Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 06:26 AM

29,753 posts, read 34,428,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Right- even on here, he posted two threads on the same topic that got merged. Many people here get banned because they keep multi posting about the same topic. If you get good advice the first time, then posting about the same topic again a week later is just not appropriate. There are going to be people saying “If you don’t like your job, get a better one” on almost every thread related to jobs. On the other hand, there are usually people who give legitimate advice on those same threads.
And in the OP, he said that he didn't know why he was banned from these groups, and then described exactly why he was banned. He's obviously able to communicate in online groups, but is missing out on the nuances and reading between the lines, in a way that might be easier for people with higher-functioning autism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 09:37 AM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And in the OP, he said that he didn't know why he was banned from these groups, and then described exactly why he was banned. He's obviously able to communicate in online groups, but is missing out on the nuances and reading between the lines, in a way that might be easier for people with higher-functioning autism.
Well, if these are support groups specific to the OP's condition, you'd think they'd have a certain amount of understanding about that sort of thing. There should be a procedure in place for the mods, about giving x number of warnings first, so the poster can change their online behavior, before an outright ban.

The OP says, it's mostly the same people and the same mods on both sites, so being banned from both isn't necessarily reflective of some kind of extreme, egregious behavior. They're basically both the same community. I wonder why they felt the need to create two FB sites for the same topic. That's a little unusual.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:53 AM

29,753 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, if these are support groups specific to the OP's condition, you'd think they'd have a certain amount of understanding about that sort of thing. There should be a procedure in place for the mods, about giving x number of warnings first, so the poster can change their online behavior, before an outright ban.

The OP says, it's mostly the same people and the same mods on both sites, so being banned from both isn't necessarily reflective of some kind of extreme, egregious behavior. They're basically both the same community. I wonder why they felt the need to create two FB sites for the same topic. That's a little unusual.
There usually is a procedure in place for banning people from groups, and the since the OP actually knew some of his behavior was problematic, he most likely was told.

And it's not that unusual for different groups started by different people at different times to have similar membership. I belong to a few special interest and professional FB groups--people will search for a topic and join anything that sounds similar.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:03 AM

5,660 posts, read 3,167,235 times
OP isn't exactly forthcoming with information. It's a little like pulling teeth.

I'm wondering if the support groups consist of mostly OTHERS on the autism scale, OR, mostly for friends and family of those on the scale, or a mixture of both. If it's mostly friends and family, they MIGHT not be as tolerant of 'diverse' behavior as a group of neuro-diverse individuals would be.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:07 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,750,034 times
OP, were you cautioned about your disruptive behavior before you were banned?

Old 11-03-2022, 10:10 AM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Right- even on here, he posted two threads on the same topic that got merged. Many people here get banned because they keep multi posting about the same topic. If you get good advice the first time, then posting about the same topic again a week later is just not appropriate. There are going to be people saying “If you don’t like your job, get a better one” on almost every thread related to jobs. On the other hand, there are usually people who give legitimate advice on those same threads.
True. We see that on the Relationships forum from time to time; people posting their frustrations about the same issue/s over and over, or asking for advice time and again, but never taking the good advice offered, so they bounce back later with the same problems. They do get banned.

Old 11-03-2022, 02:23 PM

749 posts, read 853,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
I also repeated myself over and over again on the Facebook posts. It annoyed people.
Facebook bots apparently do not differentiate groups very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
People in the facebook aspergers page thought I was intellectually disabled. They didn't understand why I couldn't or didn't have a job better than bussing tables or bagging groceries at my age.
People are mean.

Old 11-03-2022, 02:45 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,689,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
True. We see that on the Relationships forum from time to time; people posting their frustrations about the same issue/s over and over, or asking for advice time and again, but never taking the good advice offered, so they bounce back later with the same problems. They do get banned.
Yes, I think it becomes especially frustrating when a poster has the same complaints weekly and then comes up with excuse after excuse why X advice won’t work and why Y rebuttal is not applicable to them. Some posters take an opportunity to put these complaints into every post, even when they are not at all relevant to the topic at hand. Even for neurodiverse people, that is not going to be helpful. I can think of one poster like this who posts in a few subfora right now- to the point that many threads just end up being totally hijacked and not at all related to what the OP was about. I can imagine very few groups allowing that sort of behavior long-term.

Old 12-03-2022, 12:34 AM

84 posts, read 53,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
OP isn't exactly forthcoming with information. It's a little like pulling teeth.

I'm wondering if the support groups consist of mostly OTHERS on the autism scale, OR, mostly for friends and family of those on the scale, or a mixture of both. If it's mostly friends and family, they MIGHT not be as tolerant of 'diverse' behavior as a group of neuro-diverse individuals would be.
The University of Otago (New Zealand) recently had a lecture about decriminalizing neurodiverse people. If anyone is interested, this lecture was uploaded to YouTube on the University channel. There is hope for the OP that the future will be brighter.

Old 12-03-2022, 03:34 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,156,686 times
Quote:
Yes, I think it becomes especially frustrating when a poster has the same complaints weekly and then comes up with excuse after excuse why X advice won’t work and why Y rebuttal is not applicable to them. Some posters take an opportunity to put these complaints into every post, even when they are not at all relevant to the topic at hand. Even for neurodiverse people, that is not going to be helpful. I can think of one poster like this who posts in a few subfora right now- to the point that many threads just end up being totally hijacked and not at all related to what the OP was about. I can imagine very few groups allowing that sort of behavior long-term.
....Because it's tedious, tiresome, and a waste of bandwidth for others to manage? And ultimately disruptive to the experience of others? Such is the logic of Groups, forums, etc.: they're their own world(s) of rules, social norms, etc.

Not sure why an adult cares about so-called "cyberbullying." Who cares what anyone else thinks. I assume but never sought validation that I'm close to the ephemeral cutoff to what DSM V calls Autism Spectrum Disorder (include Asperger's syndrome, Rett syndrome, childhood disintegrative disorder, Kanner's syndrome, and pervasive developmental disorder). I don't care about that either. Don't get mad, get even: some careers essentially reward the behavior. IT for example. Ask me how I know...or better yet: don't.

The world doesn't revolve around the so-called neurodivergent and exhausting problems. Most put as much distance as humanly possible between themselves and Cluster B, Dark Triad, Autism Spectrum Disorder(s), etc. That's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology