Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 05:40 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times

Advertisements

I don't think a lot of those sitings in the original post necessarily boil down to passion. More a matter of economic and social reasons for the declines, such as with movie sales, sports and concert attendance. Remember COVID? It was hard for a lot of entertainment lovers to do what they wanted to due to restrictions. Was that their fault? No. And we're still feeling the changes from that.

But if we're just talking lust of life and fun, you can certainly find places in the US for that (New Orleans, Miami, Key West, Las Vegas, etc). No one's going to stop the party in those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 05:53 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
I think "passion" turned into "anger". Which is very sad.

Old 02-06-2023, 06:52 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Um...COVID?? Hello?

Old 02-06-2023, 07:52 PM

992 posts, read 544,819 times
It depends on which sector of society we're talking about. Entertainment IMO is played out, particularly movies since Hollywood doesn't seem to be able to come up with many original ideas for movies and shows. I've also had enough of main stream sports and the ghetto thugs that play them. I only watch the sports that I participate in now, mainly MotoGP and WSKBK.

The biomedical engineering field on the other hand is very very exciting!!! We are going to see some crazy developments in the next 20 - 30 years. Things that would have seemed like sci-fi back in the 70's.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:59 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
I think everyone is stressed out because you need two full time incomes to afford a house in many places, so every little personal errand becomes a juggling act with work, especially because the economy is so hot that no one wants to be open on a weekend. People are expecting to be able to live a lifestyle with pets, kids, houses, and travel but simply no time to manage the maintenance of it all.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:14 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Um...COVID?? Hello?
Nope. Can't use that as an excuse anymore.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:42 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,015,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
So using statistics aside, what's going? Have people made their phones their main form of escapism nowadays? But why? Is it just simply the convenience side of things? Have people forgotten how to live in the present?

Or maybe...
Yes. It was developed to become an addiction. And it had great success. Here, where I live, there are millions of people. Now I have to be extra careful in traffic because most of the drivers are on their phones. While driving.

Plus all the other reasons that you mentioned. Plus some more, like the lack of morals for example. Or lack of other things. Contentment with what you have, mental balance, simplicity, common sense, calmness, etiquette etc.

Old 02-07-2023, 09:42 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I was just thinking this the other day. Where is the passion we used to have?

I listen to Willie's Roadhouse on Serius XM, and it's the old great country songs.

Where is the passion and longing we used to have? It's palpable in old songs, and I don't hear it or see it anymore.

"Shameless" written as recently as 1989 is the epitome of this, but there's also so many more. "He Stopped Loving Her Today", "To All The Girls I've Loved Before", "Ring of Fire", etc.

I have a feeling there's a direct correlation between this lack of passion and average sperm count dropping by HALF since 1970.
I think you're right. I also think culture and society might play a part in this as well. More of us are living sedentary lifestyles than back in those days partially because of technological advancements. I hear about people being more stressed out as time goes on which can be pretty draining as well.

Old 02-07-2023, 09:46 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You may not, but many MANY people do. I see people, LOTS of people, still wearing masks, even OUTDOORS. Many restaurants and businesses have been decimated, and recovery has not been made still.
I just went to a DR. appt; 2 weeks ago, had to wear a mask. Eye appt. also, mask required. People are NOT "going places" like they did pre-COVID.

So you're over it, I'm over it...but the effects linger, greatly.

Old 02-07-2023, 09:52 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Fallouts can last a long time... COVID was never an excuse for me and my life because I wasn't that different pre-COVID. In my state and city, people are carrying on to the point that if you don't ask, you wouldn't even know it happened. There are a few people here and there that still wear masks. Other than that, it's pretty much as it was before.

For me, I would say that it is being drained and burned out from certain things.

Also, I think the comment about passion turning into anger is also a factor. I kinda see that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology