Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 01:48 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Scheidegger View Post
The people who thought the scar was still there imag[in]ed or perceived that the scar was affecting their conversation or rapport with the people. It shows how your perception of how you think people see you can actually make you think you see things that are not really there. It's very interesting.
That could be extrapolated into -- how to put this with little controversy -- how people from certain groups assume people from other groups are treating them differently than they otherwise would. But how could that be studied?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 01:08 PM

164 posts, read 84,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I remember a while back, in one of the forums, maybe the beauty forum, there was a discussion on scars, moles, etc. I remember thinking how I have a couple of scars and a mole in some prominent places, but I've never been self-concious about them. Maybe because most of them, I've had most of my life.

I have a keloid scar on my arm from a vaccine, and a 'beauty mark' ala Marilyn Monroe, and then another mole on my clavicle. Scars from scrapes and cuts as a kid...and none of them have made me reticent. BUT, a lot of people DID feel self conscious about their various "marks of individuality".

My ex husband's mother had fallen in to a bonfire when she was a little girl. She received third degree burns up and down her neck, across her chest and one of her shoulders, and partially down one arm. Obviously, I didn't meet her until much later in life...but apparently she had been self conscious of her scars for most of her life. She hated having her picture taken because of her scars. Of course her scars were worse than anything I had...except...I honestly truly didn't notice her scars until she pointed them out to me, and told me the story of how she got them. What I always noticed were her piercing beautiful blue/green eyes, and how her son (my husband) got his good looks from her.

Wow that's very interesting. Yes, it goes to show you how you can hold yourself back just from your inner thought process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
That could be extrapolated into -- how to put this with little controversy -- how people from certain groups assume people from other groups are treating them differently than they otherwise would. But how could that be studied?

Oh I see what you're saying. Yes, it can go for any group, short people, handicapped people, or other groups. Anyone who's self conscious of a certain part or feature about themselves that they perceive others may treat them differently because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology