Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 12:54 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,615,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
Yes, and gag me with the "Love means never having to say you're sorry."

Who would say this tho? They don’t know what love is, because ofc a person has to say they are sorry sometimes. It’s like saying you’re never wrong in any argument or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Sure, we don’t have to; however, then the question would be, why wouldn’t you want to? Don’t you consider it to be healthy to express/discuss your emotions, particularly with one you love? That said, relative to several (serious) relationships with women in the past, I’ve learned how to be more emotionally open/communicative/vulnerable as a man within the context of such; however, it works both ways and only gradually unfolds, of course. Otherwise, it’s something else entirely.

Love this.<3

Quote:
It’s not only possible to feel attachment/love sans ‘possessiveness’ - but necessary, relative to one’s psychological health as well as to the stability of the relationship. Keep in mind ‘true love’ is a two-way street; if either person feels as though they must cling to, or possess, the other - it’s not love (nor is it sustainable or healthy, for that matter).

SO true…real love is encouraging & supporting each other to be all they can be. It’s not possession. IMO, healthy relationships based on love AND compatibility aren’t as common as they should be or can be. So, ppl question love & its authenticity because it’s so far removed from what they have experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 01:00 PM

88,831 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Who would say this tho? They don’t know what love is, because ofc a person has to say they are sorry sometimes. It’s like saying you’re never wrong.

<snip>
The character Jenny in Love Story, that's who.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love...u're_sorry

Happy to add to your American pop culture knowledge today!

Old 02-09-2023, 01:23 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,615,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The character Jenny in Love Story, that's who.

I didn’t know it was a line from a super old movie. Tbh, it makes even less sense now. IMO feeling sorry & knowing when to apologize in a relationship is important. Nobody is perfect & everybody has arguments.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:20 PM

8,776 posts, read 3,942,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I don't think that anyone can justify a lack of compassion for humanity because their needs for love, belonging and self-actualization are not met.
It’s basic psychology/health relative to our hierarchy of needs/logic, not a ‘justification’ for anything. Those with poor emotional connections (sans a sense of belonging/love) have a more difficult time functioning in society re: ‘lower-tiered’ needs, yet alone a compassion or love for humanity, as a whole.

Quote:
So I don't believe that one necessarily naturally follows the other or that feeling that one's needs are adequately met is a precondition for compassionate feeling or behavior.
Obviously, needs lower in the hierarchy must be satisfied first i.e. food, clothing and shelter prior to love, belonging and esteem. Self-actualization is at the top of the list, although it’s not as if we consciously check-off-the-boxes as each is met. ;-)

A person who has been in one-sided or dysfunctional relationships is going to have difficulty believing in (or finding/maintaining) a healthy one; they may question the entire concept of love, per the thread, and/or believe it doesn’t exist. It’s what you might call a ‘jaded perspective’, whether it be regarding romantic love or (a lack of) compassionate feelings for the homeless or humanity, as a whole. Unresolved anger is typically at its core.

In other words, we have to love ourselves (and be in a good place mentally) in order to be capable of loving others.

Quote:
A lack of compassion for humanity can tread into some pretty pathological territory, where it cannot be excused by the individual's unmet needs.
I agree, in the same way unrequited love can turn (or be) pathological as well i.e. stalking, obsession and the associated anger/rage. It’s a matter of identifying potentially harmful problems in order to work toward psychological health.

Old 02-12-2023, 08:46 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,452,440 times
Quote:
It’s basic psychology/health relative to our hierarchy of needs/logic, not a ‘justification’ for anything. Those with poor emotional connections (sans a sense of belonging/love) have a more difficult time functioning in society re: ‘lower-tiered’ needs, yet alone a compassion or love for humanity, as a whole.

Obviously, needs lower in the hierarchy must be satisfied first i.e. food, clothing and shelter prior to love, belonging and esteem. Self-actualization is at the top of the list, although it’s not as if we consciously check-off-the-boxes as each is met. ;-)

A person who has been in one-sided or dysfunctional relationships is going to have difficulty believing in (or finding/maintaining) a healthy one; they may question the entire concept of love, per the thread, and/or believe it doesn’t exist. It’s what you might call a ‘jaded perspective’, whether it be regarding romantic love or (a lack of) compassionate feelings for the homeless or humanity, as a whole. Unresolved anger is typically at its core.

In other words, we have to love ourselves (and be in a good place mentally) in order to be capable of loving others.

I agree, in the same way unrequited love can turn (or be) pathological as well i.e. stalking, obsession and the associated anger/rage. It’s a matter of identifying potentially harmful problems in order to work toward psychological health.
Maslow's hierarchy is a handy framework for discussions like this but keep in mind it is only a theory and with very limited empirical support. It is often discussed in an oversimplified way that makes it seem much more concrete than Maslow himself intended. So sure, it's a starting point, but that is ALL. See this for just one source discussing limitations: https://www.td.org/insights/maslows-...t-from-fiction

You are correct on one point, and that is that we don't consciously check off those boxes - but more than that we don't necessarily fulfill ANY need completely yet we often proceed to working to the next "higher" (and that's not entirely accurate either!) one as we progress through life. Let's not get too pedantic here, especially at an "Intro to Psych" level.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Maslow's hierarchy is a handy framework for discussions like this but keep in mind it is only a theory and with very limited empirical support. It is often discussed in an oversimplified way that makes it seem much more concrete than Maslow himself intended. So sure, it's a starting point, but that is ALL.

You are correct on one point, and that is that we don't consciously check off those boxes - but more than that we don't necessarily fulfill ANY need completely yet we often proceed to working to the next "higher" (and that's not entirely accurate either!) one as we progress through life. Let's not get too pedantic here, especially at an "Intro to Psych" level.
You seem to be the pedant; I’m simply discussing my opinion (to which you apparently disagree or have a problem). It’s true I’m speaking to basic psychological health, but it is my own; it’s not as if I’m pretending to be a psychologist or therapist (or have had serious relationship issues in my past). I’m not, and I don’t. I’m just a guy who has (I believe to be) a healthy perspective on love - including a compassion for humanity and a shared loved with a romantic partner as well as friends and family.

That said, I firmly believe we must love ourselves (and share a mutual love with others) to obtain psychological health, as a whole. Thanks for your googled references, but I don’t need to read about Psychology online to have a working knowledge of such or an opinion re: love, per the thread (nor does anyone else, for that matter).

Old 02-12-2023, 10:09 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,452,440 times
Quote:
You seem to be the pedant; I’m simply discussing my opinion (to which you apparently disagree or have a problem). It’s true I’m speaking to basic psychological health, but it is my own; it’s not as if I’m pretending to be a psychologist or therapist (or have had serious relationship issues in my past). I’m not, and I don’t. I’m just a guy who has (I believe to be) a healthy perspective on love - including a compassion for humanity and a shared loved with a romantic partner as well as friends and family.

That said, I firmly believe we must love ourselves (and share a mutual love with others) to obtain psychological health, as a whole. Thanks for your googled references, but I don’t need to read about Psychology online to have a working knowledge of such or an opinion re: love, per the thread (nor does anyone else, for that matter).
Whewww - thanks for confirming that you don't and haven't had any (serious) issues in your past - I feel better now that you're able to have a clear and cogent discussion...that said...I'm glad to say I don't eschew reliable sources of online information and can use those to go beyond my own limited experiences. You must truly be a man of the world!

Old 02-12-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Whewww - thanks for confirming that you don't and haven't had any (serious) issues in your past - I feel better now that you're able to have a clear and cogent discussion...that said...
Point being, it’s (more than) clear many have (or had) serious issues relative to their antagonism or jaded perspective re: love, per the thread.

Quote:
...I'm glad to say I don't eschew reliable sources of online information and can use those to go beyond my own limited experiences.
I don’t consider online sources of information to be reliable (or necessary) relative to a Forum and my opinion/personal life/experiences. :-)

Old 02-12-2023, 10:46 AM

5,010 posts, read 599,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I didn’t know it was a line from a super old movie. Tbh, it makes even less sense now. IMO feeling sorry & knowing when to apologize in a relationship is important. Nobody is perfect & everybody has arguments.
It's one of the most quoted movie lines of all time....I find it SO annoying, and I struggle to figure out what the heck it means.

For instance : Does love mean never having to say you're sorry because lovers never (or should never) disappoint each other? Or is it because apologies are unnecessary when two people love each other?

It may be someone's idea of a philosophically beautiful definition of love, but to me it's just plain stupid.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Yes, and gag me with the "Love means never having to say you're sorry."
Quote:
It's one of the most quoted movie lines of all time....I find it SO annoying, and I struggle to figure out what the heck it means.

For instance : Does love mean never having to say you're sorry because lovers never (or should never) disappoint each other? Or is it because apologies are unnecessary when two people love each other?

It may be someone's idea of a philosophically beautiful definition of love, but to me it's just plain stupid.
I agree; it has no practical application whatsoever. That said, it’s a ridiculous and antiquated movie (with countless stereotypes); we can’t expect anything of relevance from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology