Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 11:28 AM

11,043 posts, read 6,875,918 times

Advertisements

When I was about 3 years old, my dad and I would work out in the backyard together in La Mesa (San Diego). Fond memories. He found a tarantula and for some reason put it in the toilet to flush. I can still see that poor thing floating there. You can imagine why I looked every single time before sitting down for many years. That's a kid's mind for you. I don't understand why my dad did that, he's a big nature lover and tarantulas are not dangerous. In fact I'm going to call him up right now and ask him why he did that!!

Does anyone remember Bob Hope in "Call me Bwana?" (1963) He had a tarantula crawling up his leg while on safari in Africa (a spoof from the movie Dr. No) and in typical Bob Hope comical fashion rolled his eyes and brushed it off at the last second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 12:19 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
When I was about 3 years old, my dad and I would work out in the backyard together in La Mesa (San Diego). Fond memories. He found a tarantula and for some reason put it in the toilet to flush. I can still see that poor thing floating there. You can imagine why I looked every single time before sitting down for many years. That's a kid's mind for you. I don't understand why my dad did that, he's a big nature lover and tarantulas are not dangerous. In fact I'm going to call him up right now and ask him why he did that!!

Does anyone remember Bob Hope in "Call me Bwana?" (1963) He had a tarantula crawling up his leg while on safari in Africa (a spoof from the movie Dr. No) and in typical Bob Hope comical fashion rolled his eyes and brushed it off at the last second.
This post reminded me of another memory. I was under 4, I think. I woke up early one morning, (this was not a usual thing) and my dad was taking a shower, to get ready for work. Up to that point, I had NEVER known anyone to take a shower. All us kids took baths, and my mom took baths. I started crying hysterically, I was terrified my dad would go down the drain with the rest of the water. lol

My mom had to comfort me, and then once my dad was dressed, he had to comfort me. I guess I kinda messed up his morning routine that day. LOL

Old 07-24-2023, 12:35 PM

That's an interesting memory. It reminds me of when we visited relatives in Oregon. They had a huge property with many cherry trees and blackberry bushes. We were picking cherries and blackberries. My dad bit into a bug inside a blackberry. He spit it out and there was a big ruckus LOL. From that point on, I refused to eat any berry whatsoever. I wouldn't even eat a piece of baked pie. It took getting into my 20's before I would eat one.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:39 PM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Born near the end of 1967, first memories basically just before and after 5 years old so more or less the 2nd half of 1972. What I remember then:

1) As others have said, first day of kindergarten.

2) Having my Saturday morning cartoons interrupted by a moon mission (no, not THAT one, I was only a couple of months short of 2 then, I think (I don't remember details of course but just guessing based on my age/date then) the very last one in December of 1972, Apollo 17).

3) Interruption of the same by Watergate hearings.

Old 07-24-2023, 11:20 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
A lot of memories, many insignificant, like just walking down a sidewalk or eating a watermelon. Don't know why my memory bank retained those since nothing special happened. Sometimes a certain sound, maybe a tune or a certain smell will trigger something and I get sent back in time where I experienced them before.

I do remember when I was in 2nd grade and we were walking to school and instead of following the streets we took a shortcut and followed the railroad tracks.
As we were throwing rocks at the empty boxcars I picked up one rock that looked completely different from all the others. It was a dark color with shiny specks in it, kind of cool looking.

My dad had watched a science show on TV about meteorites that week and an idea popped into my head. It was the day we had show and tell at school so I brought my rock to school along with a pack of lies, how it was a piece of a large meteor that broke off as it reached earth and my dad bought it from some museum.

I think most of the class absorbed my baloney, even the teacher. One kid kept asking me if I wanted to sell but I didn't know if he was serious until he pulled out some quarters from his pocket. I think I got about 70 cents from him plus the cupcake from his lunchbox.

All during class I noticed he kept examining it and playing with it at his desk until the teacher told him to put it in his pocket.
I have to go back over this thread, but this story was hilarious.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:50 AM

And he still hasn't told us what kind of rock it was!

Old 07-25-2023, 07:42 AM

25,441 posts, read 9,802,950 times
I remember pretending I was washing clothes in my car seat. I was 3 or 4.

Old 07-25-2023, 10:51 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,043,966 times
Actually I was googling something the other night that I remembered from my childhood.
I was about 5 years old, and all I wanted for Christmas was a Suzy Homemaker Washing Machine. I got one and loved it! It was seafoam green, hooked up to the water hose outside and actually washed and spun the clothes. I would dirty my Barbies's and doll clothes just so I could wash them. They sold small boxes of washing detergent too, they were about the size of a pack of cigarettes. My Mom used to wash her delicate stuff in it when I wasn't playing with it.

So I've always wondered, why do they not make those anymore? I wonder if someone got hurt somehow. Even 60 years later, I don't ever see toys like that. Also, I remember it to be a lot larger than they actually are. Maybe because I was 6? LOL. Anyway they do have some on Ebay but they're expensive.

Did anyone else on here have a Suzy Homemaker Washing Machine?

Old 07-25-2023, 12:14 PM

6,024 posts, read 2,843,063 times
When I was a freshman in college, I took a psychology class to fulfill a general education requirement. When we got to the memory section of the course, the PowerPoint presentation the professor had made stated "the human mind cannot form coherent memories before the age of five". I knew that was absolute drivel, because I have many memories of things that happened before I was five years old. In fact, while I still remember many things from that period, I can remember that when I was around ten or twelve years old, that I could remember even more from that period.

The oldest thing I remember, that I can put a date to, was when I was about eighteen months old. It was my first day of preschool, although it was an infant class, designed for infants to get used to being separated from their mothers. I was quite confused as to why my mother had left me in a place I had not been to before. I spent the entire time staring at the door, where she had handed me over to one of the teachers, waiting for her return!

I also remember 9/11, which may not seem like a big deal to most of you, except I was also around eighteen months old when that happened. I was sitting on the floor in front of the television, and on the screen was this building with smoke pouring out of it. I was far too young to understand the significance of that. Next thing I know, my mother screamed "Oh my god!". I looked to her and she was looking at the television in fright. I looked at the television and all I saw was smoke. The building was gone. I remember the news kept replaying that footage for the next month, it seemed. And, I remember asking myself, "Why do they keep showing that?", being too young to understand the gravity of what had happened that day.

I have a memory that I believe is even older than those, but I cannot put a date to it. But, all I know is that my psychology professor was absolutely wrong. The human mind is far too complex to make such an absolute statement.

Old 07-25-2023, 03:15 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
I didnt know where to put this so mods feel free to move it.

So what are some of your oldest memories and roughly how old were you? For instance, do you remember your first day of kindergarten? Do you remember any of your preschool aged birthday parties? Any other memories from a really young age?
These are my earliest memories:
  1. When I was about three, had to be 1960, I remember being taken to my great-aunt's house about 35 miles away from home by my grandmother. The two of them noticed I was a bit lethargic. I remember as my grandmother drove me down the Saw Mill Parkway saying "east west home is best."
  2. I remember about a year later my Dad tossing me in the air in the swimming pool at a club. I remember being a bit scared, and my Dad saying "I love you."
  3. Finally, at the beginning of kindergarten I remember, one morning, being marched up three stairs and heading into the nurse's office, and being given a sugar cube. They wouldn't give me another. I guess they wouldn't give two oral polio vaccines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology