Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 11:32 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,464,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I think this is how most normal people feel and would react. But this isn't good enough anymore. You have to be pro all of it or you are a homophobe.

As Elon Musk said, they moved. We didn't. I don't have any problem with gay. I have a problem with ruining kid's lives to further an agenda.
Your implication here is that gays and lesbians aren't "normal."

Old 05-11-2022, 11:36 AM

22,043 posts, read 13,063,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Puberty blockers permanently damage bones.
That's not all. Brains don't properly mature when puberty is bypassed.

Old 05-11-2022, 12:13 PM

10,918 posts, read 7,437,405 times
The Mayo Clinic has a page on puberty blockers:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/art-20459075

They say,
Possible side effects of GnRH analogue treatment include:
Injection site swelling
Weight gain
Hot flashes
Headaches

Use of GnRH analogues might also have long-term effects on:
Growth spurts
Bone growth and density
Future fertility — depending on when pubertal blockers are started

Old 05-11-2022, 12:47 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,722,379 times
Once again...

That's not what this thread was about.

I stand by my assertion that common sense laws should be aimed to prevent permanent effects. Many states don't let minors get tattoos, either. Even if removal procedures exist, it's still too permanent an act.

Where precisely that line is drawn, I leave to the medical industry, scientists and experts, to debate and sort out. Let them settle the facts and make them public and advise the writing of legislation, and for crying out loud could we get legislatures to present the rationale for their laws in logical and scientific terms rather than appealing to tribalism or religion? But you know who these details and best practices and laws should NOT be left up to? Every bozo with an internet connection, Google, and an opinion. That means not only some of ya'll, but it also means me.

But. I ask you again...what does this have to do, exactly, with the OP complaining about more lesbian behavior afoot than they think is "normal"...whatever that means...? Frankly I think a lot of this, aside from the general outrage-mongering that saturates America and especially the internet, there's always been something of a struggle between Americans who want to be able to enforce social conformity, and those who want people to have more freedom to be different.

How many generations saw the kids' flouting of convention as the denigration of society as we know it? I mean for real, you'd think that we'd catch on by now.

Some kids are gay.
Some kids are bi.
Some kids don't know for sure but want to explore their options and figure it out.
But some kids...and this is SO not a new thing... Some kids are just edgy. They will always be looking for social frontiers to explore and grown up boundaries to push.

Old 05-11-2022, 03:09 PM

88,691 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
If someone is born with something then it is likely a gene which is responsible or else a hormone. That means we will soon be able to identify those which that 'something' whether it be gayness or any other genetic/hormonal condition (not necessarily bad/good).

There is something which determines whether a baby will be a boy or girl but I dont know what that is, maybe someone else does?
However, if that hormonal process is not working as it should, then the baby will be mixed up in its projection of that gender.

I would look to the unnatural hormones in water or meat taken in by the pregnant mother for the answers.
Um...wouldn't that "something" be an XX or XY chromosome?

Old 05-11-2022, 03:18 PM

88,691 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I don't think gay or straight are the only options; it's more like a spectrum, ranging from pretty much only attracted to the opposite sex, through a wide range of attraction to both sexes, all the way to being attracted only to your own sex.

I think young people are now feeling more empowered to explore all the options that interest them, instead of declaring for one side or the other.

And I think that's a good thing.
Yes, indeed. And even people who think they know about themselves don't always know. Look at Chirlane McCray, the wife of the last Mayor of NYC.

Two long-term relationships with women, even wrote a groundbreaking article about coming out as a lesbian at a time when admitting to being a lesbian was still very much a taboo in the Black community.

And then she met Bill Diblasio. Someone once asked her about being in an interracial relationship, and she said she never even thought too much about the fact that he was he was white because she was so shocked to find herself falling in love with a MAN.

Old 05-11-2022, 04:22 PM

22,043 posts, read 13,063,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Use of GnRH analogues might also have long-term effects on:
Growth spurts
Bone growth and density
Future fertility — depending on when pubertal blockers are started[/i]
You will also have "kid brain for the rest of your life"... More than 80% of kids who identify as transgender come to identify with their birth gender after puberty. But, of course, if you never have one...

Old 05-11-2022, 04:28 PM

44,382 posts, read 20,102,658 times
This thread keeps wandering way off-topic. Again, everyone, whenever you post, PLEASE make your posts relevant to the topic presented in the opening post, and remember which forum you're in when you post. Also, save the snide remarks and personal attacks; they have no place here. Several rude comments have been deleted.

The thread will remain closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-13-2022 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology