Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 06:17 AM

585 posts, read 495,481 times

Advertisements

Let me preface by saying I do believe you are born gay and you most likely know at a young age but this wasn’t as common 20, 30 years ago. I didn’t know anyone when I was a kid in the 80’s and 90’s and I don’t think it was a case of many being afraid to come out because I don’t know many that came out later I feel maybe some are confused now by the over abundance of teachings and maybe they think it’s trendy? Your thoughts?

Old 05-10-2022, 06:35 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
I knew a few kids in high school in the late 80 who were gay, bi or lesbian in smalltown South Carolina. I later became friends with one of them at work and she said shewas afraid of people finding out she was a lesbian, so she dated guys -- she dated one of my male friends -- and kept her one girlfriend at the time secret. It ws a big mess when someone found a love note between her and a girlfriend though meaning her fears were well-founded. Kids were not friendly to either one of them back then.

In 2022, a lot of people are not as judgmental about alternative lifestyles. We have all seen what can happen when you hide your true self and it's not pretty. Folks feel a little more open to coming out. I don't think many people turn gay because it is "trendy."

Not sure this thread should not be in another forum, either great Debates or P&OC.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:50 AM

585 posts, read 495,481 times
I’m not saying they become gay because they think it’s trendy. As I said I think you are born gay not become gay. I mean they experiment or do things they think are woke.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:51 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
Let me preface by saying I do believe you are born gay and you most likely know at a young age but this wasn’t as common 20, 30 years ago. I didn’t know anyone when I was a kid in the 80’s and 90’s and I don’t think it was a case of many being afraid to come out because I don’t know many that came out later I feel maybe some are confused now by the over abundance of teachings and maybe they think it’s trendy? Your thoughts?
OP I believe I am your age. I went to a public high school and the captain of our cheerleading squad was very out and either a lesbian or bisexual. I recognize my HS was unusual, particularly since my city had a pretty large/well known LGBT community at the time. I worked in call centers in the late ‘90s and there was a trans floor manager at one of them who wore skirts/dresses all the time and it didn’t seem to be a huge deal there. I think my college put diversity awareness workers in the dorms starting in the mid-‘90s and when I was there, the LGBTQ+ community was huge.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:03 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
I’m not saying they become gay because they think it’s trendy. As I said I think you are born gay not become gay. I mean they experiment or do things they think are woke.
Do you think there is something wrong with experimenting at that age?
It’s more acceptable now, more out in the open. I do believe some would have been ashamed and either not allowed themselves that experimentation or had kept it a secret in past generations. I’m not sure if that is good or bad.
I do agree, it is more acceptable to be “bi -curious”

Old 05-10-2022, 07:46 AM

867 posts, read 723,174 times
In the 80s, I knew high-school and college-age guys who were gay. I also knew lesbians and girls/women who were bisexual, though not any overtly bisexual guys. The bisexual young women were very popular with some guys who were hoping for a threesome! They all seemed genuine at the time, and the few I am still in touch will never changed.

But a couple of my straight-presenting acquaintances did.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:58 AM

700 posts, read 446,903 times
Quote:
I mean they experiment or do things they think are woke.
What does this even mean?

But OFC it's never been easier to be open about your orientation than it is today. Probably explains it all.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I'm nearly convinced that with females it's a natural tendency to try it, and recent trends are making it more acceptable and therefore more common and visible now.

Over the years I have had 4 female employees (2 here, 2 in California) that were lesbians living with their partner. Each of them later married a man and had kids. On the other hand, all of the gay men I have known remained gay and several have married their male partner.

Old 05-10-2022, 09:47 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
It's actually not that unusual for teens to experiment with a same-sex relationship or infatuation, before moving on to the opposite sex. Nowadays, they don't have to hide it, so we're hearing about it. How old are these kids? Wait a few years, and see if they've found a normative relationship.

Old 05-10-2022, 10:39 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I knew a few kids in high school in the late 80 who were gay, bi or lesbian in smalltown South Carolina. I later became friends with one of them at work and she said shewas afraid of people finding out she was a lesbian, so she dated guys -- she dated one of my male friends -- and kept her one girlfriend at the time secret. It ws a big mess when someone found a love note between her and a girlfriend though meaning her fears were well-founded. Kids were not friendly to either one of them back then.

In 2022, a lot of people are not as judgmental about alternative lifestyles. We have all seen what can happen when you hide your true self and it's not pretty. Folks feel a little more open to coming out. I don't think many people turn gay because it is "trendy."

Not sure this thread should not be in another forum, either great Debates or P&OC.
I agree. We had a good friend in high school that we didn't know was gay, but he told my bff years later that he and another boy in school had a secret relationship in high school. This was around 1979-1980. He wouldn't have dared to be public about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology