (People confuse the town I am in with another in North Carolina, so I use Columbia as my location. Maybe I should change it.) We both had birthdays recently. Maybe I will suggest a date together together to celebrate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
We are very rural. A friend of ours remarked the other day that we don't have Uber, we have Goober. I thought that was funny.
That's funny. I like that! Thanks for the laugh.

Old 04-24-2022, 01:56 AM

720 posts, read 429,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Insert game show buzzer....nope. Dating past 50 is seen as desperate and pathetic in the gay male community, so there's little if any incentive there. The inviting part has been difficult with Covid and of course just as people are warming up to socializing there's talk of another variant and social distancing measures once again. I know, it doesn't seem optimistic...
Dating past 50 is not seen as desperate and pathetic in the gay male community.
You just have had bad experiences. I know many gay people who dont think that way. I for one, don't.

Don't focus on those negative opinions. Whoever thinks that way is bound for failure one way or another.

You said you have supposed friends. how come you call them supposed? Do you meet often outside of holidays? Do you feel like you can express yourself to them?

Maybe it would be nice to go out and meet someone new. And if you feel like that's difficult, I'm sure there are a lot of places where people go with the sole purpose of meeting new people. I remember there was a website called meetup or something.

I think you're a bit low on self-confidence to be perfectly honest. It's been a rough couple of years for everyone, and especially for singles and people who don't have a lot of friends I can understand it's even harder. But cheer up and try to take care of yourself and do things you enjoy. Once you start feeling more relaxed I think it's gonna work out for you.

And you know, sometimes you have to be direct with the things you want. Telling a supposed friend that you like his/her company and saying you'd like to go out more is also fine. Maybe youll get rejected - but hey - maybe you won't! It's that hope that keep us going

Have fun Kyle and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology