Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 04:50 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times

Advertisements

I remember when we went to pick up my mom and baby brother from the hospital in 1957 (age almost 3), as clear as the day we did it. I remember when we traded our car in for a new one, and sadly looking out the window of the new car as we left the old car at the sales lot (age 4). I remember the first day of kindergarten (1959) and a whole lot of things since that time too. They often think those that are older have trouble remembering things, just because they are old, but I have a treasure trove of memories that younger people do not. Yes, I still remember everything that happened recently too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2023, 06:26 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
I'm in my 40s & I remember many things as early as pre-school:

- this thick-knitted colrful sweater my mom wore
- my Halloween costume of this plastic, blow-up, yellow monster in which the main part ws worn on my head
- my brown rabbit named Sniffles, then my second one...a black & white one named Puff
- my teacher's name
- a few classmates' names
- my favorite dress: White, puff-sleeved, w/ red & blue ribbons on it

Old 07-23-2023, 06:35 PM

13,299 posts, read 366,139 times
Tonsils coming out at 3….the operating room looked like a…..garage….the ether…chloroform was horrid.

Taking my bunny to kindergarten class…pet day.
Bunny always getting in neighbors garden..

Bozo the clown show, Denver,i was living in Greeley with my grandparents..
He drew my name and number out of a hat…I was watching…sure enough he callled the house I was on live t.v.
!!!!
Sure enough both my grandparents were working in the yard…….and missed it..weren’t sure to believe me..they did when my toys from Bozo arrived.

1st grade a swing hit me in the head just right cracked my skull….blood EVERYWHERE
Got staples.
In that same town first grade…saw the Beatles on neighbors t.v.
President Kennedy killed.

Broke my arm I’m half 4th grade playground….
It bent in half hard to forget…

P.s, I was adopted at birth..don’t remember back that far obviously.
More than you proxy wanted to know..im rambling….

Last edited by Summerz88; 07-23-2023 at 07:56 PM..

Old 07-23-2023, 07:42 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,624,361 times
A lot of memories, many insignificant, like just walking down a sidewalk or eating a watermelon. Don't know why my memory bank retained those since nothing special happened. Sometimes a certain sound, maybe a tune or a certain smell will trigger something and I get sent back in time where I experienced them before.

I do remember when I was in 2nd grade and we were walking to school and instead of following the streets we took a shortcut and followed the railroad tracks.
As we were throwing rocks at the empty boxcars I picked up one rock that looked completely different from all the others. It was a dark color with shiny specks in it, kind of cool looking.

My dad had watched a science show on TV about meteorites that week and an idea popped into my head. It was the day we had show and tell at school so I brought my rock to school along with a pack of lies, how it was a piece of a large meteor that broke off as it reached earth and my dad bought it from some museum.

I think most of the class absorbed my baloney, even the teacher. One kid kept asking me if I wanted to sell but I didn't know if he was serious until he pulled out some quarters from his pocket. I think I got about 70 cents from him plus the cupcake from his lunchbox.

All during class I noticed he kept examining it and playing with it at his desk until the teacher told him to put it in his pocket.

Old 07-23-2023, 09:02 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Pretty sure my earliest memory is of my first and only day of preschool. I didn't want to be there so I cried and wouldn't participate in anything. I remember another girl tried to cheer me up by offering me a cowboy hat to wear but I wasn't having it. I also remember feeling INCENSED and stubbornly kept making a fuss so everyone knew I meant business! Mom wasn't happy about it but I never went back. Apparently I was fine a year later when I started Kindergarten but I don't remember my first day there, but I do remember we had naptime everyday and one kid got picked to "wake up" everyone by tapping them on the head with a magic wand.

Old 07-23-2023, 11:42 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
My earliest coherent memory is of sitting at the kitchen table, looking out the window and asking if I could go outside and play, and my mom said after lunch, which was a NO JELLY NO CRUST peanut butter sandwich, lol. I was a super picky eater. I must have been 4 or younger because we I was the only kid there.

I have a few other random memories from around that age, like what my bedroom looked like, and our dogs pulling me in a sled, and laying in the tall grass near our house and looking up at the clouds, and the time bats secretly nested in the crawlspace and then came flapping out when my mom accidentally disturbed them, lol. That one is crazy because in my memory the bats are gigantic, but given the actual type of bat from that region they must have been just little guys.

Old 07-24-2023, 05:14 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
. I remember when we traded our car in for a new one, and sadly looking out the window of the new car as we left the old car at the sales lot (age 4)
That's precious

Old 07-24-2023, 05:35 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,268 times
In kindergarten, we had nap time where we rolled out our mats and laid on the floor. We could nap or read a book or play quietly.

I picked up a book to read and was thumbing through it and had this big sneeze. I blew a big wad of snot all over the pages of the book and sat there mortified not knowing what to do. I had just ruined that section of the book. So I quietly shut the book, with the goo squeezed over the edges and got up, walked to the bookshelf and put it back where I got it from.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:07 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,457,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
My dad had watched a science show on TV about meteorites that week and an idea popped into my head. It was the day we had show and tell at school so I brought my rock to school along with a pack of lies, how it was a piece of a large meteor that broke off as it reached earth and my dad bought it from some museum.

I think most of the class absorbed my baloney, even the teacher. One kid kept asking me if I wanted to sell but I didn't know if he was serious until he pulled out some quarters from his pocket. I think I got about 70 cents from him plus the cupcake from his lunchbox.

All during class I noticed he kept examining it and playing with it at his desk until the teacher told him to put it in his pocket.
This is awesome! I was scrolling and saw your name "I bet this is good", stopped to read and sure enough. This is great.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:13 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Well tell us what the damn rock actually was! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology