Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 05:44 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,911,543 times

Advertisements

About the (once known as obscene) language thing as brought up by another poster ...Perhaps I AM a prude (not that I care) because, even after many years of being subjected to what was one time known as 'bad language', I STILL cringe when I hear the "f" word used so freely by parents around their kids. Or around anyone else for that matter. It's an ugly and also an aggressive word. How can anyone speak to their kids or show respect for others in that manner? But they do.

And, today's so-called 'TV comedians' cannot get through a so-called comedic routine unless it is peppered with the 'f' word and, often, pure filth. And their dimwitted audiences roll on the floor laughing.

What happened to society and plain common decency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 05:52 PM

2,039 posts, read 994,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
About the (once known as obscene) language thing as brought up by another poster ...Perhaps I AM a prude (not that I care) because, even after many years of being subjected to what was one time known as 'bad language', I STILL cringe when I hear the "f" word used so freely by parents around their kids. Or around anyone else for that matter. It's an ugly and also an aggressive word. How can anyone speak to their kids or show respect for others in that manner? But they do.

And, today's so-called 'TV comedians' cannot get through a so-called comedic routine unless it is peppered with the 'f' word and, often, pure filth. And their dimwitted audiences roll on the floor laughing.

Ending sentences with a "yeah" is not the same as gratuitous profanity.

Old 05-22-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
I saw a you tube show yesterday and counted every time this guy dropped the "F" bomb. It was 42 times in the first 3 minutes. I'm no crude, but the guy has kids, he's married and trying to do some kind of you tube business and to think he has such a driven "habit' of saying this. Every other word was "F" or "F..ing" it was horrible.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:24 PM

18,498 posts, read 9,167,872 times
I just thought of Bill Lumbergh from the movie Office Space. Yeah…

Old 05-22-2023, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I just thought of Bill Lumbergh from the movie Office Space. Yeah…
That'd be greeeeaaaat.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:45 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but it seems to have a psychological aspect to it---as in denigrating or patronizing.

I first noticed it about 10 years ago in Hawaii and just thought it was a Hawaiian thing. I don't hear it much in real life, but it sure is on TV.

Just finished the series "Succession" and those rich "kids" end every sentence with "yeah?"

I guess they want to make sure they are heard and understood, and more importantly: obeyed by their underlings.

Do you hear this in real life or is this just the latest trend on TV, to make the rich and famous even more hip and cool (lol)?

Or is just lazy talk? Somehow it seems more patronizing than just saying "right?" which is kind of begging for confirmation too.

It's just annoying but maybe it's here to stay---
What is more frequent, and more annoying, in my experience is people who say "Yeah" at the *beginning* of every sentence -- even when it's a two-word sentence that ends with "no".

Old 05-23-2023, 08:41 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
There are lots of words like that; I knew somebody who added "right?" to the end of every sentence.
lol is a variation of it, and no longer means "laugh out loud," it's just there to form a connection with the listener.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:52 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
There are lots of words like that; I knew somebody who added "right?" to the end of every sentence.
lol is a variation of it, and no longer means "laugh out loud," it's just there to form a connection with the listener.
That was once pointed out to me as being very prevalent am9ng people in my home state of New Jersey. When he said that to me, without thinking I said "Right".

There is a good TED talk on LOL by the linguist John McWhorter.

Old 05-23-2023, 11:02 AM

6,797 posts, read 2,911,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
No, it isn't. And getting into profanity is also off-topic. However, just sticking with the theme of people saying 'yeah' at the end of sentences would not have gone the distance. Topics such as this one quite naturally branch out into other words and expressions that people use.

Old 05-23-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That was once pointed out to me as being very prevalent am9ng people in my home state of New Jersey. When he said that to me, without thinking I said "Right".

There is a good TED talk on LOL by the linguist John McWhorter.
I love John McWhorter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology