Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 01:14 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,490,438 times

Advertisements

So you only agree with people speaking their truth if they say it in a way that meets your approval? What you see as "anger" could simply be that person telling their truth honestly.

That's part of my point. People would rather be "ignorant" of someone else's truth if that truth makes them uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 01:39 PM

5,763 posts, read 3,260,128 times
You know...as I get older, and I experience more 'life' I have experienced some sad, bad stuff. We all do I suppose.

But it's ONE thing to have the knowledge of something...say you read it in a book, or the newspaper, or you studied it in school...and then there's KNOWING because it touched your life somehow. And that is 'knowing' on a whole different level. And if I'd had a choice, I would've chosen to stay naive about it, and ignorance is bliss.

For example (and completely hypothetical.)

You know about child trafficking. You've read about it, you think it's awful, you donate to charities that help combat it, or that offer services to recovered kids, etc. You know the stats. And THEN your grand daughter gets kidnapped and trafficked. NOW you know about child trafficking on a whole new level, and you surely wish you did not know this.

Old 07-28-2022, 01:42 PM

13,302 posts, read 8,534,555 times
Since it's about a belief system incorporated into a persons character.
Then yes I believe some ignorance has been necessary to continue surviving .
When the truth is revealed perhaps I can ' accept' it at face value. There are sometimes where ignorance ( naivete ') keeps a person safe to make it thru this path of life.

Again a belief...not really open to critique.

Old 07-28-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
If it’s in an aggressive, self-righteous tone (or as a way to blame another for one’s behavior) - then yes, I do think people will have a tendency to shut-down or tune it out.
People who can't see past the delivery...maybe the message wasn't meant for them.

Old 07-28-2022, 02:11 PM

13,733 posts, read 12,547,868 times
It's bliss in an inverse relation to how much it will affect us and what we can do about it. We do need to control what information we consume in relation to how it affects us. I'm not going to watch or read a lot about a dog meat festival in Asia because I can't do anything about it and knowing or not knowing about it isn't going to change anything, except me being upset that they're slaughtering dogs for meat.

But I think it is important to know what's going on in the world around you that can or could affect you.

Old 07-28-2022, 02:28 PM

I dunno. I've been around people that others label one thing or another, and that person didn't bother me. When reading text on a screen, whose "voice" are you hearing--theirs, or yours? Rhetorical.

Old 07-28-2022, 02:31 PM

5,763 posts, read 3,260,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Since it's about a belief system incorporated into a persons character.
Then yes I believe some ignorance has been necessary to continue surviving .
When the truth is revealed perhaps I can ' accept' it at face value. There are sometimes where ignorance ( naivete ') keeps a person safe to make it thru this path of life.

Again a belief...not really open to critique.
I would agree with this. I've often thought if there are things I'm still naive about...I would prefer to stay that way.

Old 07-28-2022, 02:54 PM

8,830 posts, read 3,983,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I dunno. I've been around people that others label one thing or another, and that person didn't bother me. When reading text on a screen, whose "voice" are you hearing--theirs, or yours?
When you’re communicating (your) ‘truth’, hopefully it isn’t by way of text; hence the reason I mentioned tone/motivation and how it’s communicated, to your point re: people would rather remain ignorant if they are uncomfortable. Well, yeah, lol - if you’re speaking to online communication (from strangers), I absolutely agree (psychologically healthy) people will have no interest. It’s not ignorance; it’s good judgment.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:44 PM

3,350 posts, read 1,847,522 times
If ignorance is bliss why aren't more people happy?

Old 07-28-2022, 05:12 PM

9,205 posts, read 6,364,907 times
"Where ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise."
Thomas Gray’s poem, Ode on a Distant Prospect at Eton College
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology