Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 09:40 AM

21,883 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing for quite a while now the tendency to attribute certain variations in personality to "neurodivergence" or someone "being on the spectrum." No longer is someone described as just "shy," "reserved," "quiet," or even "eccentric," but rather "possibly autistic." Diseases and disorders come in and out of vogue, and currently it seems autism is fashionable or the Disease du Jour. However, I was really disturbed by a recent conversation among friends/acquaintances in which another friend, who was absent, was described as such for his "attention to detail," "indecision," and failure to heed "social cues." It should be noted that the friends discussing this introverted person are all extreme extroverts to the point of being party animals and obviously simply don't like or can't relate to this person's personality. I argued that there was no evidence of this -- some people are just low-key and serious in contrast to them -- but they probably ended up concluding that I'm autistic, too, LOL. I find this pathologizing of differences scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 09:49 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Introversion and autism are completely different, and neither are a disease. Ultimately it's not trendy or problematic that people are getting diagnosed with conditions that have diagnostic criteria, and with that knowledge of how their brain chemistry works, they can learn better coping and life functions and advocate for themselves rather than feeling like there's something wrong with them or that they're not normal.

Old 01-15-2023, 10:03 AM

When I pointed out that they're very different, I was told "it's a spectrum." I'm talking about lay people and amateurs, not licensed professionals, "diagnosing" their friends as such. I find it insulting and harmful when an actual disorder is applied as a label to those someone simply doesn't relate to, and it seems to be happening quite frequently when it comes to this. I'm sure extroverts (and, let's face it, they're the majority in our culture) have always considered introverts weird, defective, and undesirable as companions, and now there's a "scientific explanation" for it. It's simply being bandied about way too much.

Old 01-15-2023, 11:39 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Introversion is completely different from autism.. Introverts prefer a lot of alone time compared extroverts. They're not weird or can't read social cues...

Old 01-15-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Introverts prefer a lot of alone time compared extroverts.
That's the technical definition, but in popular culture, introverts are seen as quiet, reserved, and serious. These traits are now being labeled "autistic" by many who don't know what they're talking about. "Weird" is in the eye of the beholder and, according to many extroverts, anyone who isn't an extrovert is "weird."

Old 01-15-2023, 12:57 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That's the technical definition, but in popular culture, introverts are seen as quiet, reserved, and serious. These traits are now being labeled "autistic" by many who don't know what they're talking about. "Weird" is in the eye of the beholder and, according to many extroverts, anyone who isn't an extrovert is "weird."
Well, those people are just dumb then lol.

Old 01-15-2023, 01:30 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
How odd. I know a lot of introverted people and am one myself. Can't recall these folks complaining they were being unfairly labeled as autistic. Maybe on the extreme end of the spectrum someone might, but the extreme ends of spectrums rarely apply to the majority of anything.

Old 01-15-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
How odd. I know a lot of introverted people and am one myself. Can't recall these folks complaining they were being unfairly labeled as autistic.
Obviously (I hope), they're not "labeled autistic" to their faces. As I explained, this was a group of extroverted friends "diagnosing" an absent member. No one seems to be getting what I'm saying here.

Old 01-15-2023, 01:34 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Introversion is completely different from autism.. Introverts prefer a lot of alone time compared extroverts. They're not weird or can't read social cues...
Agreed. I am friendly and social, but that has a time limit. As an introvert, it’s like having my battery drained, so it needs to be recharged by being alone or at least in quiet. I’ve always preferred friendships one on one instead of a group.

What I often see confused is shyness and introversion. Shy people may skew toward introversion but all introverts are not shy. I don’t have social anxiety or a fear of talking to others.

Last edited by Katnan; 01-15-2023 at 02:15 PM..

Old 01-15-2023, 01:41 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Sounds like what you're saying is the extroverts you know have found a new way to "explain" introverts to themselves. I would agree that extroverts in general don't understand introversion and see it as some sort of mental "disease." But I'm not sure how they made the leap from introvert to autism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology